Orientation & Adjustment

<p>From 07DAD:</p>

<p>My S's Priddy trip (freshman orientation) was advanced backpacking with high-altitude brush clearing. </p>

<p>For my S, several things assisted in him experiencing little transition adjustment. First is the block system itself and the two block continuation class that freshmen take as the beginning first semester requirement. My S got his first choice for the beginning block(s) (which I understand they really try to make happen). The class had 13 people in it. </p>

<p>So, instead of any hassle related to scheduling and freshmen massive lecture courses (which occurs at many mid and large student body schools), he had his choice AND a small class. This really made getting to meet people in class easier and having 3+ hours a day in the classroom with them guaranteed that the students interacted.</p>

<p>The one course at a time allowed him to be able to concentrate on doing well from the beginning. A LOT of his HS friends were shell-shocked at the 5 courses and their stress at Thanksgiving break about returning for multiple papers and/or finals was palpable. I think that getting off to a good start academically (which I think the single course fosters) was invaluable. AND, the one exam at a time and no exams after any holiday reduces stress.</p>

<p>Also he has mentioned that the RA system really seems to be helpful and functioning in a way that helps get the freshmen involved with the greater campus. I heard from some of the HS friends that at their colleges the RA system is rather weak or "a joke." My S had his RA mentioned to him that there were going to be try-outs for several dance performance groups and personally encouraged him to "check it out." He was in 3 of the 11 acts (even though he had no prior dance experience). CC seems to use the RA system effectively to avoid the "first semester" all alone/no friends/no idea what is going on feeling.</p>

<p>As a general observation, CC seems to provide a good number of varied campus activities so that not having a car hasn't been a particular problem and there are free activities (and speakers etc) so there are things to do on a budget. Some HS friends say they have to make their own fun at their colleges since there isn't much offered or it is not free.</p>

<p>The system for students getting information on summer offerings, abroad programs and grant opportunites also seems to work which is a good thing if the student did not deal much with "the system" in HS. And, S went to the campus clinic, got what he needed and all without a hassle. That is not always the case.</p>

<p>I did not predict or have a lot of concern about my S having a lot of transition issues due to his personality and "I'll do it" attitude in HS. One couple I have gotten to know have a D at CC and she has also reported that she has felt that the experience as a freshman has been easy, including finding and working a campus job.</p>

<p>Small, well organized, friendly, accessable and supportive. I walked onto Emory in 1968 and there was not anything approaching that in place for freshmen. I don't think that it is a fluke at CC. I think it is part of the planned experience.</p>

<p>AND, extra bonus: it is so beautiful on campus when you can see the mountains and Pikes Peak at every turn. </p>

<p>OH-- and when the shootings at the religious campus in Colorado Springs happened, the parents/alumni network had an email out to all parents stating that all CC students were accounted for expressly including those who had an affiliation with the religious group. I didn't look into it further but that seems to indicate a system that is also there for a better experience at least for the parents who worry about things like this when they happen.</p>

<p>That is exactly the kind of orientation my S will want, and he has extensive wilderness backpacking experience. However, wouldn't hurt him to do some of the more people oriented service trips, either. The Priddy orientations all look terrific. </p>

<p>Everything you say sounds wonderful, thanks for your in-depth report. I don't have much concern about my S either, and with what you say, I now have even less. I thought myself pretty independent as a HS senior, but had major cultural shock when I entered Brandeis (also in 1968), and like you said, there was no real orientation nor support system. BTW, I am originally from Atlanta and spent a lot of time on the Emory campus at the library and frat parties when I was in HS.</p>

<p>I also remember what a drag it was always having exams hanging over my head at vacation time. This system is so much better. In fact, Canada's first LAC, Quest University, has adopted the Block Plan.</p>

<p>I also asked my S about his sleeping routine, especially since room mates don't always mesh on this issue. I hadn't really thought about the situation being different at CC, but it is.</p>

<p>He said there isn't much problem on sleep times during the week because EVERYONE has a 9 o'clock class start time! </p>

<p>I think that is something very positive. I recall there was a lot of dissatisfaction with dorm life that had to do with having a class schedule that started later than the first class period, since there were always people roaming the halls making noise before you had to get up. NO SUCH PROBLEM since everyone is on the same schedule.</p>

<p>My S also mentioned that his HS friends who attend our flagship state school and live in the highrise dorms are sex segregated by floor. He mentioned that he liked the mixed sex by floor. No particular follow up on why, but one parent at orientation mentioned that she thought that with mixed some of the guys seem to "keep it more under control" because they don't want the girls to see them as jerks. I asked her (the parent) if this was based on anything she had heard at CC and the answer was that she had an older S at another school and that was his experience. But it makes some sense.</p>

<p>Another transition issue may be the work load. S indicates that there is a lot of material to get through each day. His commment is that makes everyone study every day (or after class) when there is a class the next day. This regimine seems to hold down the mid-week partying which to me was one of the truly challenging parts of freshman year.</p>

<p>So, in general the dorm life seems to be less of a transition since the hours during the week are all the same, the work load demands daily studying (less mid week partying) and there may be a "calming effect" of mixed sex floors.</p>

