***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

@Shine27

I’m fairly confident that NJMS only invites a subset of students forwarded for interviews. NJIT forwarding letters came out a while back, yet only some people have got invites from NJMS.

IDK what feeder school told you that, but it certainly seems like a bit of a misrepresentation.

@GreenPoison…very helpful - tx. Will post asap if we hear from NJMS…feeder school was TCNJ.

@FinesseTeam @Pragmatist22 @ppst @ @@JKNietzsche There are NO absolute minimum hrs of required physician shadowing and/or other medically related ECs, community services or research work. My DD had a minimal amount of these activities. Her other stats and the high school probably made up for any perceived deficiencies last year. So there is NO single formula.

Agree with the above post. There is no college of medicine (COM) going to accept any student(whether BS/MD or Regular) without interview. In BS/MD, universities who have their own college of medicine even if they do one interview alone (like NU HPME, CWRC, UofR or OU) have committee whose members from both UG program, COM directors and other folks. In case where COM is separate or the ones which have many UG feeder schools like NJMS, Drexel, AMC, will have their own second interview. Even if UG does not do an interview (like Union, RPI, Sienna), there will be an interview by COM.

Bottom line, with out some one in COM doing the interview, a student is not going to be accepted to a medical college.

Even for early assurance programs like SLU, Toledo there are interviews.

@Shine27 I read on this forum from a previous post- about 50% of TCNJ recommended candidates got an NJMS interview- something like 50/100.

@bsmdint FYI. See the post today on UC Riverside UG

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/2055492-please-help-with-course-selecting-for-competitive-med-schools.html#latest

@Empire007 @Shine27 @Pragmatist22 Thank you for your kind words! I received interviews from my three top choices, and I am absolutely ecstatic!

I am disappointed about the rejections, but I also understand that the admission process for any BS/MD is incredibly difficult to get through. I am grateful for the opportunities I have been given, and hopefully will be successful come interview time.

I wish the best of luck to everyone! :slight_smile:

That is not entirely true for certain programs. Example, VCU made it clear that strong candidates are the ones with several hundred hours of shadowing and I agree with you that can be very tough to do based on minimum age requirements in different states to be allowed to be a volunteer in a hospital. RPI/AMC looks for solid research experience and you really stand out if your work has been recognized at state and national level. What I’m trying to say is each program is different, what one program weighs heavily another may not. For future applicants do your research on the programs your applying to and try to speak to the program coordinator to find out from them what the program is really looking for. The required applicant stats they post on their website is just a starting point.

My interviewer from Rutgers told me they invited around 40 for phone interview and NJMS will pick around half of the ones recommended by Rutgers.

BS/MD programs send out their interview invites based on historical matriculant stats (test scores, GPA, ECs, awards, location, etc.)
(Basically, schools want all offered admission students to enroll.)

You can see these kinds of “syndromes” not only in BS/MD programs but also in UG admissions.
(Better stats sometimes might kill you, not help you)

IMO, based on the historical BS/MD (2016 and 2017) results from CC to adjust your application strategy for having the best results.

GL

Calm down everyone. It appears that with all good intentions people are sometimes getting carried away. A lot of people on this forum have a limited experience dealing with these admission issues. Most of us have either first child applying to these programs or maybe second. The purpose of the forum I think is to share that limited experience with others so that we have more data available for future applicants to base their decisions on. It is not a game that someone is right or wrong. I know most of us sometimes get carried away and act like an expert which none of us really is. We are on this forum to learn from other people’s experience. Even having one child in one of these programs and one starting this year and teaching in one such programs many years ago does not make me an expert. If anything the experience with my two kids has taught me I really do not understand a lots of things and probably know a lot less than a lot of other people at this forum. For some schools religious experience or serving the community is very important and for others grade and test scores are the primary criteria. No one size fits all. So the applicants should learn about school’s mission, programs’ requirements and also go through these forums so that they can make relatively informed decision. Also as I have mentioned in a previous post, anyone who does not get admitted to any one of these programs should go through the traditional route or even consider some of the BS/DO programs. All kids who apply to these programs are cream of the crop and have the capability to be successful in life. So do not give up, keep going and you will achieve your dreams.

Has UCONN SPIM come out?

Has anyone heard from Sophie Davis? We are OOS but I believe they do invite out of state students?

Has anyone heard from MSU after ADS written test?

I just got an interview invite for UIC GPPA! Does anyone know what goes on in a GPPA interview? I also got UMKC OOS

UAB no interview invite yet. How did you receive your UAB rejection…email or call…and when did you receive it.

BS/MD Interview Invites so far:
UMKC (OOS)
Mercer University (SCP)

Just stumbled upon this thread and damn is it bustling. Here’s what my situation looks like so far:

Case PPSP- Invited to interview
Pitt GAP- Rejected pre-interview

Literally waiting on last three programs (NJMS, Stony Brook, Wash&Jeff/Temple), looking like the end of my journey soon.

@GreenPoison I believe U Conn is mid Feb.

@ScholarGuy - are you IS or OOS for Stony Brook?