OOS transfer

Hello CC! I apologize for the somewhat rant**

I am a current Los Angeles CC student who had returned to school after a considerable break and string of personal life events (24 years old). I have done well this past year and a half, bringing an any ABYSMAL gpa up to about a 3.3.

My first choices, naturally were in state UC’s. Though my gpa is low by UC standards, I felt my story/personal statement and great upward grade trend would help my acceptance into one of their institutions.

However, through a dumb error on my part and lack of foresight regarding units, I would have 58 UC transferable units (two short of the minimum required to apply) by the end of this upcoming spring semester.

This has devastated me as I can’t stomach the thought of continuing as a CC student at this point of my life. But, I am as motivated and ambitious as ever. SO, it has led me to look to other OOS institutions. One being, UA.

Recently returned from a trip visiting my gf’s family in Mobile, AL during Christmas and loved it. It was great being by the bay everyday and everyone was very friendly. During this trip UA was recommended to me, but I didn’t have time to drive up to Tuscaloosa to see the campus for myself.

SO (Finally) My questions are:

1. How would transitioning from Los Angeles be for my Gf and I? I’ve heard Tuscaloosa has the small college town vibe(whatever that means)?
    2.Would it harder given my age and background (Latino) to find a niche? Diversity stats on UA’s website had left my slightly skeptical before the trip, though now that Ive met lovely citizens of AL I worry about my age primarily with other undergrad students. I’ve never been into the party or frat scene. I simply want to do well, make some friends, attend some crimson tide games and possibly pursue some club/leadership positions while enjoying my stay.

*Note tuition wouldn’t be an issue. Bama is my second choice if my reach USC declines me/my tuition is calculated near USC full price.

Thanks again and God Bless.

What is your major? Likely you will find your niche in your major. you’ll be in upper division courses, and likely will find that many students will be in several of your classes.

Because of your age, you likely wouldn’t be into the frat scene anyway, no matter where the campus is.

Thank you for the reply. My major at Bama if granted admission would be Political Science.

ok…so you’ll be an upper division Poly Sci student. Are you pre-law?

Yes Ma’am. I’ve scavenged the threads and have noticed you have been a wealth of knowledge and advise on other CC Alabama threads and I have learned a lot about UA. You and the other helpful posters have my thanks! But I had a few specific questions, would you mind if I sent a PM?

No problem! :slight_smile: