one point away from NHRP....

<p>so i literally missed the cutoff score for my state by ONE stupid point. if i am not an NHRP, is my hispanic status now useless?</p>

<p>helloo? bbumpbumpbumpp</p>

<p>Are you class of 2011 or 2012? If it’s 2012, I don’t think the cutoff scores have been announced yet. Maybe someone else knows. They shift a little bit from year to year.</p>

<p>If you mis the NHRP designation, you will not get the offers form colleges that send out letters to those particular students. I don’t think the colleges get the scores, just who is named as part of the NHRP. In terms of your ethnicity being “useless,” it can still be a factor in admissions even if you are not NHRP. I don’t think “useless” is the right word. Also, it sounds like you did well on the PSAT, meaning that you should prepare for the SAT, which will be significant.</p>

<p>From your posting history, it looks like you’re a current sr. No, not being NHRP does not nulify your status as Hispanic. NHRP does these things for you:</p>

<ol>
<li>Can be listed as an award on your application.</li>
<li>Some schools give merit awards for NHRP.</li>
<li>NHRP sends a list to specific schools and thus gets you on the radar of these schools.</li>
</ol>

<p>If you have marked Hispanic on your college apps, you will still be considered Hispanic. Where did you get the impression otherwise?</p>

<p>You’re right…i didn’t mean to say ‘useless’, what I really am asking is if adcoms think “Oh she’s hispanic…no NHRP? …Oh.”. </p>

<p>Clearly I am exaggerating, but I simply am curious if it can hurt me.</p>

<p>THanks entomom, you are an amazing help on CC.</p>

<p>Some colleges pay more attention to NHRP than others. In some cases, it’s used for recruitment. If you had it, they would notice. But I doubt that someone will look at your application and mark you down for not being NHRP. They will decided based on the different parts of the application.</p>

<p>NHRP allows you to select a few schools to send a special notification from the college board telling them that you are a scholar and you are interested in their school. It is a little like an special heads up that you are seriously interested in their school. I think this was one of the benefits of my son’s status. He used it for VCU-honors and CMU and both accepted him but probably more because of his art portfolio/stats than because of his NHS designation or for his ethnicity. There were a couple of schools that had special scholarships for NHS but most offered scholarships for high achieving minority students through a competitive application process. Thus, the NHS designation was a small bump (like any other recognized achievement) but the portfolio, high SAT scores, good grades were the main factors for admission and scholarships at very competitive schools, apparently, with minority status perhaps being a factor in some of the larger, mid-level schools.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I didn’t know about this, do you just contact NHRP by phone or email using the info on the CB website?</p>

<p>As I remember, when he received the notification from NHRP they gave him a form but also said he could fill in his preferences online. I think that is the biggest benefit of the program because it allowed him to show definite interest in a school which, of course, they like because they know that the kid is not just playing them as a safety. So my S did put down his safety and a very competitive school but his safety was a close second to the competitive one. He did get a tuition scholarship from the safety but I don’t know if it was related to the NH scholar designation and his choosing them as one of his top schools, or whether it was from his art portfolio or, (i think), because he wrote a really funny essay…I thought after reading that he should give up on art and go into creative writing… It would be really nice to know why a kid gets a certain scholarship…you always wonder</p>

<p>I just took a look at the letter D2 received from NHRP, no form and the only thing they say in the letter is:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Maybe they’ve changed things??</p>