Ohio Roll Call - Bama (Past, Present, Future)

<p>We live in northwest Ohio and my kids will be taking an honors tour Monday, Oct. 10. Just wondering who else from Ohio is associated with UA.</p>

<p>We are in Cincinnati, DS started at Alabama this year.
[Kelly</a> Watson](<a href=“http://gobama.ua.edu/staff/counselor.cfm?id=62]Kelly”>http://gobama.ua.edu/staff/counselor.cfm?id=62), the representative that covers Ohio,
put together a (voluntary) Freshman student directory,
and a separate parents directory for the Southern half of Ohio
so students and parents can get in touch, there are 68 students
on this years list. I’m guessing she did the same for Northern Ohio
as well </p>

<p>I just got an email from Kelly about parents and alum’s that are getting together for game parties as well.</p>

<p>68 students from Southern Ohio? Very good!</p>

<p>Welcome HersheyBear!!! Please post after your tour and let us know how it goes. And, let us know if you have any questions.</p>

<p>HersheyBear…If you haven’t already, please post on our State Roll Call thread. :slight_smile:
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1096387-what-state-everybody-roll-call.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1096387-what-state-everybody-roll-call.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I think I’m going to do a cum total post for that thread that people can add themselves to (copy/paste wise)…so it will be easier to see overall info…</p>

<p>^^^
Some people opted not to be included on the list, how many I don’t know.<br>
The list looks like it includes anyone from Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati and surrounds and a few (5) in Cincinnati’s Southern suburbs in Northern Ky</p>

<p>Kelly did a nice job, emails, majors, interests, hometowns etc.
BTW; looks like a little less than half (29) are in Honors</p>

<p>Hi HersheyBear! We are from North East Ohio!</p>

<p>My D is a current junior majoring in Psychology. We also have another hometown girl who is a current freshman. She has meet several incoming freshman from the greater Cleveland area!</p>

<p>D loves Bama! If you have any questions feel free to ask away!</p>

<p>We are from Lima. Bama has the most active and informative CC site of the schools we are checking. We would not be touring UA if not for Bama CC</p>

<p>m2ck - I posted on the State Roll call thread. Thanks for being so helpful.</p>

<p>Welcome HersheyBear!
I live just east of Columbus. Alabama found my current Senior who was a NMF in 2007. I also have a Freshman that accepted the Presidential Scholarship. My Senior is in the CBHP and also 4x Varsity Athlete. Although my older son at UA applied And was offered the NMF Scholarship, UA was at the bottom of his list of 11 schools. I convinced him to visit UA during his senior year Spring Break. With in 1 week, UA was his choice school. Why? You have to experience a visit to understand.<br>
If you have any questions, this forum is worth it’s weight in gold. Please report your experience after your visit. The UA website is jam packed with information. I encourage you to ask lots of questions during your visit.<br>
Please share with us what your daughter’s academic interests are.</p>

<p>My sons think they are interested in a pre-med curriculum. They are currently looking at Ohio State, Cincy, Miami of Ohio, Case Western, UMich, Penn State, Villanova, Pitt, and Alabama (no particular order). How does your son like CBHP and what sport does he play?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Ahhh…you have twins? Which scholarships do they qualify for?</p>

<p>(FYI…Penn St is LOUSY with merit aid…only about $5k per year if you’re in Shreyers)</p>

<p>My younger son is pre-med at Bama and loves it. His major is Chemical Engineering. He was just telling me last night about his Tissue Engineering class…loves the prof. </p>

<p>What majors are your sons interested in doing as pre-med students? </p>

<p>Be sure to tell Allison in honors that your sons are pre-med and want to see the new Science and Engineering Complex. And, they may want to meet with Mr. Chris Hutt, director of Pre-Health.</p>

<p>Also…sign up to be on the ListServ for Pre-health students…go to the link on the bottom…
[The</a> University of Alabama Health Professions Advising Website](<a href=“http://premed.ua.edu/]The”>http://premed.ua.edu/)</p>

<p>They were just named NMSF so we’re hoping NMF.</p>

<p>Penn St. is my alma mater and I keep telling my sons I don’t think they will receive much if any aid from PSU. I’m a big fan of state public schools (preferably the state where one lives!) if you have to pay out of pocket.</p>

<p>Did your son consider BSMD program at UAB?</p>

<p>Sons are thinking Chemistry.</p>

<p>Yes, my son considered applying to the BS/MD program at UAB, but decided not to apply because he really wanted the full campus experience that Bama offers. </p>

<p>For an OOS student, it’s very hard to get into the BS/MD program. I think only 10 students total are chosen, and most of those are instate. And, since the OOS COA for the The University of Alabama School of Medicine is $80k per year, that’s not that appealing to OOS students who have less expensive instate options.</p>

<p>*They were just named NMSF so we’re hoping NMF.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Congrats!</p>

<p>If your sons’ GPAs are fine, their SATs at least 2000, they aren’t discipline problems, and they do the paperwork correctly, then they will make NMF. Be sure to send their SAT scores to NMCorp… #0085</p>

<p>And, be sure that their high school sends in the completed paperwork on time as well.</p>

