Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Yes, we did. They said the approval is pending right now

1 Like

Oh my goodness — we are done. Sort of.

Acceptances:

University of Oregon — full-tuition Stamps Scholar, Honors College.

Tufts, generous financial aid above NPC. Within budget.

University of Southern California — not awarded big-ticket merit scholarship, awaiting financial aid determination and hoping for smaller merit scholarship. Invitation to apply for honors program.

Occidental College — Margaret Bundy Scott Scholar, $30,000 yearly for 4 years, their top award. Additional generous financial aid. Price now below a UC.

University of Washington — $14,000 Honors Achievement Award for 2 years, their largest award for OOS students. Also Purple and Gold scholarship $4,200 for four years. Honors college.

SDSU —Honors college

Waitlists: UCLA (will accept a spot). Georgetown, not sure if she will accept a spot. Declined spots at UCB, UCSB, George Washington University.

Rejected: Brown

Also: Cameron Scholarship finalist

35 Likes

That is a wonderful list!

2 Likes

OMG. D22 just got into Brown and Dartmouth! Also, Northwestern, Vassar, Wesleyan, UMD Honors and Muhlenberg Dana Scholars. All decent FA, some great FA, Very exciting.
Waitlist: Middlebury
Rejected: Princeton, Williams, Cambridge, Yale SCEA, UMich Acting BFA

Just reeling.

57 Likes

Fantastic!!!

2 Likes

Thank you! She agrees! A lot of unexpected things. She started out really pushing for rah, rah football schools and now top choices include Oxy and Tufts! In the end it was about the academic programs, opportunities for research, internships etc. We were mystified by the UC waitlists, but in the end so, so happy and excited. We aren’t going to make final price the bottom line decision. If the school is in budget, it is on the table.

6 Likes

Ok we are almost finished as well (just Stanford tomorrow but don’t want him to go so far to California).

Accepted
Princeton
Brown
Duke
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
WashU
Wesleyan
NortheasternIN

Waitlisted Cornell

Rejected: Harvard, Yale

Princeton is our cheapest option by almost $20,000. I guess they needed the Bass in their opera company! (if he gets into Stanford,he would choose it but we will be having the money conversation because Princeton is very affordable and no X-country flights to worry about).

56 Likes

The college admission race ends for son with a waitlist at Cornell. He will attend Carnegie Mellon for CS. I do believe the stars aligned perfectly for him. This has been his dream school since we began this journey last summer and the school is highly ranked in both AI and game development, both areas of interest for him. CMU was very generous with aid. He also received the Amazon Future engineer scholarship that will help with any extras as well as their paid coding internship for next summer. My son tells me that internship is more valuable to him than money.
I have a daughter class of 2024 completely different from her brother. More focused on literature/creative writing and just starting to get interested in coding so I will be reading these boards regularly for insights. Good luck to everyone,especially the kids on their journeys over the next four years.

36 Likes

Massively impressive results, @Southoftheriver !! She even got money out of Tufts!

Now you have quite the decision — best wishes!

5 Likes

Thank you so much! Will update when there is a decision! Is your D waiting for Stanford?

2 Likes

Yes, but she is not holding her breath! :smile:

Interesting that — compared with privates and OOS — you didn’t feel the love from the UCs as a resident and we didn’t feel the love from UW (no Honors or direct admit) as a resident. It makes me wonder if historic trends with the respective in-state high schools negatively impacted them there. :thinking:

Or it might just be the lottery factor of gazillions of apps.

5 Likes

Congrats to your son on CMU! Hope he thrives there. One question though, was he really considering Cornell over CMU for CS ??

4 Likes

That’s such an incredible list! :raised_hands: And so many scholarship dollars! That is just amazing. Really happy for you! :smile:

Keep us posted on the final decision. They all look like fantastic options!

7 Likes

Thank you. And no. He’s been bleeding tartan since last Saturday lol.

4 Likes

Congrats on the wonderful acceptances, but on Princeton in particular (near and dear to my heart on many levels - hubby and I went to grad school there and were married in the chapel)… It’s a phenomenal institution!

5 Likes

Wow!!! That is quite a list of acceptances! How exciting!

3 Likes

Yes I am in shock. I told him not to apply (application was pretty complicated and seemed unlikely). I want him to go, relatively easy to get home, cheaper, can get to NYC easily (many relatives there etc). I just didn’t think it was a realistic option (meanwhile I told him he would get into Cornell, so what do I know).

4 Likes

I had no idea that the formulas for calculating need-based aid were so different among the most selective institutions that Princeton would be $20k less than Brown or Duke. Congratulations to your son on all the acceptances and the hard work that made them possible!

5 Likes

Yes I am shocked. Princeton has no loan policy (I think Harvard does also not sure).

2 Likes

They have a gigantic endowment. So glad they are using it to make it affordable!

3 Likes