The Huxford Orchestra

<p>Any Huxford members or parents of members out there? </p>

<p>We hear the orchestra’s pretty good.</p>

<p>My son would be an engineering major and (hopefully) playing in the orchestra as a non-major (string player).</p>

<p>How are non-majors treated? Are there plenty of opportunities for them, say, in string ensembles, chair positions, private lessons, etc?</p>

<p>Is it difficult to schedule your major and core classes around rehearsal and performance times?</p>

<p>Have any of you been able to stick it out the whole 4 years and still complete the courses required for your non-music major?</p>

<p>We’d really be interested in hearing anything you have to say about your experience (your son’s/daughter’s experience) in the Bama Orchestra.</p>

<p>We’re particularly interested in hearing from engineering majors who are NOT seeking a music major or music minor. But we’d be interested in hearing from anybody who knows anything about the Huxford Orchestra!</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>How are non-majors treated? Are there plenty of opportunities for them, say, in string ensembles, chair positions, private lessons, etc?</p>

<p>My son has a very close friend who plays the bassoon. She is not a music major or minor (she’s a pre-med Bio & Econ double major), but has lessons, has practices, has performances, etc.</p>

<p>It seems like her practices/performances have been mostly in late afternoon/evenings/weekends. As for working around her schedule, all students (even majors and minors) have to work around their schedules so I imagine Bama has a system for that.</p>

<p>^^ (Hi mom2collegekids!) But if it’s like most music schools, majors are also “filling a square” for their degree and are required to be in one ensemble or another. So, built-in ensemble schedules and course offerings already fit well with the majority of the music major’s other required classes. They don’t really have to work around much – for ensembles and classes within their majors, that is.</p>

<p>I have a music major son. Not at Bama. He can’t take foreign languages at his school, so far, because the languages are offered semester after semester at the exact same times as his mandatory ensemble. Likewise I’m sure, foreign language students couldn’t be in his ensemble, unless they weren’t doing a foreign language that semester.</p>

<p>Engineering majors are supposed to have a notoriously hard time fitting in non-engineering/non-core courses at a lot of schools we’ve looked at because of the sequential tracks they’re on for their degrees. Can’t get off the track, and the courses on the track are only offered at certain times. But maybe Bama’s different because of its size? More course offerings at more times, perhaps? Or maybe the ensemble schedules don’t conflict with the degree courses in the first place? That’s what we’re wondering.</p>

<p>It is impressive that your son’s friend is able to squeeze in her pre-med Bio and music ensemble, though. We were told at other schools (when the music major son was looking) that the sciences in general are harder majors to work into music schedules, because of conflicting lab times and because of required “tracks.” School after school told us the same – mostly smaller LAC’s though.</p>

<p>Engineering majors are supposed to have a notoriously hard time fitting in non-engineering/non-core courses at a lot of schools we’ve looked at because of the sequential tracks they’re on for their degrees. Can’t get off the track, and the courses on the track are only offered at certain times. But maybe Bama’s different because of its size? More course offerings at more times, perhaps?</p>

<p>Yes, I do think that’s an advantage of larger schools…more course sections offered at various times. If you were to look at at large school like Bama’s course offerings, sometimes you’ll see 10 - 120 offerings of the same class. I think there are over 120 sections this fall of Freshman Comp! </p>

<p>I know some like to sing the praises of small, intimate schools, but that often means having very limited choices for course time selections (and prof selection!). My kids went to a small high school and such limitations often meant a desired AP course was offered at one time only and that meant not taking a 4th year of a foreign language which was also offered at the same time. </p>

<p>I’m not dissing small colleges or high schools (I’m glad that my kids went to a small high school), they have their advantages, too, but I like the flexiblity and choice that larger colleges can offer.</p>

<p>My younger son is a Chem Eng’g major and so far he hasn’t had any trouble fitting in his courses.</p>

<p>Of course, many Eng’g majors come in with a good number of AP credits that satisfy Core Req’ts. </p>

<p>Also, Bama has lighter Core Req’ts for Eng’g majors as well. If I remember correctly, Eng’g majors don’t have to take a Fine Arts course and have one less humanities course and one less history or social science to take. </p>

