Ohio State Class of 2025 Official Thread

We got one Thursday. It was a welcome letter from college of engineering. Not sure if other majors have the same thing with their college but it was a nice touch.

@collegedna Thank you for the response. We (and Iā€™m sure everyone else) are anxiously awaiting and hoping for some news on scholarships.

@H0llyw00d It seems like last year the scholarship details letter came at least a month after acceptance. It was not included in the acceptance letter.

My son received the welcome letter from the college of engineering but never received an admission packet from the school. Our mail has been crazy slow lately. Hope it wasnā€™t lost in the mail.

The acceptance letter that my daughter got said scholarship info would be received by March.

CollegeMom98 - would you mind sharing your sonā€™s credentials? My son is still in ā€œevaluationā€ at OSU - College of Eng. Heā€™s a 4.0 UW, 4.6 W with a strong AP/Honors background and 4 years of Eng PLTW. Iā€™m surprised he hasnā€™t heard.

I really donā€™t think ā€˜credentialsā€™ matter with tOSU admissions.

Your kid was either in the lucky Dec 11 pile or the unlucky Jan 29 pile.

BTW, your son will likely be accepted with merit.

Did anyone receive scholarship notifications? When will they give us information about scholarships and Financial Aid?

What do you mean by lucky Dec 11, and unlucky Jan 29? Do you mean in terms of just waiting longer, or something else?

tOSU stated that they will release decisions on 2 dates - Dec 11 and Jan 29. Anyone who received their decision on Dec 11 was lucky (I doubt this had much to do with the applicantsā€™ credentials) and anyone who has to wait until Jan 29 is relatively unlucky.

BTW, this is my opinion, not a matter of fact.

@ohiowill Believe it or not, I donā€™t think strength of application correlates to when you hear at all. Last year my son didnā€™t hear until mid January, but was offered a lot of scholarship money, so they clearly thought he was a strong applicant. This year my daughter applied with a 4.0 UW, 10 APs, 35 ACT and hasnā€™t heard anything. But I know, the waiting is hard!

3 Likes

@zlatan99 I translated the word ā€œunluckyā€ as simply having to wait longer.

@hopeforthebest123 Nothing on scholarships. Someone we know called Admissions who said scholarship notifications will be in the Feb/March timeframe.

2 Likes

Sure! My son has a 92 gpa unweighted. His class rank is 12/149. He has 6 APs: AP Environmental Science, AP Chemistry, AP European History, AP Psychology, AP Calculus AB and AP Physics along with 11 Honors classes. He participates in Theoretical Physics Club, Science Bowl, Model UN, Key Club, Ping Pong Club, and Varsity Tennis. For leadership, he was named junior captain of the boys varsity tennis team just prior to the pandemic and is now Vice President of the Model UN Senior year. Your son sounds like a very strong candidate to me. I have to believe that the date decisions are released is completely random. Best of luck to you and your son! Waiting for admissions decisions is really hard. My son has received 5 acceptances so far but is still waiting to hear from another 5.

Forgot to mention that he applied test optional.

Question, my daughter got a letter today from Ohio State, just a small envelope congratulating her into her major, and school. Is there an actual big envelope packet that comes also, or is it just the small letter? Thanks

We got a large letter a couple weeks ago. It had no information about scholarships, unfortunately. The OOS scholarships I hope are awarded soon so we can begin making decisions!

3 Likes

@socalgb I think we have another month or two before we hear about scholarships. That seems to be the buzz (but I donā€™t know first hand, only through a few of my D21ā€™s friends who called admissions and inquired about it).

1 Like

In past years, scholarship information didnā€™t come until at least February. I remember all of my friends that graduated last year talking about receiving theirs around that time.

1 Like

Correct. In 2019 my son got his scholarship letter on February 8, 2019. He had received his acceptance letter in early December 2018.

1 Like

Thought Iā€™d start the thread for those applying this fall. Ohio State announced today that they will be test optional this year.

ā€œBecause of the challenges surrounding standardized tests caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, The Ohio State University has made the submission of SAT or ACT test scores optional for current high school students and transfer students applying to the Columbus campus for 2021.ā€

https://news.osu.edu/act-and-sat-scores-are-optional-for-2021-ohio-state-applications/