OOS Scholarships?

<p>I have heard there are very few scholarships at UW for out of state students. My D applied for whatever was available on the UW scholarship website. Has anyone here gotten anything besides the need based Chancellors scholarships? My D is a NMF but they only give those out based on need as well. If you did get anything, when were you notified? It is getting close to time to make a decision, and it would be nice to know what the final cost will be.</p>

<p>As has been discussed ad nauseum on this site, chances of OOS scholarships of any kind are slim. Even in-states are very, very tough. The economy hasn’t helped, either. My D was not a Nat’l Merit Finalist but she was a 4.0 with a high ACT, and got in last year with no scholarship offered. This year she could have been waitlisted.</p>

<p>Plan on your OOS costs–unless she gets outside money–to be in the mid 30’s.</p>

<p>One thing, tho–My D LOVES Madison & it’s the perfect place for her. Hard to quantify that.</p>

<p>jnm123 - are you/D out of state? Obviously, my D is ( in NC). We just learned this weekend she was accepted to UNC-CH, very difficult for both IS and OOS. However, she still has UW-Madison as top pick at this time. As parents and from a financial perspective, it is hard not to try to push her to UNC-CH. We could pay cash for her entire undergrad and assist with graduate/medical school.</p>

<p>If OOS, did your D have an IS choice? Was it difficult to accept the reality of paying for OOS tuition when an IS choice was available? I did not expect the desicion to be so complicated. Also in the mix are FSU with merit $$$ and NYU (no $$$ but she loves NYC). Still to be determined are Wake, Stanford (reach) and Harvard (reach, but had 2 interviews, seemed to like her dedication/passion for dance and how she managed intensive dance program, EC’s and academics).</p>

<p>UW has plenty of scholarships but nearly are are need based. Or just for minority students. The Badger Herald had a story about that today.</p>

<p>[The</a> Badger Herald: Opinion: UW financial aid looks at wrong criteria](<a href=“http://badgerherald.com/oped/2010/03/22/uw_financial_aid_loo.php]The”>http://badgerherald.com/oped/2010/03/22/uw_financial_aid_loo.php)</p>

<p>PS. NCD–congrats to your daughter. I have to say I would have a hard time paying for UW OOS over UNC instate. Good luck.</p>

<p>Hi NCDanceMom—</p>

<p>Yep, D was accepted to University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), also a couple of small privates. Obviously, in-state for UIUC–which would’ve been 23K/year–and the privates gave enough merit $$$ to make those two less than that figure.</p>

<p>Then she chose UW-Madison. Rationalizing it in my own mind, paying 50K+ more over 4 years, hasn’t been easy. But Wisconsin OOS is still quite a bit less than full-fare privates, or any of the Ivies. I’ll tell you something, tho–the way she lights up whenever we visit, showing us around to the ethnic restaurants, the Lakeshore path, attending a Badger hockey game, makes it somewhat easier. </p>

<p>Academically, she’s been challenged like never before–don’t know how it would’ve been in that respect at other institutions, but this experience has made her grow up quickly.</p>

<p>Barrons - it is quite the dilemma. She really wants to double major in Chemistry and Dance and while she has not yet visited the UW campus she is very excited about what she has seen on-line. UNC-CH currently does not offer Dance major and the does not offer much dance classes.</p>

<p>We want her to find a good fit. I still think UW would be less than Wake Forest which is also a top choice. While she has not received an acceptance, several of her teachers feel she has a good chance of being accepted.</p>

<p>Thanks for the added info–I remember this situation now. I’m a little surprised UNC does not offer a Dance major. They must have given that to another campus.</p>

<p>Chemistry at UW is great- it was in my day and news from my annual Badger Chemist informs me of reasons it is still great. Add Dance and the campus… A great choice. </p>

<p>The Badger Herald article was sour grapes. Underrepresented minorities have obstacles the author doesn’t comprehend. She should be upset with her parents instead for not earning enough to afford the school of her dreams. Or herself for not working harder to stand out enough to garner money.</p>

<p>Good luck with the decisions. The Chemistry Honors sequence- 115-116 is still offered and would be an excellent start in a good dept. Chances to later do some work in the grad labs of a top 10 or so dept. Worth it for future grad plans.</p>

