On the right track for sophmore transfer?

<p>I was really hoping to attend UW-Madison last year (freshman year) however I was denied. In high school I had a 3.3 GPA with a 24 on the ACT. During my senior year of high school I attended a college in Minnesota and took 18 credits in the post secondary program, my overall GPA from these 18 credits was a 3.53. Through the first semester of my freshman year at my college in North Dakota I am taking a courseload of 16 credits and as of right now my GPA is 3.81 and I do not see that dropping by much, worst case scenario, I would project a 3.6. I am in the honors program at my school and I participate in lacrosse and I am in hall goverment. I will be sending my application to UW in december and Im not totally sure where I stand with the work I have done so far. I am hoping that because I will have the extra credits from my post secondary work that they will not look into my high school grades as much during the decisions. If you could give me any input on how well my chances look that would be great, thanks.</p>

<p>Looks good for a transfer. Good luck.</p>

<p>Im concerned about my courseload this first semester, which will be the grades the will review in my application.</p>

<p>My schedule is as follows
-geography 151
-geography 121
-geography lab (1 credit)
-Honors 101
-English 120
-Comm 110</p>

<p>For whatever reason my advisor stuck me in a bunch of geography classes, will this look too one sided when it comes to breadth? Next semester I will be in an econ,math, psychology, humanities, and an honors class. Will this even things out a bit in their mind to add to the breadth of my schedule?</p>

<p>The course numbers don’t mean much to us but I’m assuming one of those is physical geography counting for lab science. Do you have an intended major yet? Looks like you are taking a bunch of gen ed classes and exploring which is fine. Physical geograpy should be ok for a social science, humanites, business major etc. I don’t particularly like when you say your advisor stuck you in courses. While it may take a little administrative perseverance at times, you are ultimately in charge of and responsible for what courses you take.</p>

<p>Annoyingdad makes a good point. Particularly at a large state university like UW, you have to be in the driver’s seat.</p>

<p>Getting admitted is only the first step in getting a degree. As stated YOU have to make plans to fulfill degree requirements for your chosen major. It is YOUR education, take charge to succeed. A lopsided set of courses merely means you may need more courses to meet requirements at UW. Somewhere on the Registrar’s website of UW there is a way to find out how other institution’s credits transfer- explore that site and ask questions of them if you need to find out how far your current school’s work will get you in meeting UW degree requirements. YOU need to do the researching.</p>

<p>Alright Jeez I wasn’t looking to get chastised for my question. I know I have to take control of selecting my classes and such. I was a little unsure on decision making for my first semester of college, I apologize for not having prior experience… I highly doubt that if I take a bit of variety in my schedule this year that it will set me back as far as my major requirements go once I would be at Madison, every student needs several electives anyway, if they don’t transfer as core classes they will fit in as electives. I would think coming in with 50 credits as a sophmore would ensure that I wouldn’t have to be so concerned about that kind of problem.</p>

<p>The type/quality of credits, not the quantity ultimately matters. A good college record will help with a so-so HS one. Many students do transfer who were rejected as freshmen, they prove they can handle UW college level work by their courses and grades elsewhere. Those 50 credits may or may not yield 50 UW credits, and you may still lack the required breadth required. You can do the research as outlined in another post and have a better idea of where you would stand at UW. It would help to do this before you decide your next semester’s schedule.</p>

<p>Please note the concerns were not chastisement but the perennial reminder to new college students to start thinking like an adult in charge of their life instead of the HS model. You will be much more successful at UW (or anywhere) if you know your major and where you are heading. Advisors are not guidance counselors- they don’t tell you what to do, they offer possible choices and you make the official decisions.</p>

<p>@MadisonHopeful</p>

<p>Your GPA looks good, just make sure you take time to craft a good statement with your application.</p>

<p>Also, see if you can get a couple of letters of recommendation. If not, it isn’t a big deal, but it’s my feeling that it tends to bolster an applicants overall resume.</p>

<p>I am also a transfer student, having been recently been accepted in September for the Spring 2010 semester, so best of luck in transferring=)</p>

<p>Transfer Class of 2008*
Applied 5,957
Completed Application** 3,787
Admitted 2,575
Admit Rate of Applied 43%
Admit Rate of Completed 68%
Enrolled 1,650
Yield 64% </p>

<p><em>Transfer enrollment considers all
terms (fall, spring, and summer)
*</em>A completed application includes
the application, fee, and all transcripts</p>

<p>…Just found this information on the UW Website, they talk about the amount of applicants that “applied” and also the applicants that actually completed their apps. Are they saying that that many apps are not thoroughly completed so they are not valid? If this is so a 64% transfer rate is pretty high, im surprised. I could be misinterpreting the information though.</p>

<p>When I applied there was about a month that passed before Madison sent me a letter requesting additional information as well as assigning me a net ID. </p>

<p>Perhaps they look at an applicant and see if they meet the bare minimum requirements (correct number of high school credits or something) and if they don’t, they immediately reject them. </p>

<p>If that’s the case, it would explain the two different acceptance rates, since those that have completed their application would be the ones that got through the initial ‘screening process’, so to speak, and thus having cleared one hurdle would have a higher chance of getting in.</p>

<p>This is just a guess though, I would be interested to know the answer if anyone knows=)</p>