<p>Of course, eng’g majors typically have to take more math and science courses and have to complete more credits overall for graduation.</p>

<p>My son’s roommate just made the orchestra, but he is a musical performance major. He is very excited that they will be playing with the band Kansas (Remember them, parents?). I would definitely look into doing both, engineering and orchestra. After all, lots of members of college bands, which has got to be a huge time commitment, have majors other than music. It can be done! If your child is a musician, he/she already has an incredible work ethic, and I have no doubt they can do whatever they set out to do. Think positive and good luck!</p>

<p>i don’t know about other years, but this year eng majors do have to take the fine arts class.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>There isn’t a Core Req’t for a Fine Arts class for Eng’g students. They may choose to take a FA class for Core Req’t, or their specialty may require one, but there’s no Core Req’t for such like there is for College of Arts and Sciences and others. </p>

<p>9 semester hours of humanities (HU), literature (L) and fine arts (FA) area courses. A 6-hour discipline depth study is required and may be taken in either HU, L, and FA or HI and SB. **There are no mandatory general education requirements for literature or fine arts, **except as required for a specific engineering program.</p>

<p>oh, whoops.</p>

<p>dont mess with Mom It’s like trying to proove my wife is wrong . It just doesn’t happen. Mom you rule.</p>

<p>Oh, I sure wish I could hear from some Huxford Orchestra people. Anybody else out there? I gotta bump my poor little thread.</p>

<p>Thanks to the rest of you for trying to provide some assistance.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, most college orchestras work a little differently than a lot of college/football marching bands. College marching bands tend to practice in the late afternoons, early evenings, and/or weekends, specifically so that non-majors can play. Their rehearsal times don’t conflict with many classes. Intentionally. You are right though, Montegut. Lots of non-majors play in those bands. And they’re a huge time commitment, like you said. But they don’t typically present a direct conflict with classes.</p>

<p>College orchestras present a different problem, in a lot of cases. They’re often comprised of mostly majors, and they’re offered as a regular class period, during the day. We saw that the Huxford Orchestra, for instance, rehearses on Mondays and Wednesdays, from 2-3:45. At a lot of schools my kids have looked at, orchestra rehearsal times conflict with other non-music-major required courses, especially labs. They don’t conflict with music major courses, because music majors are required to be in them. That’s why enrolling in a college orchestra can be problematic for non-majors. Also, more than in bands, non-majors often play second fiddle (pun intended) to majors, and for some good reasons. The majors need the exposure and experience as first chair, etc, for employment and grad school. But this does vary by school. Some schools are more even-handed with majors and non-majors, placing them based solely on their auditions. That’s one of the things we’re trying to find out about Bama.</p>

<p>While on campus, we did hear of two students who were non-major string players. One was an engineering student. We were told that he felt he had to leave the orchestra after his freshman year because of all his conflicts “with other things.” But, we were told, he was very busy in other organizations, and we don’t know if that involvement caused him to quit orchestra or if class conflicts caused him to quit. The other student we heard about was not an engineering major (maybe econ or poli sci?), and he left the orchestra because certain courses that he was interested conflicted with orchestra rehearsals.</p>

<p>Since playing in the orchestra is huge on my son’s list for “what I want in a college,” we were hoping to hear some other success stories of non-majors who managed to play all four years – or the majority of semesters.</p>

<p>I posted here on the Bama forum first, since Bama people would know best about the Bama orchestra. But after realizing that music majors would have a better understanding of our concerns, and that more music major CCer’s could be found on the Music Major forum, I posted the same thread there. But no luck! Not a single response. (I think that’s because most of the really serious CC music majors are looking at other more music-y schools, like Oberlin, Rice, Eastman, Julliard, Curtis, etc. No offense to anybody.)</p>

<p>Anyway … does anybody else have any first-hand or second-hand knowledge of the Huxford Orchestra? We’re grateful for the responses to date! But we’d love to hear more.</p>

<p>Thanks so much!</p>

<p>Hi, Simple Life:</p>

<p>Love to do research and found a page that might help you. My first time doing links, but this may work.</p>