<p>07DAD - As a freshman at CC I wholeheartedly agree with everything you have mentioned so far. My first semester has seriously been the best four months of my life, and I can't wait for what the next 3.5 years will bring. I can't wait to get back to CC for second semester and I truly hope that all parents reading this thread convince their kids to look into CC. It really is a wonderful place. </p>

<p>I have lived on the east coast my entire life (and I'm a serious homebody), so the distance was definitely a bit daunting to me. Luckily, the transition to CC was so smooth I never felt the slightest bit homesick throughout the semester. Between the Priddy trips (I went to a place called Forest Guardians in New Mexico and helped plant trees), the FYE (first two blocks of freshman year), and the enthusiastic student body, it was definitely hard to find the time to miss home! The dorm life here is fantastic, my hall is a very close knit group. We frequently have "hall activities", such as hiking in the mountains or playing laser tag. </p>

<p>Gosh, I really could go on forever about how great CC is but I'll stop there for now. If anyone has any more questions feel free to ask away! I'm sitting at home bored out of my mind and missing CC dearly, so I'd be more than willing to answer anyone's questions as best as I can from a student's perspective (though 07DAD has done a great job!). </p>

<p>Happy holidays everybody!</p>

<p>I'm fortunate that I was always in agreement with my son that CC was the best place for him, and he is so fortunate to be in ED and enjoying his holidays. Everything I'm hearing just sounds better and better.</p>

<p>S has no sisters and spent the last 5 years at an all boys school, so being on a mixed gender hall and having the opportunity to just hang with girls and make friends will be great for him. (07DAD, it's probably a mixed sex hall too, which will also make him happy.....jk)</p>

<p>I love the idea of hall activities, too. S is totally into hiking, sports, etc, so he would love any activity. PeaceOut (I love your name), are all the halls gender mixed and are these hall activities common?</p>

<p>My S can tend to slack, but I've heard that at CC there is just no room for it, you can get too behind in just a day. This is great because I know that S will rise to the demands and will get a better education for the rigor.</p>

<p>PeaceOut, it you have any other random thoughts, please share and I'll pass along to my S. I'm so excited for him.......and a bit envious, too!</p>

<p>PS Thanks for posting, PeaceOut! So great to hear from a happy freshman. Have wonderful holidays!</p>

<p>Most of the halls are coed unless you specify that you want a single sex hall, so in your son's case, he would just say on his housing sheet that he would prefer a coed hall and he will most likely get it. </p>

<p>As for the hall activities, I really think it depends on the RA. I know they are required to do a hall activity of some sort I think at least once a block, but I doubt this is the case with every RA. </p>

<p>There really isn't any room for procrastinating or slacking at CC or you'll dig yourself into a very deep hole! Granted, some classes are much more rigorous than others, but it is still never a good idea to skip class or get behind in any way. So far, I have really thrived academically at CC. I know not everyone adjusted to the block plan right away, it takes some getting used to, but it really is a great system. </p>

<p>Just out of curiosity, what is your son thinking of studying? If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!</p>

<p>My S is thinking of Environmental Science. I don't think that this is a firm plan at all, but ES has lots of great field trips and involves all the sciences, so it is a good place for him to start. He also plans to take the courses necessary for pre-med. We'll see........... I'm happy with anything he wants. </p>

<p>I'm hoping he will continue developing his talent in art. He has done 5 years of HS ceramics. CC doesn't have ceramics (with wheels), but they have sculpture and that could be fun for him.</p>

<p>He would like to be on the varsity soccer team, he will definitely be on the club rugby team, and he would like to learn beginners hockey.</p>

<p>What are your passions, PeaceOut?</p>

<p>The Environmental program is great. Two of my first 4 classes were with the head of the program and I am combining it with the education minor so I can be certified to teach HS at the end. The school was such an easy adjustment for me..couldn't have made a better choice. There is so much to do at the school and surrounding area that it is ridiculous. Just hope the next 3 and a half years don't fly by as fast as the first four blocks. Good luck to your son.</p>

<p>Flyboy,</p>

<p>I'm impressed that you want to teach HS...........schools really need innovative male teachers. Hope (for the school system's sake, anyway) that you keep this goal.</p>

<p>I haven't taken an environmental science class yet, but I've heard the program is great. The block plan allows for a lot of field trips, trips to the Baca campus, etc. I have been thinking about being a veterinarian, but that's pretty up in the air. I absolutely love science, so I definitely plan on being a science major of some sort. At the moment, I'm thinking biology. I take my first bio class at CC next block so I'll see how that goes and figure things out from there. </p>

<p>Has your son looked into different art adjuncts to see if there is a ceramics class? There a ton of different adjuncts and that seems like it's a possibility. </p>

<p>I currently ride on the equestrian team (I've been a rider for most of my life and am very passionate about it), sing in the choir, and am a member of CC Democrats. I plan on playing indoor IM soccer next block if my class isn't too time consuming (since it's a lab class). I used to play hockey and would love to join an advanced IM team but I'm pretty sure it's too late for that. Maybe next year.</p>

