Parents caring for the parent support thread (Part 1)

@tx5athome. Very sorry for your loss.

@tx5athome sending sympathy - I was expecting we’d feel mostly relief at the passing of three parents after years of dementia, but every time we were surprised by grief ambushes.

@tx5athome I agree that staff who worked with your dad will be able to get you started. I’m sorry for your loss. “Not unexpected” sometimes brings the hardest sucker punches.

@tx5athome, I’m so sorry. May your memories of your dad be a comfort and a blessing.

@tx5athome I’m so sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss, @tx5athome. Wishing you comfort.

If a funeral home is involved, they can be helpful with procuring death certificates, providing the forms for requesting a veteran’s marker or flag if relevant, sharing general information about obituaries, how to handle any charities that are to be mentioned, etc. I found them very helpful with logistics.

I’m so sorry @tx5athome. Even when expected, it’s difficult. Peace to you and your family.

So sorry @tx5athome! May your memories bring you comfort at this tough time.

So sorry @tx5athome . Your comment about expecting relief but being ambushed by grief really hit home, and I hope you can find some peace as time goes on.

Very sorry for your loss.

@tx5athome so sorry for your loss.
Don’t feel guilty for feeling some relief if you do. Since you probably have been handling so much already, the checklist is smaller. Notifying friends and family is something that perhaps you can delegate to small chunks. Person A is requested to let B, C, D know…
I feel more grief now after 2 years than I did the first few months after Mom passed just because being in memory care and seeing her like that was so hard. Now with covid that would have been even more hard.

@tx5athome I’m so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and your family. Hugs to you.

@tx5athome my deepest condolences.

@tx5athome sorry for your loss. I agree that the funeral home can help get you started on any paperwork you need to do, etc. It can be overwhelming even if everything was in order in advance.

So sorry, @tx5athome

My condolences, as well.

I found the various folks (funeral home, credit card companies, other admin or financial contacts, etc) were all very helpful and prepared to tell me what they needed, timelines, etc. I do agree one of the first things is to order enough death certs. You won’t know how many entities might need them, who returns a copy after they inspect it, etc. When I didn’t have enough, the funeral home ordered more, had them within a day.

We ordered 35 death certificates when my SisIL died. I believe we used nearly all of them.

I ordered 10 and used 5. Several institutions scanned them and gave the original back to me.

Most places insisted they needed to keep the original certified copy. At least one place insisted we send them a certified birth certificate for their files as well. They insisted on keeping that too.

For us and our executor, Wells Fargo was by far the very worst company to deal with. They had been working with our executor regularly for a period of time and then out of the blue threatened to forfeit the account to the state due to inactivity!

Thank you so much for the condolences and advice. I have contacted the funeral home. They suggested 5-10 death certificates so I ordered 10. We have zoom meetings set up with his financial guy and his lawyer later this week. He was not religious. We will have a very small service in my backyard next weekend with just my kids and my sister. Any other relatives that want to attend will have the option of zooming in. I will go maybe tomorrow to clean out his room. The staff at his memory care are really sad. As awful as he could be he could also be very sweet and endearing. They were so good to him. We want to give them some sort of thank you gift but we have no idea what is appropriate. Any ideas?