Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

My son also did not like the TAMU campus and already declined admissions there.

I know several people that attended Texas Tech and Texas Tech Medical school and loved the experience. If your Ds goal is medical school, she can’t go wrong with TT.

Good luck to her!

7 Likes

Definitely, it’s a huge relief having kids stay close by. My S21 is almost decided with BU (will commit next week, just waiting for an appeal reply). Though we wish he chooses close ones like UCSB, (he is also waitlisted at UCB, UCLA but adamant that he wants to move away from CA even if he comes off the waitlist :flushed:). Glad at least we have our daughter an hour away at Stanford :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. Also glad that one of our kids is utilizing the NMF scholarship (BU) :slight_smile:
Congratulations to your daughter!

5 Likes

This is good to know. Thanks!

Pls click on ‘dismiss’ button at the end of thread suggestions.

1 Like

@CollegeYaYa
my wife says Wake Forest. I recently saw that average grades at UT-Austin were 3.1-3.2. I suspect Wake’s average grades are higher than that. Maybe not. I don’t see any record of their average grades. Any idea what TX Tech’s med school admission rate is? How many apply, get in and where?

“going to an in-state university increases her chances of being admitted to Texas public grad schools.” What’s the basis for this? I don’t know about TX medical schools but UH law school has lots of people from OOS private colleges. You want to mix it up and take best candidates.

If this was my kid, I’d lean into the UT CAP option if you can transfer to Austin in a pre-med major. She can live in a dorm at UTA with other CAP’d students or commute for one year with a focus of landing at her dream school.

1 Like

I’ve read that Texas medical schools give preference to in-state applicants. I wrongly assumed this was the case for all Texas grad schools. Texas Tech offers early admittance to their med school to a handful of students in the Honors College, but it’s extremely competitive to get these early admittance offers, so we have to assume our daughter won’t get this. I’m going to look into TT med school’s acceptance rate. I also will request that TT send me a list of grad schools their recent graduates attend, if they have this available.

UT Austin CAP program is still on the table. I have told my daughter to put a pros/cons list to help her with deciding. I’ll share your feedback with her. Thanks so much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If his friend isn’t sure about what to do, I’d eliminate USC from the list. If he’s interested in health fields and research, UCI isn’t a bad idea either.

1 Like

Does Baylor College of Medicine give preference to Texas residents? Link
The admissions committee uses the same criteria to evaluate applicants whether they are in-state or out-of-state residents.

TX residents pay $28k per year in tuition vs $41k for OOS residents.

2 Likes

@Suave123 Congrats to your son! My daughter also got the NMF scholarship from BU, but is not seriously considering it at this point.

I assumed Baylor gave preference to in-state applicants, but I could be wrong. I’ll have to look and see how many students they admit from OOS versus in-state to get a sense.

1 Like

So funny to hear you describe it as “eastern seaboard”. Just make sure he says “by the lakefront”. You’ll hit all those schools with the exception of IIT and UIC just driving up and down LSD/Sheridan Road.

Roosevelt, DePaul and Columbia even share a dorm downtown together and some classes are coop since not enough kids sign up at the individual schools so they offer at one. So many opportunities here and a great city for kids. No traffic these days either so people might as well jump on that while they can because once things get back to normal it is the absolute worst!

She will figure it all out and find her happy place! She’s probably making the right decision in not taking the CAP as even with guaranteed transfer soph year to UT which IMO is not a big deal at all, the issue is it still wouldn’t guarantee her major from what I’ve heard so then what?

Also, if she feels A&M is too conservative for her, then it probably is. UT is really liberal and many parents are way more conservative than their students and seem to have trouble understanding that UT is a liberal campus and their kids want that. If your daughter has been in the NE for boarding school that also has changed some of her views as well.

Bottom line, if she doesn’t like Tech she can always transfer and be no worse off than she would’ve been if she took CAP from UT. I don’t think it’ll happen this year but last year they wound up accepting a lot of kids they offered CAP to that were actually going to other colleges in August. It is ridiculous that you live there and she’s considered OOS but I think it does go based on your high school especially for the AA anyway.

I’m not sure they’ve released their numbers yet for percentages accepted OOS but it’s still usually consistently 90% in state and 10% OOS broken down between 2% international and 8% just OOS but not international. We had a bunch get in as we usually do but I think only 4 from our OOS school are attending. I think we had a ton apply this year as UT is super popular up here.

Good luck to her, if she has her mind set on medical school then this is the best route to success! She sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders.

2 Likes

sending you a PM.

Just a PSA - Turn on Covid notifications on your iPhone or download a notification app if on Android. D21 and I got a notification last night that we were exposed to Covid-19 on our flights home from seeing colleges in NY last weekend. I’m fully vaccinated, but she had only had one shot at that time (now has both), so she has to quarantine and get tested.

9 Likes

How?

On an iPhone, go to settings, then notifications. It’s a sunburst icon that says “Exposure Notifications.” Click allow notifications. (I’m not 100% sure that all states are part of the system.)

I’ve read some comments from people whose kids did the CAP program and it was a great experience, they made friends, and then they all entered UT Austin as their own little cohort. If she thinks the academics will work out for her it is worth a shot, and would be very affordable.

1 Like

I believe this feature came from a collaborative effort to contact-trace between Apple and Google from last year. It relies on people who turn this feature on. However, not enough people did it (probably for privacy consideration or lack of awareness) so it isn’t reliable at all.

We’re choosing to believe that we were exposed & are acting accordingly.

5 Likes

Yes, you should. If you got a notification, it meant you were within 6 ft of someone who were infected (and had this feature turned on his/her phone) for a certain duration.