Ohio State Class of 2025 Official Thread

This is my third kid to go through the application cycle. I’ve always encouraged them to apply EA. To be honest, I think EA benefited S17 much more than S21. I think the game has changed. It feels like most kids are deferred in the EA round. It didn’t feel this way with S17. JMO

2 Likes

Not sure I agree with that. My daughter and those she knew who applied EA and had the academic background that clearly met OSU’s entrance requirements were admitted in Early December and than a second group in January. Those she knew who had GPA, test scores etc that were borderline or lower were deferred.

I was speaking in general terms, not necessarily OSU. It was just an opinion based on feeling - no data to back it up. Happy for your daughter and her friends.

My son has statistics that are within the admission parameters at OSU. I don’t feel like he was given any advantage by applying early specifically at OSU. I feel like he’s in the back of the line now because he was deferred. He has been admitted to the honors college at a comparable university.

1 Like

It’s difficult to know each year how the view the admissions class and now each compares. If this year they have more student me with higher GPA, test scores etc than what got someone admitted early or at all last year doesn’t necessarily apply. Case in point, had my daughter been a senior last year at one particular school she would have received an offer equal to about $28k per year as an OOS student. This year due to the larger number of applicants and higher grades and scores she was only offered $15k. You just can’t base it on what happened last year…it’s just a basic measure.

1 Like

I think that’s true for some, not all. My son has a B+ average, but has taken a decent amount of rigor (5 AP’s and a few honors) with a 1450 SAT. His friend has similar gpa with a 33 ACT and both were deferred. Yet, at my friends school, lots of kids with A and A- gpas in all regular classes with no test score got accepted.

Was rank a factor perhaps?

Our HS doesn’t rank.

I’ve noticed some schools really like high gpa over rigor or scores, which annoys me because wouldn’t they want to invest in the kid who challenges themselves even if it results in a few Bs?

3 Likes

That said, my son who attends Ohio State had a lot of rigor, some Bs sprinkled in, and a 32 ACT (along with good ECs), so I didn’t think of OSU as a school that ignored rigor.

1 Like

Any given year there are a number of factors including demographics which play a role in admissions decisions…its not strictly academic

So no chance deferred students will hear back tommorow?

Any noise today?

1 Like

Crickets… have a feeling they will hold to March 26 date.

Same here!

Was wondering if anyone had heard more about the dorm living situation for the Fall. Using Taylor Tower as an example, Will they limit to only 2 students per room max or allow 3 and 4 person rooms? Thanks.

Based on the recent updates to the housing site, I think they are hedging their bets a little bit. Taylor Tower : Residence Halls : Housing and Residence Education indicates that some of the rooms will be 2-per room at housing rate 1 (more expensive) and then some of the rooms will be 4 person at housing rate 2A (a bit cheaper). Pre-COVID, I think all of these rooms were 4 person at Rate 1…

I emailed housing and the response I got back was a bit of “we’re still trying to figure this out” so I’m thinking they are trying to make a judgement call as to where COVID will be in the fall.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I agree and think they are still trying to finalize things. Please post if you get any updated info. I will do the same.

Deferred during first round of EA and still have not heard back? Pre med.

Looks like March 26… this is a long wait…