Orchestra for non-music major - any chances?

<p>does anyone have any experience w/ playing in music program at UA (esp orchestra) when you are a non-music major? if so, what is audition process like…how do you fit it into other class schedules and obligations…and any other info you have would be appreciated!</p>

<p>Reposting…
Surely there is someone out there w/ experience in music department (orchestra) as a non-major?<br>
Thanks for responding with ANY information you might have!</p>

<p>My daughter is a music major – a singer. She says that there are non-music majors in the ensembles in the music school though it is obviously more challenging for a non-music major to make certain ensembles that are geared toward the students who are planning to pursue a professional career. (For instance the University Singers is mostly music majors and grad students, while the University Chorus has more non-majors.)</p>

<p>Auditions for all ensembles are held at the beginning of the fall semester. Information regarding audition time/date is posted on the bulletin boards in the music building and can also be obtained from the department office.</p>

<p>The orchestra rehearses Monday and Wednesday from 2:00 - 3:45 and is treated as a one hour class. </p>

<p>My daughter has had quite a few performance obligations, but they have mostly been on weekends and in the evenings. When they are scheduled during class time, she is given an excuse for her other classes.</p>

<p>Auditions for the Huxford Orchestra and the Wind Ensemble are held only in the fall. If o e of the fall members has to drop out due to class scheduling conflicts, they will hold an audition for that position. But otherwise, if you don’t audition in the fall, you won’t get in that year.</p>

<p>Auditions for the Concert and Symphonic Bands are held for both fall and spring semesters. You can lose your place in Symphonic and be moved down to Concert Band. If your schedule didn’t allow you to audition and be part of a fall group, you can audition for spring and be placed in either band.</p>

<p>D is a freshman (bio major, music minor) who will be second chair flute in Symphonic Band this spring. She wasn’t able to be in a concert band this past semester because rehearsals conflicted with Honors Bio class. She just told me that non-music majors can make it into the orchestra. They just want the best players. But all the music majors are so very, very good that very few non-music majors are competitive enough to make it into the orchestra.</p>

<p>D was part of the top level of our local youth orchestra all four of her high school years, being principal flute her senior year. Her goal is to be part of the symphony as quickly as she can be.</p>

<p>Ok…so there is ART (Amateur Radical Theater) for non-major theater folk…there is the UA Campus Band for non-major band folk…is there ANYthing for non-major orchestra folks? Are there any clubs, ensembles, groups, odds and sods…for non-major classical string folk?!</p>

<p>Surely there are/will be at least some string players out there who want to continue playing great classical music. My S is involved in 6 different musical groups at school (4 of these are extra-curricular)…it would be a shame not to be able to continue his passion for music, along w/ his engineering studies. Engineering/Math goes hand-in-hand w/ music.</p>

<p>At music dept’s suggestion, called director of orchestral studies but he did not respond back …oh, it’s been quite a few weeks now…Thought that would be the right person, but maybe he did not respond because he is a brass player himself? Should I try again? Don’t want to appear to ‘stalk’…</p>

<p>We need to find a key, influential strings player/professor who would themselves like to see a non-major orchestra get put together, if you have any other suggestions. Who should my S contact to see if there is any interest in starting this?</p>

<p>*is there ANYthing for non-major orchestra folks? Are there any clubs, ensembles, groups, odds and sods…for non-major classical string folk?!</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Yes…non-majors can participate in ensembles, etc. It looks like they do have to enroll in a performance class…see below #####</p>

<p>One of my son’s friends was in the orchestra as a bio major…playing the bassoon. </p>

<p>She also got some paid gigs to sub for the B’ham orchestra.</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama School of Music Instrumental](<a href=“http://music.ua.edu/ensembles/instrumental/]University”>http://music.ua.edu/ensembles/instrumental/)</p>

<p>Audition info:
[University</a> of Alabama School of Music Ensemble Auditions](<a href=“http://music.ua.edu/ensembles/instrumental/ensemble-auditions/]University”>http://music.ua.edu/ensembles/instrumental/ensemble-auditions/)</p>

<h4>[University</a> of Alabama School of Music Non-Majors](<a href=“http://music.ua.edu/undergraduates/non-majors/]University”>http://music.ua.edu/undergraduates/non-majors/)</h4>

<p>Apart from music appreciation and private applied study, it is the School’s performing ensembles that attract **non-music majors **most frequently. Non-music majors should note that:</p>

<p>◦Music ensembles are regular classes and carry one credit hour.
◦Every ensemble requires an audition that occurs at the start of the semester.
◦A student may register for an ensemble without auditioning, but will be required to drop the class if the audition is unsuccessful.
◦Non-music majors must regiester for ensembles at the 100 level.
◦Music ensembles do not meet in summer.</p>

<p>More info for non-majors…</p>

<p>Non-Majors Opportunities for Non-Music Majors</p>

<p>Most of the classes offered in the School of Music are open to students majoring in subjects other than music, provided that prerequisites are met. For information about specific courses, see the music course descriptions in the UA Undergraduate Catalog.</p>