<p>As one of those minority students who got to take advantage of the money, I faced no particular hardships in my youth. We were neither rich or poor, owned our modest home, had two working parents and went to a good high school where I was one of maybe half a dozen “minority” kids out of 1200. When my friends found out they were astounded. They called it being on the gravy train and they were right. I think many middle class minority students fall in the same group today. Given its limited resources I think UW has gone too far to helping one group at the expense of others. I know there are other reasons such as the UW being under pressure to have more minority students. But they are spending A Lot of $$$ for a limited number of students.</p>

<p>The Hispanic and Hmong students whose parents have come to Wisconsin in recent decades have filled ESL classes and certainly are not as fortunate as barrons. Their parents work at the lowest paid jobs and culturally do not have the skills to best prepare their children who definitely have the intelligence to do UW work but lack skills most xth generation white Americans have the opportunity to give.</p>

<p>I too read the opinion piece and felt the writer was free with “facts” about other groups, motiviations and situations. It’s important to remember white women of any income - like the writer - have overwhelmingly been the largest recipients of affirmative action programs. And the S. Court has indicated there is a value in diversity of race and ethnicity in and of itself (I believe that’s the U Mich case).</p>

<p>I attended the UW essentially for free as a out of state white male, graduating with about 3k of loans. All aid from the Feds, the State, Univ. Grants, work study; they even granted me in state tuition! because of my family situation no one could step up and help. For this I will be forever greatful to the UW!</p>

<p>How about athletes? Do out of state students meet the same admission standards as in state? </p>

<p>The UW has a problem - many minority students take a single step on campus and get turned off. If the UW is to compete going forward it must be more diverse and I think the Admin knows this. </p>

<p>But all that aside when I read an opinion piece like that in the BH, I always think it’s important to get the facts. How much is spent at UW in aid? For who? In state/out of state. And does this fit with the mission/goals we have established. Otherwise I think the discussion degenerates.</p>

<p>I believe the spending for UW Madison minority student programs is in the $20,000,000/yr range. Very hard to follow in the budget as many depts have a line item for minority programs. If you go to the Redbook and search under minority you get a long list.</p>

<p>PS: Wis75–neither of my parents was a native English speaker. Both worked but never made more than about $3/hr. I’m still waiting for those other advantages. But I’m not complaining. It was fine.</p>

<p>^Thanks I’ll check out the Redbook. With $ spread around campus in dif. dept’s maybe there is a more efficient way to make it work with better targeting and focus.</p>

<p>S is URM and OOS but will not qualify for FA at any school. Some schools still throw money at him to try to increase their diversity stats but most, like Wisconsin, want to see either financial need or something very special apart from checking an ethnicity box. I think Wisconsin is very wise to prioritize aid for instate students particularly those overcoming educational or societal barriers (hmong, native and african americans, new hispanic immigrants). My S is double legacy and I love UW, but as a teaching assistant I could see the huge, huge disparity of preparation for the oos urban kids compared to Wisconsin rural white kids, urban black and immigrant kids, etc from Wisconsin secondary schools. If these kids overcome those barriers and show they are prepared to tackle UW academics–they should be encouraged with financial and educational support by the university if UW wants to really help its citizens…all of them. That being said, S will apply for the few merit scholarships and if he wins one it will be because of his skills/aptitudes/essays/etc not because of his ethnicity. If he doesn’t his parents will happily foot the bill because UW education provided us with the means to do so (both of us had fellowships and teaching assitantships in grad school). If he chooses not to attend we will still donate generously to UW-Madison for what the school did for us and will do for other needy kids.</p>

<p>That’s what I was getting at Stooge. $20 M is a lot of money for aid at UW for any group. Having it controlled by multiple schools and depts seems very inefficient. To spend so much on relatively few in order to make microscopic gains in minority students when UWM attracts 1000’s without such effort begs the question–is this the best way to meet the goal for the state. Also–a fair number of these minority students come from OOS. According to UW reports only about 800 instate minority HS students per year “qualify” for UW_madison using a very low hurdle for qualify, </p>

<p>[UW-Madison</a> Academic Planning & Analysis](<a href=“http://www.apa.wisc.edu/diversity.html]UW-Madison”>http://www.apa.wisc.edu/diversity.html)</p>