Online AP courses

If someone were to take NCAA online ap courses or online AP courses provided by colleges, with school admin disapproval. Could that person still take it and have the course provider send
their own official transcript to the colleges being applied to? Also, if so and if the online course and the ap exam is taken with a passing score, how will it affect the weighted GPA, and will it? Thank you.

Took a stab at an answer, but the key is: why do you want to take APs through an outside provider, and why doesn’t your school want you to do that?

Taking the course through a provider not affiliated with your HS won’t show on your school transcript. You can take the exam- but unless the provider provides a test site you have to find your own. That can be challenging.

More importantly, having what will be considered ‘self-studied’ AP scores will NOT improve your chances of admission to US colleges and unis.

IF your goal is to apply to international unis and your HS doesn’t provide / allow enough AP options to meet the entrance requirements the usual path is to self-study- all they want is your AP score, not the class (whereas in the US admissions committees value the class over the score).

IF your problem is that you have topped out on classes in your school then the usual path is community college classes, not APs.

1 Like

My kids took online AP classes with VHS Learning https://vhslearning.org and Aventa Learning aventalearning.com. But we got approval from the school first. Reasons would include a scheduling problem, a course not offered by the school or, in one case, concerns about the quality of teaching by a particular teacher.

In our family, one kid was a performer outside of school and another had medical issues.

We actually got our school to join VHS with foundation funding, and 25 students could take a class with them each semester, for free. We paid around $400 for both schools.

It is much easier to get school approval, and then the online courses are in the transcript. We wrote a not explaining why classes were taken online.

1 Like

Can you clarify what you are asking? Are you trying to increase your NCAA GPA and your HS won’t allow you to add/replace any of those courses/grades on the transcript? Or something else, like the posters mentioned above?

That’s a useful add, @compmom

we’ve had a kid switch HS; and know others who have switched. The AP classes come with them; the grade shows, but it does not count toward the GPA of the new school.

most schools - and colleges - dont combine gpas from different schools. So, an AP taken elsewhere might provide college credit at your college, or, if it is from an approved HS offering that class it could be on your HS transcript when transferring the credit in. But, the GRADE in the class doesnt transfer or combine.

you could ask your high school you are graduating from if they will show the AP class on your transcript and if it transfers in from an accredited high school. And, potentially the grade would be on the transcript. But again, from what we’ve seen, most high schools won’t count classes at other high schools in their GPA.

if you are trying to up your NCAA gpa by taking other classes outside your school . . . that’s something i know nothing about. have you asked the NCAA?

1 Like

The school admin thinks I do not need to take APs outside of school, I asked for permission and they said no. I think it is because they have bias against online courses and/or me. I want to seek more learning opportunities and they are discouraging me. Many students left the school I go to because of them. Thank y’all for any help.

I also wanted to directly take AP Calculus BC without taking AB first. But he said no. He said the reason was that I am only in 9th grade and that the two previous students who took BC took AB. (Are those even good reasons?).

I also did the math and whether having it affect my GPA or not won’t make a very big difference. Sorry for all the confusion. This is my first time asking questions on a forum.

Also, most people who go to the community college in my area are people who didn’t get accepted into any other colleges. So I worry about the quality of the classes.

Once again. Thank y’all, and sorry about the confusion.

1 Like

My daughter’s HS treats Calc AB and Calc BC as sequential courses and requires Calc AB before Calc BC and I know others do to - so that’s not rare.

Oh, I thought it was just the admin because other schools in my area aren’t like that. Thank you.

There is a mix around the country - some sequence AB then BC, some have student choose AB or BC, and some track so that precalc is targeted for future entry into AB or BC (two precalc options).

Thank you for letting me know.