Outside scholarship?

<p>With the school scholarships, all the awards are divided in half and half is awarded in the fall and the other half in the spring.</p>

<p>How are outside scholarships handled? I assumed it would be the same, but I just checked my son’s account and it seems that one of his scholarships was just applied and the entire amount was credited for the fall. </p>

<p>For anyone who’s had an outside award in the past, will outside awards be divided for fall and spring or will they credit 100% of the award to the current (fall) bill?</p>

<p>Yes, outside scholarships are usually applied in total in the fall.</p>

<p>I have a question about an outside scholarship, too. D received a check made out to UA today. Should we mail it now or just hand it in when she arrives on campus. How will it effect financial aid if we mail it and if we wait?</p>

<p>^^^Call the financial aid office and see how they want you to handle this.</p>

<p>Yankee…</p>

<p>I would probably hand it in to make sure it didn’t get lost in the mail.</p>

<p>It will get applied to any outstanding balance. If there isn’t an outstanding balance, then you’ll get the money back around 2 weeks later.</p>

<p>Your Pell Grant cannot be reduced. Any sub loans might get reduced IF the total amount of aid is exceeding COA…which I don’t think will happen.</p>

<p>The loans should be wiped out for this year. Right now she has loans of $1200 a semester.</p>

<p>She’s got this check for $700 one time. Then another outside $1,000 a semester that hasn’t been processed yet. Hopefully that will show up soon. Then the NM from UA which we know comes later and 150 for emerging scholars. </p>

<p>Will the SEOG go away? Just trying to plan ahead. And any idea when disbursements come out?</p>

<p>My D received several private scholarships in addition to her Presidential. Only one of them, an alumni scholarship, had a restriction which required half to be for fall semester and half to be for spring semester. She had a few that were applied in total for fall semester and one that was a certain amount per year for each of the four years.</p>

<p>I called Financial aid. The woman wasn’t sure about SEOG. I will assume it’s going away. Disbursements of over awards will be made on the 12 with direct deposit and paper checks will be mailed on the 13th.</p>

<p>Add up her “free money” without counting SEOG…does it meet COA? If it does, than SEOG has to go away. </p>

<p>However, if the free money doesn’t meet COA, then she might get to keep it.</p>