<p>The School of Music offers a course in music appreciation, MUS 121 Introduction to Listening, that is designed especially for non-music majors. Several sections of this course are offered each semester. The course is offered also in summer and via correspondence study in the College of Continuing Studies.</p>

<p>A non-music major may register for private applied study for one credit hour if: (1) the student demonstrates a level of ability and experience appropriate to college music study; and (2) the applied music instructor has room in his or her load to teach a non-music major. There are special course numbers for non-music major applied study, as follows:</p>

<p>MUA 130 Harp
MUA 131 Piano
MUA 132 Organ
MUA 133 Harpsichord
MUA 134 Voice
MUA 135 Violin
MUA 136 Viola
MUA 137 Cello
MUA 138 String Bass
MUA 139 Flute MUA 140 Oboe
MUA 141 Bassoon
MUA 142 Clarinet
MUA 143 Saxophone
MUA 144 Trumpet
MUA 145 Horn
MUA 146 Trombone
MUA 147 Euphonium
MUA 148 Tuba
MUA 149 Percussion </p>

<p>A course fee is associated with private applied study; see the printed University of Alabama Schedule of Classes for details. Beginning students and students who do not wish to enroll for credit may enroll the private applied study through our Community Music School.</p>

<p>Okay, I can only add info from my son’s experience. He stays involved with music by taking music courses.
He does play several instruments but would not have had time to practice/perform with his class load, he has however performed in several vocal choruses. You do have to make time for class, additional practice and also for performance practices and performances as well.
Music classes can be demanding and time consuming. Ask anyone who has taken music theory.
There are other groups that meet (no class required) to perform and there are “open mic”
nights that are hosted by the honors college. Here is the link for information on chorus and non-curricular vocal groups: [University</a> of Alabama School of Music Vocal](<a href=“http://music.ua.edu/ensembles/vocal/]University”>http://music.ua.edu/ensembles/vocal/)</p>

<p>Here is a link for instrumental ensembles: [University</a> of Alabama School of Music Instrumental](<a href=“http://music.ua.edu/ensembles/instrumental/]University”>http://music.ua.edu/ensembles/instrumental/)</p>

<p>Hope this helps :)</p>

<p>Looks like m2ck and I cross posted :)</p>

<p>Aeromom – you may not have gotten a response from the director of the orchestra yet because the University is not in session and hasn’t been since December 16th. School resumes Wednesday, so you may want to try again if you don’t get a response after school resumes.</p>

<p>Aeromom…if your son needs a percussionist for his orchestra I know one who would be happy to participate! :)</p>

<p>In all seriousness, I do hope he is able to find a way to participate in orchestra - maybe even a community orchestra?</p>

<p>Thanks, all.
Ok, I should mention that my S plays the string bass- this is a ‘fringe’ instrument, like a goalie in soccer or a place-kicker in football. It is a useful position, but not mainstream. Soooo, to ask him to sign up for ‘listening’ or ‘music appreciation’ isn’t going to cut it when he wants to play, and, needs a ‘team’ to play on, in order to sound good himself. And, signing up for a private class in the string bass is just a private lesson, basically. It’s like practicing your place-kicks…but there’s never any games. (Trying to put it in football lingo, here…)</p>

<p>(I do believe I contacted UA Music before the break/finals, as a live person initially answered my call. Do I continue to pursue…don’t want to appear annoying!)</p>

<p>One link that you provided me (the one about different ensembles) does NOT have a hyperlink for the Orchestra - try it if you don’t believe me! Every single ensemble listed has a hyperlink EXCEPT the orchestra.</p>

<p>If you have any suggestions on a specific PERSON to contact - someone willing to champion this and get a non-major orchestra started, please send us your suggestions. Thanks, everyone!</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama School of Music Ensembles](<a href=“http://music.ua.edu/ensembles/]University”>Ensembles Update + Protocols – School of Music)
Here’s the specific link I’ve been using/referring to…there is no hyperlink for orchestra, but is for every other ensemble.</p>

<p>Aeromom, have you tried contacting Michael Johnson, the string bass professor? His email address is <a href=“mailto:mrjohnso@bama.ua.edu”>mrjohnso@bama.ua.edu</a>. </p>

<p>He would probably have a good idea what opportunities there might be for your son as a non-music major. Does your son have time to minor in music? </p>

<p>Getting a non-major orchestra started would be a major undertaking. I’m not sure any of the music school professors would have time to take something like that on. They’re usually incredibly busy with their individual instrument studios.</p>

<p>What about having your son participate in a chamber music ensemble group? Not the same as a full orchestra, I know, but there are at least pieces written for a string bass and other string instruments.</p>

<p>Aeromom…sent you an email with this link. Not sure if you’ve seen it:
[University</a> of Alabama School of Music Blog Archive The Huxford Symphony Orchestra Seeks String Musicians](<a href=“http://music.ua.edu/the-huxford-symphony-orchestra-seeks-string-musicians/]University”>http://music.ua.edu/the-huxford-symphony-orchestra-seeks-string-musicians/)</p>

<p>Yes, part of my posting here is to try and find kids who would be willing to get together and play in ensembles. We’re using CC as a kind of ‘want-ad’ for classical string musicians. We can start small, if that’s what it takes! With all of the talent that UA attracts, there has just GOT to be some other students in a similar boat to my S.</p>

