Out of State Students

<p>Why is the percentage of out of state students so low? I just discovered this school while looking for options for DS-15 and it seems like a hidden gem. Is it much harder to be admitted from out of state? Is there enough diversity from in-state students since NY is so large and diverse. Would an out of state kid feel out of place? </p>

<p>Has anyone compared St. Mary's in MD to Geneseo since they are both public LAC in rural areas?</p>

<p>It’s probably that the out-of-state tuition is more than double the in-state tuition, but still a great bargain compared to private schools of similar caliber. My son just finished his Freshman year as a Physics major, and he loved it. Kilplinger’s currently has it rated as the Number 3 Public College for out of state students in the country: <a href=“Best College Values, 2019 | Kiplinger”>Best College Values, 2019 | Kiplinger;

<p>I think the fact that the SUNY system lacks a flagship-type university like most other states have hurts the perception of SUNY schools in other states. Students from other states just don’t think about SUNY schools because most of them don’t have any immediate national name recognition. That does not mean that they are not recognized and respected by people who matter, however (employers, graduate institutions). Geneseo is one of the most difficult SUNY schools to get into, but I don’t think it hurts to be OOS (if anything, it probably helps). Also, Geneseo attracts students from across New York state, so the student population is pretty diverse. Many people think that all New Yorkers are like people from NYC, but once you are outside of NYC,the rest of the state is a mix of people, similar to other states in the northeast/midwest. Now if you are from, say, Alabama, you might feel out of place in a small LAC in upstate New York, but you would probably find it to be an interesting experience as well! </p>

<p>From what I know of St. Mary’s, I think they are very similar.</p>

<p>I agree that it’s remarkably low. Being from Massachusetts, I’m really surprised more Mass residents don’t look to New York schools to fill the gaps left by the Massachusetts public system. There are really no high quality public liberal arts colleges in Mass. Aside from Geneso, which is near Rochester, I would think that New Paltz would be quite attractive for Mass residents, but it really isn’t, I think the high in-state percentage is a turn-off so it’s self-propelling. </p>