Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

This is the funniest thing I have read in a few months and rolling laughing at this joke!

1 Like

The selection committee likes the LOCI to be sincere and from the heart, so be sure to include some tear stains on your LOCI.

3 Likes

This is even better! Today you seem so relaxed and fun loving! This must be because you are out of college application mood.

For those who have older kids in college I have a question. I have sophomores so last year was of course a sh*t show as everything just stopped and getting their crap packed up was at the seat of their pants. My ex husband drove from Chicago to Ithaca to pick her up and literally just threw her stuff in a storage facility and brought a ton home. Of course, much of what came home should’ve gone to the storage and vice versa but he was so freaked he wanted her home. The one in Austin was already home for Spring Break never to return so we hired someone to go to her dorm and pack her up. So, we never had a normal end of year, dorm/apartment back up which leaves me to this question for those of you with older kids

I have been dealing with making arrangements for getting my girls set up for storing their stuff and getting it picked up etc. I am flying to Austin to help my daughter because I haven’t been there this year. She flew by herself to deal with it all in the fall since Covid was so bad and I haven’t seen her sorority room or anything. Anyway, I feel like all these places are a total ripoff. Is it me? They come and pick up the stuff, store it for the summer then deliver it to the apartment in the fall. We thought about doing it ourselves but then when I realized it will be 100+ degrees in August and she’s living in a high rise, I thought hell no. I do not need to be sweating like a pig getting stuff out of storage and out of a car. But one place wanted $850 and trust me, she does not have a ton of stuff! I want to know is it a racket or is this normal? I think we found a place that it’ll be like $500 but that still seems ridiculous and not what I expected.

1 Like

We thought those services where they pack stuff up and then bring it back in the fall were way too expensive. My kid and her friends split the costs for a storage unit over the summer and it was a fraction of the cost. But, yes, sweat equity was involved.

2 Likes

So in other news for those waiting I heard that Cornell took people off the waitlist today and Carnegie Mellon has, although maybe CMU isn’t new. My daughters just told me they know of people who got in.

1 Like

We paid $350 for 8 boxes and a very large rug for them to pick up at her dorm room and store for the summer and deliver in the fall to her new room. I thought it was a steal frankly considering she’s on the 3rd floor this year and next year and there’s no elevator.

3 Likes

We bought a fold flat cart/dolly and do it ourselves. Storage is about $35 a month and yes, it is hot in FL, so it’s not fun. This year D18 will do it all by herself- after so many years of packing and help, she should have it down! If she doesn’t, not my problem! :joy:

2 Likes

That is a steal and more in line with what the place at Cornell is charging. That place is even providing the boxes - up to 10! Even then I wasn’t thrilled with paying $374 or whatever it was. Now I realize it IS a steal.

Last year I think the storage facility was way less, but the amount of time driving back and forth for us isn’t worth it. Neither have a car and to ask their friends to help drive just costs them a lot in favors. If we do our own storage in Texas we have to get a dolly and make sure it’s temperature controlled (someone just told me of a place they had rats at when they picked their stuff up, but I don’t now how you don’t use temp control in that kind of heat).

All a learning experience for sure! Also I think I have been so overwhelmed dealing with my son’s stuff that I got distracted. What I really hate though is that the one has a final on May 24 and has to be out of her sorority by the next day. Same issue if she lived in the dorms. There is just no grace for these kids. To have them sit there and have the pressure of studying for finals, yet trying to rush to pack up and store their stuff for a summer away is beyond me. I have a ticket to go to Ithaca too but my daughter as of last weekend claims she doesn’t think she needs me to come. I didn’t cancel it because I know her and am not sure she will be able to get it done in time for them to be picked up and then will claim she’s too stressed to do it. Same issue as when her dad drove to get her last year when school closed and she was supposed to start packing BEFORE he came and had done NOTHING! SMH.

This is the one major benefit of my last kid going to school within driving distance. Thank god!

1 Like

Math-loving ds states that in this case the size of the bouncer is inversely proportional to the quality of your grades :rofl:

4 Likes

This is what my daughter did after her freshman year. She and one of her roommates rented a storage unit. It cost us $100 for three months in a temp-controlled unit (in San Diego for COL reference). It really was not a big deal moving; she and her roommate moved their things themselves.

I would love for her/them to do this, unfortunately most of them live in state and my kids are OOS so the in staters take their crap home. Mine can’t, sooooo

My kids clearly need to find friends also from OOS.

We have a condo in Austin we own and I’m sure our tenant is leaving this month because he’s graduating. I would love to put her crap there but the flip side is his lease is through July so then it just costs us rent revenue.

We are dealing with the storage situation from Spring 2020 right now for D19. She had Emory’s preferred provider pick up her packed boxes and store them until fall. Then Emory didn’t have students back this year (except a few), so we have paid an additional 2 semesters of storage at something like $350 per semester. She didn’t even have much stuff! D19 was planning to drive to Atlanta this weekend (from where she’s temporarily living in TX) to get her stuff, but found out she couldn’t. She’s not allowed to pick things up. She has to have it delivered, and they can’t do that until next weekend. That’s really screwed up her plans for doing it before finals and before coming home. I don’t think her things are even being stored in Atlanta. It’s really frustrating, and I wish we had made a different decision.

Loving the bar comments!
Just want to say that living driving distance from the university for my S17 proved to be a negative during COVID. When school shut down in March his roommates packed up their personal items and flew home for the 2-3 weeks of lockdown we were all expecting. Once things escalated they were unable to come back when the lease was up. We had the ‘luxury’ of packing up the communal apartment items- that are currently stored in my garage😂
Their university has been virtual all year so they never moved back.
They are all seniors so will graduate next month (virtual).
The kicker is my son has taken a job a fairly long plane ride from home and will be setting up in an apartment there so I’m stuck figuring out what to
do with all this stuff!

2 Likes

Ok we tried it all including the coin flip. It comes down to student life vs. depth in major. So we are trying to access the gut. Pretending for now that he picked one and will gut check am.

Still at the WL bar for Notre Dame or UW CS (latter not going to happen). Mercifully, ND promises to release us from the WL bar by 3rd week in May so no last call.

13 Likes

Colgate versus Santa Clara?

Yep

I wish I could offer some sage advice. I’m sure you know the rundown of each ad nauseam.

1 Like

Ugh that sounds like a nightmare!! Hopefully she can get her stuff soon!!

1 Like

Yeah that’s one bad thing if you live a little too close!