Optics of honors vs dual enrollment foreign language

Question on behalf of my high school freshman kid. She is in her second year of Spanish right now and I anticipate an A. She’s in “regular” Spanish, but the rest of her classes are all Honors or AP, which I believe will continue through high school.

Spanish just isn’t her thing, but she’s determined to take a third year solely because she knows that colleges either expect or prefer at least three years. Question is - should she take Spanish 3 Honors or Dual Enrollment Spanish 101/102. I have heard that the latter is probably easier and likely to be review of the first two years of Spanish. It seems to me that it sounds just as good and still shows follow-through with a language. Any guidance against the Dual Enrollment? I doubt that she will especially need the college credit from dual, so that’s not a huge consideration.

1 Like

While it varies by school, in general, Spanish 101 will be a rehash of high school Spanish 1&2. Spanish 102 will be likely be HS Spanish 3 compacted into one semester. I’m not sure she’s going to like that.

1 Like

And if she takes Spanish 101 after taking Spanish 1&2 it could potentially be perceived by colleges as grade grubbing…If she were to go straight into 102, that might be OK, but I wouldn’t at all assume that it would be easier than taking high school Spanish 3 - in fact, it might move a good deal faster.

101 is likely okay as a way to “review” Spanish 1&2 and get used to college learning approaches (more independent work, typically also greater focus, even early on, on culture, history, geography, etc.), before taking 102 which will be Spanish 3 over 1 semester. 102 is indeed going to be harder/faster-paced than HS Spanish 3.

1 Like

Ah, interesting. I had not realized that about 102. Her school only offers the Spanish dual as 101/102 and then a second year of dual 201/202 so you cannot split them.

It sounds like the overall difficulty level then will wind up being the same? Just a difference of whether or not you want a semester of review prior to launching into the [possibly quicker paced] third level?

it’ll be one semester of review then a more intense, compact course (1 year covered over 4 months) v. a full year of HS Spanish 3 with no prior review.

“Regular” Spanish 3 (continuing on the same path) should be seriously considered as well.

I would have your child discuss with the teacher and guidance counselor to determine the best placement at the appropriate time. IMO being in a class at the right level and speed should be the most important factor.

1 Like

I should have said above; at her school they do not offer “regular” Spanish 3. It’s Honors or nothing. I would have been fine with this for her, given that she takes everything else Honors/AP - nothing wrong with admitting that something just isn’t your jam.

I might decide based on whether her regular Spanish is good prep for Spanish 3 honors. If the answer is no, the DE route, even with review and faster paced second semester, may be better.

But she doesn’t need to decide now, does she? She should ask her teacher as it comes time for course selection.

As for optics, I would think staying in the progression at her home school would be preferred if it makes sense. Overall, AOs expect you to “do high school”. DE is generally considered a good alternative when your high school does not have an alternative.

And good for her for hanging in there with it!!

1 Like

Sometimes the teacher or professor can make a big difference regarding whether or not a student enjoys a particular class.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s a great point! Perhaps next year will turn Spanish around for her. I know her Spanish 1 teacher was not enjoyable and this year seems boring + a non-interesting/involved teacher.

1 Like

Her school is already registering for next year, but she can still change her chosen classes through the end of the calendar year.

1 Like

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned here yet - dual enrollment goes on her permanent college record regardless of the fact she is a freshman in high school, unlike honors/AP that disappears as soon as she hits college. Unless you’re certain she can get a decent grade, be careful because the affect of a poor DE grade on her college GPA could damage her funding options and her ability to matriculate to grad school.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.