Out of State Freshman. Help with housing?

<p>I will be attending UW Madison next year as a freshman and I still need to fill out my housing application. My deadline is May 1st and I was hoping some people could help me figure out which dorm is right for me. I toured the other day but we were unable to actually go into any of the residence halls. </p>

<p>A little about me: I am a male freshman from South Dakota and I liked the Lakeshore neighborhood the best. I am planning to major in compeer science although I doubt that would affect where I decide to live. I workout 4 to 5 days a week so I would like a dorm that is relatively close to a weight room. I like to party but only on weekends and I take my grades very seriously. I will most likely not be bringing a vehicle to campus but will have a bike and a bus pass. I can survive without air conditioning if i have to. I am riding financial aid hardcore so cheaper is better on everything from housing to food cost.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone!</p>

<p>My son lived in Bradley in the Lakeshore region his freshman year. It is close to the NAT recreation center. The cafeteria is right next door in Dejope. It is a residential learning community made up of only freshman. If you put it down as your first choice you will most likely get it. No AC, double rooms, community bathrooms per wing. </p>

<p>Look at the buildings and rooms in the Lakeshore area via the Res Halls website (the lofting guide has room pictures) and Google earth. All dorms and food services will be pretty equal, only the nuances are different. No matter what your ranking there will be plenty of freshmen in your dorm. Agree that closeness to any campus academic building doesn’t really matter. Lucky for you the meal plan is all a la carte- you only pay for what you want and refill your meal account as you need to. You also can eat at any Res Halls facility on campus so if your activities or classes make it more convenient to be away from your dorm that is no problem. You also will have a mini fridge to share with your roommate and one of you can provide a microwave oven- easy to keep snacks et on hand. On a budget- pay attention to the various dorm charges- those with air conditioning will cost more- most of the time you won’t want it. There are air conditioned libraries and likely lounges et al to hang out in the hottest weather.</p>