<p>I will contact Mr. Johnson. He was absent when we had a prearranged, scheduled visit to the dept. (We were naively hoping for an informal ‘audition’ that day, because, quite frankly, the bass is not something we can cart around on a plane. And driving requires the back seats to be folded down and the middle seat taken out entirely…Don’t get me started…) We spoke instead to the viola instructor who was helpful, but our only option appeared to be auditions in Fall.</p>

<p>Again, there just HAVE to be some families/students out there w/ similar situation to ours. If any of your students wants to get in touch to play classical string music, let us know. Thanks for helping.</p>

<p>Believe me: we know about carting instruments: cello went to Bama in a separate car ride with son’s bike, stayed in his room, then stored at a friend’s house for the summer (didn’t want to trust climate controlled storage) then back again for the school year! Has he played…heck, no he doesn’t have time…well, at least he didn’t take his piano (lol) :)</p>

<p>I’m going to resurrect this thread, since I have much to update those new families on CC who are looking at UA and might be interested in joining the UA music program as a non-major. I’m not talking about the MDB - that info is well documented elsewhere - rather, this info is geared towards the classical musician, especially you string players.</p>

<p>If you are reading this as a potential applicant to UA, I want to clear up any bad impressions that someone might have by reading what I wrote 6-7 months ago. I cringe at some of the things I was worried about…but parents of serious musical students will perhaps appreciate my angst. </p>

<p>My first worry was not knowing if my son even had a chance to continue playing classical music at UA. As you know, the auditions for the orchestra and wind ensemble are not until the 1st week of classes, so you don’t know upon applying to UA whether you will necessarily be able to continue with music as a non-major. This was quite a deal breaker for my son, so instead, starting in January, he has been in contact with the orchestra director and sent off not 1 but 3 sample audition CDs, and included a full musicology/resume of everything he had played to date, in order to get some indication of whether he had a chance. I’m happy to report that he finally received positive news just today and he will indeed be part of the Huxford Symphony this fall. The lesson here: be persistent; if you really want to play classical music in college (and are good enough to continue at the university level), then don’t hesitate to toot your own horn (couldn’t resist that pun) and show initiative.</p>

<p>Second worry: my son is entering the engineering program this fall, so, yikes. Many parents and students have mentioned the rigors of engineering do not allow for a 4-hour/week music class commitment, and that music is difficult to fit into the eng’g schedule. Codswallop. If you really want to play in college, you have to be prepared to make some compromises, sure, but nothing is impossible. Instead of fitting music into his engineering schedule, my son just built his eng’g schedule around his music class. At BB registration, he plugged in the music class first, and had to forgo several (better) class times for other classes in order to do so. He has class 4x a week at 8 am…ugh…but he gets to end his afternoons by playing great music in the symphony. Lesson learned: don’t let class scheduling psych you out before you’ve even tried to fit music into your life.</p>

<p>Another thing I’ve learned is that the School of Music (where the orchestra resides) is quite separate from University Bands (where MDB resides). Uni Bands gets its funding from the football program…the School of Music is part of the formal university. Guess which one is the poor step-sister? Don’t let my sarcasm fool you: the UA School of Music is top notch and if you have been a serious classical musician throughout high school, there is no reason why you should stop now. </p>

<p>In sum, please let this be a more positive thread aimed at recruiting great musicians to UA (similar to how other departments have done such a great job recruiting great students to UA), than the negative inquiry into what I thought was impossible 7 months ago… </p>

<p>I know there will be many many great musicians out there who could bring their talents to UA. I encourage you to explore the orchestra program in addition to whatever other field you are studying.</p>

1 Like

<p>^^^Well Done on your son’s part. Congratulations on his placement in the symphony orchestra!</p>

<p>My son has continued with his vocal studies during his time at Bama, and has thoroughly enjoyed both class time and the performances. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have time for his other instruments due to other commitments. But keeping music in his schedule is important to him as well. It can be done.
I recall that (years ago), my son had the opportunity to play in a local Senior Orchestra where one of the “senior” cellists could barely hobble onto the stage but her fingers could still dance with the bow and create amazing music. I remember how impressed we all were with the orchestra members and their continual love of music. It is a lifelong passion.</p>

<p>Things have come full circle. </p>

<p>TONIGHT is the 1st 2012-13 Huxford symphony orchestra concert, 7.30 pm CT. This is being streamed live through Ustream - here is the link (if this site will allow me to do so): Oops, evidently it does not work - let’s try this: <a href=“http://www”>www</a>. ustream. tv/channel/ uofa-som (do not put any spaces in, obviously).</p>

<p>They are performing Helios Overture, a Horn Concerto, and Brahms’ Symphony No 2, D major, Op 73. It’s a long one; brace yourself.</p>

<p>My son is a non-music-major and he’s in the Huxford; he is doing aero-engineering.<br>
Those of you who have had great musical training coming into UA, please consider continuing with your playing of classical music.<br>
It CAN be done!<br>
You CAN fit it in!</p>