<p>Since the symphony is busy preparing for the Kansas performance right now, you may have trouble finding someone to talk to, but after that, I would call someone in the department with specific questions. I find the people at Bama to be very helpful. Good luck!</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama School of Music Non-Majors](<a href=“http://music.ua.edu/undergraduates/non-majors/]University”>http://music.ua.edu/undergraduates/non-majors/)</p>

<p>Wow, Montegut. That was awfully kind of you. Thank you!!!</p>

<p>We’ll definitely check it out! </p>

<p>(Btw, my son and I did meet with music faculty while on campus. We asked all of these same questions. The faculty we met were very helpful and nice. My son liked them a lot! But, like a college brochure, we think that college faculty, even when trying to be non-partisan, can’t help but “sell” their programs. And their perspectives may or may not match the students’. So we’re also trying to gather a little student-side-of-the-story, anecdotal evidence. I can tell you – the music faculty we met were extraordinary, in terms of personality and their apparent love of teaching and Bama. That was really nice to see!)</p>

<p>My pleasure. Good luck!</p>

<p>I’m going to tack onto this existing, very old thread which I just discovered, rather than start a new one.</p>

<p>My S is a bassist in the Huxford and an aero-eng’g major.</p>

<p>If anyone is interested, their next concert will be streaming live on UStream @ 7.30 pm, Nov 7th 2012 (that’s a Wed, and UA is on Central time). The link will ‘probably’ be: [UofA-SOM</a> on USTREAM: We live stream events from the University of Alabama School of Music. Classical](<a href=“http://www.ustream.tv/channel/uofa-som]UofA-SOM”>http://www.ustream.tv/channel/uofa-som) (if that doesn’t come thru in here, try searching ustream for uofa-som (stands for university of alabama school of music). It’s a live feed, so if you search now you’ll get nothing. It goes live about 5-10 min before the performance.</p>

<p>They are playing the following ambitious, full-length pieces. </p>

<p>Sergei Prokofiev: Classical Symphony, (Symphony No. 1) in D major, Op. 25, Conducted by: Kenneth Ozzello;
Alexander Glazunov: Concerto for Alto Saxophone and String Orchestra, Featuring: Jonathan Noffsinger, Saxophone
Intermission
Jean Sibelius: Symphony No. 2 in D Major, Conducted by: Demondrae Thurman</p>

<p>PM me if you are new to CC and interested in knowing more about how a non-major can continue their classical music at UA. And, while I’m biased, I can report that the Huxford is more than “pretty good”, as the original poster asked about! :)</p>

<p>^^^Thank you so much for this! I will write myself a note to watch this.</p>

<p>Son’s freshman year roommate is giving his junior recital this year, and the boys are all excited to attend.</p>

<p>Bumping to remind about concert tonight. See link above.</p>

<p>There is also a concert (FREE!) tonight, Nov 9th, at 7.30, called “Fall Spectrum” at the Moody Auditorium. I believe it features many different groups from within UA’s School of Music. Symphony Orchestra performs in “Act II” - not sure of the other groups’ schedules, tho. It will be probably streamed on UStream again? Let me know if any of your students are in this concert and have further info about it. Thank you.</p>

<p>Bumping again and unashamed plug for the UA’s Huxford Orchestra.<br>
Their next concert is Thurs Feb 7, at 7.30 pm.
Here is link to School of Music site: [Huxford</a> Symphony Orchestra with Concerto/Aria Competition Winners | Events Calendar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://events.ua.edu/events/index.php?com=detail&eID=7962]Huxford”>Events Calendar - The University of Alabama).
The concert will be streamed live on UStream here: [UofA-SOM</a> on USTREAM: We live stream events from the University of Alabama School of Music. Classical](<a href=“http://www.ustream.tv/channel/uofa-som]UofA-SOM”>http://www.ustream.tv/channel/uofa-som)</p>

<p>The live streams are really good, I watched several concerts last semester. It is a great way to catch a glimpse of your student if they are performing.</p>

<p>There is also the Honor Band Spectrum concert tonight at the Moody Music building. The concert is at 7:30 PM and is free to the public. The Million Dollar Band will also be performing.</p>