Paradise is burning

My kids stayed at the Four Seasons in Maui shortly before the fire. Now, they are offering a terrific rate for rooms, with the money going to Maui Strong. I suspect other hotels are doing something similar.

5 Likes

Wow—4 seasons Maui is a lovely hotel—out of my price range but gorgeous!

2 Likes

We stayed at the hotel next to 4 seasons and enjoyed walking over to it. It was kinder to our wallet that way. My brother was asst manager of rooms there decades ago but said it was too expensive, even with his 50% off discount (we were all very poor).

1 Like

I checked it out and was floored by the prices!

1 Like

DIL booked through Costco. It was a delayed honeymoon, some 3 years later.

1 Like

We stayed at the Grand Wailea, next door to the Four Seasons. It was very pricey and so full of young children that we felt like we were at Disney World 24/7. We walked over to the Four Seasons and wished we had stayed there instead. It was so elegant, quiet, and peaceful.

I hope Maui gets back to whatever the new “normal” becomes very soon. People need to work, and bills don’t pay themselves.

1 Like

My husband just read that the Grand Wailea is the biggest water user on Maui.

I’m not surprised. It’s a huge hotel and has extensive pools.

1 Like

It always amazed me that people would sit by by and splash in the pools instead of going to the beach. You landlocked and cold weather folks are in Hawaii! Where the ocean is swimmable! Even if you don’t swim in it, just sit by the water and enjoy the sounds and the scenery!

We are definitely taking our Big Island trip. Might splurge on a trip to Wailea later on. I’m not sure I would be able to drive by Lahaina any time soon… Kaanapali and Kapalua will have to open to visitors at some point, but I don’t think I’d go there this or next year.

4 Likes

I lean more in your direction. When we go to Kauai, “our place” doesn’t even have a pool, but it’s within feet of the ocean.
“Our place” in Maui just has a small pool, but good snorkeling right next to the condo.
We will likely not make it back to Hawaii until 2025. I hope Maui has recovered substantially by then (for their sake, not mine).

My kids would have picked the ocean, but I don’t judge. I know many children who love nothing more than swimming pools, especially elaborate ones, because they only get to use them during vacations!

1 Like

Years ago, we stayed at the Sheraton. 7 pools and the black rock. All was good

What’s wrong with having both? I grew up going to the beach - my family has had a beach house since I was little. However, I also enjoy the pool. I lived in Hawaii years ago, walking distance to the beach, but the house we lived in had a pool in the backyard. When we traveled to the islands, it was nice having both. After a day of hiking, sightseeing or whatever, it was nice to just pop down to the pool for a bit, read, relax and have a cocktail poolside without getting sandy before dinner.

Some people are not beach people - my niece had sensory issues and could not stand the sand. My sister and her family still enjoy tropical vacations, but due to their daughter’s sensory issues having a pool was preferred.

1 Like

I love the look and sound of the ocean but won’t get in it, I don’t like sand and I want to see the bottom and not be nibbled on by fish.

4 Likes

If anyone has an interest - there’s a google doc spreadsheet circulating with local Maui shops etc., with an online presence to purchase items directly. This boosts their economy as well as providing hope for some small businesses. Some are even donating funds from their sales to those in need there right now.

I don’t usually buy holiday gifts, but this year may be different - so far I’ve donated to my friend Chad as well as the Maui Humane Society…my company is matching up to $10k. It feels good to try and do some good from afar.

3 Likes

I lived in Hawaii for several years. I can count on one hand the number of times I went in the ocean. The ocean in Hawaii is extremely powerful and can easily knock you off your feet just standing in the surf. It is not a place for small children to play. It is nothing like mainland coasts. There is no continental shelf to dampen the power of the ocean. Drowning is the number one cause of visitor deaths in Hawaii. Nature is very powerful in Hawaii, as the wildfires have demonstrated to the rest of the world.

3 Likes

There are just so many stores. Does your friend chad own one?

1 Like

We were able to get our stay on west Maui refunded, and today we extended our time in Kihei by a few days. The management company for that condo eliminated the booking fee and are giving us a late checkout. (We have to move to another unit for 4 nights.)
Rental car rates through Costco have dropped, so we’re canceling that reservation and rebooking at the lower rate.
I’m on hold with Hawaiian air to change our return flight to a couple of days earlier.

It won’t be quite the holiday we originally planned, but it will be ok.

2 Likes

Chad doesn’t own a store. Chad is the owner of Maui Ocean Riders. One man, one boat (rigid raft) excursions to Lana’i to snorkel, explore caves, whale watch and have fun (not a party scene). His boat (raft) and truck both perished in the fire. They were his sole support for his young family.

2 Likes

Visit places not affected by the fires, spend/tip well, and go home. Be respectful. That is the message for tourists from the Maui businesses. They need the tourism $$ support!

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/visit-spend-go-home-what-people-in-maui-want-you-to-know-if-you-visit/