Paradise is burning

Horrible, horrible news from Maui. People jumping into the ocean to escape flames. Lahaina’s front street businesses are damaged. Phone service is down and tourists are being evacuated. There are smaller fires burning elsewhere in Hawaii. So sad.

Oh no! What brought this on?

Prayers for all. Special thoughts to @HImom (not sure exactly where she is but none the less upsetting)

1 Like

Multiple issues all at once…Sadly some of it it arson related - there are several large homeless camps and individuals that are notorious for fire starting, stolen vehicle burning, and there’s a hurricane Dora that’s bringing mighty winds.

1 Like

Hope @HImom is not affected. She is on Oahu, I think. There are fires on that island, too, but so far, those appeared to be contained when I was looking at the fire map.

4 Likes

:pray:t4: :crossed_fingers:t4: :pray:t4:

4 Likes

I am on Oahu and not near any fires. Sounds awful.

16 Likes

We finalized everything for our late September/October trip to Maui on Sunday. I purchased trip insurance, TG. Right now, it appears that the lodging we booked in Kihei and Kaanapali is untouched, but the west side is still burning, as is Upcountry.

The video I saw of Lahaina is horrific. So much of old town is reportedly gone.

Remnants of hurricane Dora brought high winds on Monday and Tuesday, causing power lines to fall. I’m sure that sparked some flames.

Heartbreaking

1 Like

Hurricane winds are apparently preventing helicopters from dropping water on the fires on the Big Island and Maui. The ecosystem of Hawaii is so delicate… these fires will have a lasting effect. Especially those that are raging in forest areas.

1 Like

This might affect folks of Oahu, too. Patients are being brought to Honolulu from the affected areas putting a strain on the hospitals. There is only one burn unit in the entire state apparently. :mending_heart:

I believe straub has a burn unit because in of my contractors was a burn nurse. He said it was thankless work and very challenging.

Maui is one of my favorite places, we’ve been there with family many times over the years, it’s my happy place. Devastating. My heart hurts for the people of Maui. The scene from the airport, 2000 or more spending the night there (it’s a tiny airport), and people jumping into the ocean to escape the flames, it all sounds like something from the apocalypse. My heart also hurts for the earth and all its inhabitants.

You may not be able to get to Ka`anapali from Kahului (where the OGG airport is) or Kihei if Lahaina is on fire.

If these fires are still raging in September, it would mean the entire island is in huge trouble. Hope for the best.

3 Likes

We’ll see what happens over the next few weeks. It’s really too early for us to worry over anything but the people who live there.

4 Likes

I’ve got a long standing trip planned for late Sept early Oct. things will likely calm down by then, but my heart belongs to Maui. I go no less than 2x a year. We’ll volunteer when we’re there. They can use all the help and support they can get.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this earlier! I checked in with a friend of mine on vacation in West Maui. As of ~5 hours ago, she had no power/internet/anything at the resort in Ka’anapali and they were told to “hunker down” for the time being. Praying for safety for all there and that they will make headway against the fires.

2 Likes

The Big Island is burning, too. Mauna Kea Beach area…

https://bigislandnow.com/2023/08/09/hawaii-firefighters-continue-to-battle-3-wildfires-on-wednesday-in-north-and-south-kohala/

My heart is hurting for those poor people who have died. We were in Lahaina in 2018 and have such happy memories. DS just texted me wondering about the majestic banyan tree, which I believe is lost. Just unbelievable.

Lahaina/Kaanapali/Maui have been part of our family tradition since 2003…

Pictures of all of us under the Banyon tree for 15 years.

A trip is on the books for early October. This trip replaces one we had to cancel in early May due to DS having a very serious cycle accident.

The October trip was to be a healing trip.

Hopefully we can take it…because Maui/Lahaina is on a healing path…and because we are all grateful that our son is on one.

1 Like