<p>HersheyBear, Yes! my son loves the CBHP.<br>
My son had no interest in CBHP but completed the application long after the deadline had past at Dean Halli’s request. Dean Halli (Retired) met my son on his campus visit and insisted that my son complete the application. My son did so even thou he still did not understand the program. As a Mathematics Major, my son told Dean Halli of his interest in Predictive Analytics / Data Mining and his desire to focus on non-for profit fundraising. My son was offered a coveted spot only two weeks before he left for Bama. </p>

<p>As for athletics, my son walked on to the Cross Country & Track teams. He is not even close to being one of the top runners but certainly contributes to the team in other ways. He has earned Academic All American two times and NCAA Elite 88 at last year’s National Championship. </p>

<p>Are your sons athletes as well? </p>

<p>If you are concerned about how top students balance their studies and team obligations, first year athletes are REQUIRED to attend mandatory study hall. We even got progress reports with comments from their instructors. If your sons are disciplined students now, they should have no problem making the transition to college. </p>

<p>I also want to point out that Alabama allows incoming students to bring in upto 45 credit hours from AP and/or Post Secondary classes. Many NMF students arrive on campus as Sophomores. This helps with priority scheduling for classes AND housing.</p>

<p>Hersheybear: There’s a poster named Parent56 with a student @ UAB. Hopefully she’ll pop in and give you some insight here.</p>

<p>Hersheybear… if you would like more info on uab, chemistry program, chem scholars, sci/tech honors, bsmd etc…feel free to pm me. I think you may be missing out on an incredible school for chem student by thinking they wouldnt get a “full college experience”… they would! The research opportunities are exceptional and for sciences, i think it is a top school in the state.</p>

<p>m3bz - My boys participate in cross-country, swimming, and tennis. Currently, they don’t have any interest in competing at the collegiate level. Did your son feel like cross-country compromised his grades at all and do you think slightly lower grades would hinder one’s chances of getting into a graduate or professional program?</p>

<p>*do you think slightly lower grades would hinder one’s chances of getting into a graduate or professional program? *</p>

<p>Since your boys are interested in med school, I wouldn’t do anything to jeopardize their grades. The semesters that they are taking OChem and the other pre-reqs are so important. Those courses are “weeders” on any campus. </p>

<p>The semesters that my son took OChem, he only worked a couple of hours per week…and that was on a Friday! He didn’t want anything to get in the way with preparation.</p>

<p>And, as you probably know, the cum GPA isn’t the only thing that matters…the BCMP GPA is very important. </p>

<p>If your boys plan on using any of their science AP credits, then they have to replace them with “higher” courses for med school. </p>

<p>Another Tip (which you may already know)…when you apply to med school, AMCAS recalculates everyone’s GPA. An A- is about a 3.7…so just one A- will keep a student from having a 4.0 GPA. An A+ is only a 4.0 so it won’t give you a boost.</p>

<p>“m3bz - My boys participate in cross-country, swimming, and tennis. Currently, they don’t have any interest in competing at the collegiate level. Did your son feel like cross-country compromised his grades at all and do you think slightly lower grades would hinder one’s chances of getting into a graduate or professional program?”</p>

<p>In my son’s case, athletics did not hinder his grades (current GPA 4.0). I can honestly say, I don’t think anything will disrupt his driven, over achieving character. My son is involved in many other activities besides academics and athletics. He has also been asked to apply for the Rhodes Scholarship. My son personally knows of at least 10 other Varsity Athletes that have 4.0 GPA’s that are either premed, math or engineering majors. If your boys are good at time management now, this should continue into college. </p>

<p>Just curious, what are each of your boys PR’s in XC?<br>
The Cross Country Walk-On Standards can be found on [ALABAMA</a> CRIMSON TIDE - University of Alabama Official Athletic Site - Track & Field, Cross Country](<a href=“http://www.rolltide.com/sports/c-xctrack/spec-rel/m-walk-on-standards.html]ALABAMA”>http://www.rolltide.com/sports/c-xctrack/spec-rel/m-walk-on-standards.html)</p>

<p>for pre-meds it’s not just the GPA demands it is also the research, volunteering, and shadowing demands. Acceptance to med schools is 40% GPA, 40% MCAT, and 20% medically-related ECs.</p>

<p>I have 2 Bama sons. One who graduated as a math major in May who is now a PhD student at a top university. He graduated 4.0 and had two minors…Computer-based Honors and Philosophy. </p>

<p>My other son is a Chemical Engineering major who is also pre-med. He has 3 minors…Chemistry, Biology, and Math. He is also 4.0 and will be inducted into Phi Beta Kappa this Dec because he also has enough Arts & Science credits (it’s rare for an engineering student to make PBK because 90 A&S credits are required.) I can tell you that this son’s schedule is more demanding than my older son’s…by far. </p>

<p>My point is that if the goal is medicine, I would not do anything to jeopardize that. There are no “do-overs”. The pre-med route is the most unforgiving route. </p>

<p>As challenging as the PhD process was for son #1, the med school process will be even more challenging.</p>

<p>“Just curious, what are each of your boys PR’s in XC?
The Cross Country Walk-On Standards can be found on ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE - University of Alabama Official Athletic Site - Track & Field, Cross Country”</p>

<p>My one son did a 16:23 as a freshman at the state meet. My other son’s PR is a little bit longer (not sure exactly).</p>

<p>Have your boys look into the Computer-Based Honors Program. That is really a good thing for pre-med students.</p>