Out-of-State and Housing contract

<p>I have a question regarding housing contracts.</p>

<p>S1 has been accepted to Wisconsin, and on Friday he received a couple of packets related to dormitory housing contracts.</p>

<p>On the letter it says they must be returned with a check, to be postmarked by Feb. 26, or else there is no legally binding contract between my son and the dorms.</p>

<p>He is waiting both on potential scholarship offers, and acceptance offers at other schools he has applied to, so he does not yet want to commit.</p>

<p>Is it required to go with certain dormitory housing while a freshman at UW Madison? Do the available slots get taken up quickly, and is this the only chance to sign a contract which "locks in" his space in a dorm?</p>

<p>Any advice welcome; send private message if you need more details.</p>

<p>Thanks very much.</p>

<p>You can get out of the contract if your son decides not to attend UW. They just have it set up that way so that if he would like a place in the dorms, he can get one if he decides to go. The dorms are popular, so if your son does want to live in a public dorm if he attends UW, sign the contract.</p>

<p>Also there are no requirements for where freshmen live. Other options besides the public dorms would be the private dorms or apartments, though an apartment wouldn’t be the best for a freshman.</p>

<p>We’re in the same situation. The housing deposit is small and refundable, and you don’t have to pay the acceptance fee, just the housing deposit. You don’t have to give your final housing preferences until May 1 or 2 (can’t remember which) and when you submit it is not a factor in placement in dorms. So you have plenty of time after all decisions are in to either pull out of the contract or designate housing.</p>

<p>You’re not required to use the dorms and there are a couple of private housing companies that cater to students. Do a Search for ‘housing’ and you will find other threads that discuss this. Got to go now, PM me if you like.</p>

<p>Everyone with a signed contract has an equal chance of getting the dorm of their choice when Res Halls does the room assignment lottery in May. In/out of state no difference for this. Do be sure to notify both UW and Res Halls separately, in writing, to get deposits back if your son chooses to go elsewhere.</p>