<p>What's an art adjunct? In looking at the catalogue, we couldn't find any classes with throwing.</p>

<p>PeaceOut, can I adopt you? I used to ride extensively (hunt seat and then dressage) and for a brief shining moment in my late 20's worked at a stable, taught beginners, and was able to own a horse. I also sing in a choir. When my S was young, we used to go on vacations that included riding, though by his teens he was totally into team sports. Cool that you do both.</p>

<p>I don't know if any generic politics is allowed on this board, but I'm really interested in who progressive students like for president. Is there any consensus among CC Democrats? I'm still undecided. I'm a dual citizen and vote in WA. My S will turn 18 in time for the election and he is toast if he does not register and vote.</p>

<p>Adjuncts are courses that a student can take in addition to the block course. For example, for the 5th block S is taking a block course in statistics and probability. That is the 5 days a week M-F 9:00 am course. He is also taking an adjunct (dance) course that meets in the afternoon 2 to 3 times a week.</p>

<p>Oh, on the original topic (orientation and adjustment), depending on where a student is trying to get to, the Colorado Springs airport is very managable. If the flights work better (or are only available) at the Denver airport, there is a shuttle service between the two airports.</p>

<p>Also, the issue of parents coming with their student for the freshman move in and orientation is another adjustment issue. S asked me to drive him from Texas because of the bicycle, skis etc. I started looking into it. The move in was Sat with a mandatory Sat nite meeting for students only in their dorm. The school schedules things that the parents may want to attend on Sat, Sun and Mon. </p>

<p>The move in was well organized (from the CC end). There were lots of soph students there to assist in getting the stuff into the dorm rooms. I'd estimate that 25% of the students did not have a parent there. They seemed to be able to handle it with the help of the sophs. So, for students who don't have parents attend orientation it is no big deal to get into the dorm. A personal observation is that my S wanted my assistance to get to CC and then he was ready to start his life at college. I spoke with his roommate's parents and several other sets of parents. We all laughed and said we had predicted that we weren't "necessary" past getting the student to CC, but hadn't realized how unnecessary our actual assistance would be.</p>

<p>If you can't or decide not to attend move in, your child will be in good hands.</p>

<p>S has slowly discussed some details over X-mas concerning interaction with the faculty. They really seem available and approachable to the students. Also, he has been in contact with his advisor and has already had discussions with faculty in his intended major. This seems to be a big plus since there really is a structure in place to assist the student in their freshman year on long-term issues.</p>

<p>Horsewomen unite! Peaceout, I just PMd you. Both my DDs have their eyes on a bio major and ultimately acceptance into a vet school. They are totally in love with science! Like canadianmom they work at a stable in exchange for riding lessons! I was fortunate enough to have a horse in my backyard for most of my childhood. I always rode western but my favorite thing was to hop on bareback :-)</p>

<p>CC is truly a place for females with an interest in science.</p>

<p>Three CC Alumnae Make Discover's Top 50 Women in Science</p>

<p>Discover magazine's November 2002 issue lists the "50 Most Important Women in Science." Out of those 50 women, three are Colorado College alumnae -- Margaret Liu '77, Jane Lubchenco '69, and Marcia McNutt '74. The total of three graduates from CC was topped only by MIT with four.</p>

<p>That's interesting about the adjuncts. Do they count towards the GPA or are they mostly for fun? Also so cool about the women scientists!</p>

<p>"We all laughed and said we had predicted that we weren't "necessary" past getting the student to CC, but hadn't realized how unnecessary our actual assistance would be."</p>

<p>I've heard before that most kids (at all schools) can hardly wait for their parents to leave. CC has 2 1/2 days where the parents are welcome at orientation activities. I was planning to go, but I'm wondering.........is it good, is it useful (for me).........or does it just prolong the agony? Do the students seem to participate happily in the joint activities with parents, or are they obviously champing at the bit? Would love to hear from the students on this one, also!</p>

<p>And are there any business and organizational details that are more easily handled if the parent is there?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>The adjuncts are worth 1/4 or 1/2 credit I think. So they count towards graduation...but minimally.</p>

<p>My parents would NOT want to stay for the orientation (nor would I want them to)</p>

<p>Just a word to the wise. My dad hung around not so much for orientation but he was really helpful getting me and my roommate to stores for add'l junk..like a couch from a thrift store, food, and all the junk you didn't want to haul from home. Don't rush them out. there are some good things for them to meet other parents too.</p>

<p>I checked with S, adjuncts are 1/4 block credits which count toward graduation.
He gave Arabic as another example.</p>

<p>I asked S tonight for his assessment of my "help" at move-in this last August. To my surprise, he said my suggestions for the room arrangement and willingness to "go fetch" stuff was appreciated. </p>

<p>FYI--bring fans (we found Voranados to be the best). If you look at the rooms on the virtual tour on the CC website you will notice lots of fans in every room.</p>

<p>However, we both still agree that parents hanging around past Sunday morning (the day after move-in) didn't do anything for either of us. So, I guess it is a personal thing.</p>