Ohio State Class of 2025 Official Thread

Was told a few weeks about a week ago. Honors and Scholars says under review.

I’ll add, it’s automatic in that you don’t need to do anything else to apply for it or be eligible for it (maybe that’s what they meant?). But like I said, you don’t automatically get awarded the scholarship for certain stats.

@pacnwfromne I will tell you that my son applied in 2017. He had a rigorous transcript, 93 GPA with AP’s, Honors & College Courses with a 32 on his ACT. He did not get money, and Admissions couldn’t explain why. They said not everyone gets it. I am anxious, hoping my daughter fares better than my son did. My son ultimately chose a school that showed him some love.

1 Like

many are getting confused, as the people who get denied are shown as “deffered to lima campus” (or any off campus). so many people think they are deffered but are actually rejected. this is messed up because many people think they still have a chance, see if yours says “deffered to an off campus”

mine just says deferred

Hey can you copy and paste the deferral letter please?

Nevermind just got it

This applies to in-state students only. Lima, Marion, Newark, Wooster, and Mansfield are all branch campuses. In-State students can’t be outright denied to Ohio State, rather they will be admitted/deferred to a regional campus and take classes for 1-2 years before transferring to main campus.

In-state students can’t be denied? I wasn’t aware of that. My twins got into main campus, but I didn’t realize that all Ohio students were guaranteed to get into one of OSU’s locations.

i talked to my admissions counselor this morning and asked about letters of continued interest, he said to not send anymore materials other than if they are asked for. he was very nice and thanked me for letting him personally know about my interest.

1 Like

This is not really unique to OSU, most states have open enrollment to their community colleges (i.e. guaranteed acceptance with the state HS diploma) and a guaranteed transfer agreement between their in state community colleges and public universities.

For example, the Virginia Community College System even has a guaranteed transfer agreement with public and private universities in the state including UVA, Virginia Tech and William & Mary (and nearly all of the community colleges are open enrollment).

The OSU regional campuses are basically community colleges with guaranteed acceptance and a transfer agreement to main campus. There are added benefits with this system though because they are all housed under the OSU umbrella.

For any of these states though the transfer agreements always come with GPA and credits earned requirements and they only guarantee admission to the universities not to any particular program, and transfer spots into programs are limited.

Upon requesting a copy of my transcripts I noticed that my SAT and but not ACT test scores were on there. Talking to my counsellor I discovered that they were automatically submitted via college board etc. There was no way to remove them as they were part of the official record. After discussing this with an educational advocate , we discovered that this violated the student’s rights per FERPA. We approached the principal and superintendent who agreed this was a violation (after maybe a threat or 2 from a few parents to sue) it was redacted from the official transcripts. This happened one day before a lot of the early application deadlines. My guidance counsellor was very glad to have this done as it was out of her hands. Essentally scores cannot be released without students permission. Will the college unsee the scores? Doubtful, but it sounds like those were PSAT scores, which in my district those were provided and funded by the school and therefore part of the record. Most of these were taken by 10th graders so I would assume most colleges would not really put much credence in those scores unless of course they were very high.

Interesting. Thanks for the info! I wasn’t aware that state schools did this.

and do you know what those grades and tests scores need to be
? We are OOS also, accepted back in December and no info on any $

They told me merit money is coming out be end of February for admitted students

If I recall last year was 1420 SAT and top 5% for the bigger scholarships. Not sure why they are doing this year.

We are OOS and in the same situation. My middle son was accepted as a direct admit to Fisher back in December. I just spoke to the office that deals with scholarships. She confirmed that a first round of scholarship offers went out in late January but there will be more offers this month.

My older son is a junior at OSU. When he applied there was a definite SAT/ACT minimum score to be considered for a scholarship. I think there was a minimum class rank as well. While my older son met those parameters, he was not awarded any money. I was basically told that the scholarship money was offered to applicants “higher” on the list.

The person I just spoke to confirmed that this year there are not any SAT/ACT, GPA or class rank minimums to be considered. She said it was mainly due to the test optional environment.

Still waiting to hear back from honors as well.

1 Like

The 27th of Jan they said they are on a rolling basis and will be done in the next few weeks.

My daughter was accepted in December, in state. We received in the mail a postcard this week stating that they were preparing her financial aid offer and that we would receive an email with the offer beginning in late Feb.

2 Likes

@LDL Does that mean ACT/SAT scores are not considered at all when it comes to giving out scholarships? I wondered if they would look purely at academics for merit distribution or if there are some other criteria.