One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I’ll put those on my list. Thanks!

1 Like

Dysfunctional family dramas…. Have you read any Alexandra Fuller’s? Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfullness is her first one I read (gotta love that name) but it was the sequel to Don’t Let’s Go to the Dogs Tonight. Think of Glass Castle in Africa!

6 Likes

I just finished reading Don’t Let’s Go to the Dogs Tonight, so here’s another :+1: for it or rather author Alexandra Fuller. (Hmm … I wonder if I should read her Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness.)

I also read and liked The Dutch House and The Nest and will be starting The Latecomer soon.

2 Likes

I finished my first audio book in a long time - Spare by Prince Harry. I’m not going to post on the “royal” thread because that thread is A LOT (and I’m no expert!). And while I have not been a royal watcher - just having the amount of info that the average American might have when a royal event occurs, I have to say I really absorbed the book, appreciated Harry telling it himself (literally) and really had my eyes opened to what his life has been like and the toll his mother’s death took on him. Even if it’s not all true (I don’t choose to NOT believe but also know "there’s two sides to every story) he has had an emotional tough go of it.

10 Likes

Yes, I agree and also recommend the audiobook. I would say more true than not, given the UK libel laws. (Some have said he actually left out more details/incidents—he could publish only what he could prove to be true.)

2 Likes

I will definitely add that to my list! Loved both The Glass Castle and Don’t Let’s go to the Dogs Tonight!

1 Like

I am thr last person in the USA to read Cloud Cuckoo Land, which I resisted bc I thought there’s no way any book could live up to that kind of hype.

So, I was wrong, wrong, wrong :joy:

8 Likes

I read it about a year ago. I liked it but didn’t recall loving it. I went back and checked…. it was not marked as one of my favorites in my 2022 list.

Remarkably Bright Creatures was good. I’ve never read a book that had the POV of an octopus before.

2 Likes

I read it earlier this year, and so far it is marked in bold (potential 2023 favorite … at the end of the year I sometimes juggle to make sure it is a small-ish list of annual favorites)

2 Likes

Loved it. And the voice of the Octopus on Audible was perfect.

2 Likes

Now I’m sad that I read it instead of listening to it.

1 Like

I almost think we need another book thread about what books work well with Audible - I have listened to some great books with meh narration and others that work perfectly. Wish I knew about the Octopus too - enjoyed reading, but guessing I would have walked more each day listening :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Daisy Jones takes the cake on this one.

I am glad by mother died by jennette mccurdy was excellent on audio - agree daisy jones was also great on audio.

2 Likes

Yes to both!

I’ve only read the first 39 pages (of 369) of Lady Justice: Women, the Law and the Battle to Save America, because that’s how much I could read for free when googling the book.

It was recommended to me by a lawyer I know. It’s interesting for those who are concerned about what is happening with topical issues from a legal perspective. That said, it wont appeal to everyone. I’ll include a Goodreads link since I haven’t finished it yet.

It’s an expensive book so I was waiting to buy it once the price dropped. I always check the kindle deal of the day books and was pleasantly surprised to see it on sale today for $1.99!

5 Likes

Thanks so much for your post! I adore Dahlia Lithwick, so I just downloaded the book on sale. I think you have qualified me for the Best Buy of the Day thread :grinning:

3 Likes

Thank you!!! Just bought it!!!

1 Like

“The House of Eve”. Really good.

1 Like