Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 2)

Doing a bit of research. This likely will be pretty close to the view from my sons dorm.

6 Likes

deleted

Registration priority is based on semesters completed at UC Berkeley, not number of units completed. Enrollment Appointments and Phases | Student Information Systems

1 Like

He has his associates degree, once the transfer credit report is complete, his standing as a junior wonā€™t impact his registration priority?

I believe that ā€œLevelā€ (freshman, sophomore, junior etc) may affect which courses he is allowed to register for, but it seems to be separate from ā€œTerms in Attendance,ā€ which affects enrollment time priority. You can see that ā€œLevelā€ and ā€œTerms in Attendanceā€ are separate line items in CalCentral.

From the link I posted above (emphasis mine), ā€œEnrollment appointments are determined by the number of semesters a student has completed at UC Berkeley; start dates and times are randomly generated. New transfer students are considered to have four terms completed.ā€

More experienced Cal parents are welcome to chime in, of course :slight_smile:

Course registration is Thursday? Ugh ā€” I think yet another reason my kid may not want to do a late pivot to Cal from UCSD. That just seems like too much to wrap her head around within 2 days.

Yes itā€™s this Thursday morning, and I think they also have to go through the Golden Bear Advising to be cleared to register for classes, although I am not sure how this will work for late admits off the wait list?? GBA is time consuming (especially in L&S, I hear). Golden Bear Advising - Golden Bear Orientation

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ Iā€™m curious to see how that works moving forward. My daughter had priority at Cal Poly from her dual credit. Iā€™m hoping my son may get a bump from his dual credit.

Registration is Thursday. Has she accepted her offer? I would get that advising task done asap.

No. She has until tomorrow night to accept or not (she came off the waitlist last week). Between it being so close to home, housing issues, class registration, and the fact that it would cut off an extra 5 weeks of summer this year, Iā€™m guessing itā€™s not going to happen. If Cal were anywhere other than here, she might rally, butā€¦:tired_face:.

I know that many universities give an enrollment priority boost for this, but it doesnā€™t work that way at Cal. Someone asked this question on reddit and people laughed at themā€¦

The only thing Iā€™m not sure about is whether extra units result in a higher standing affecting the ability to enroll in higher level classes. That is, some classes list ā€œSenior standingā€ or ā€œJunior standingā€ as a prerequisite.

My son will be coming in with slightly over 42 units, so we will see if that makes any difference in the ā€œLevelā€ after they process everything. Itā€™s also possible that the units wonā€™t make much difference at all (other than allowing him to skip Math 1A/1B, Physics 7A, etc).

1 Like

Yes, I canā€™t imagine switching direction this late in the summer when everything is already mostly settled! Even if it had been earlier, UCSD has a LOT going for it tooā€¦

2 Likes

I just took her temperature on the matter again (she has been afraid to close the door completely on the idea), and it seems pretty clear: she would only switch to Cal because she feels like she ā€œshouldā€ and not because she wants to. She thinks sheā€™ll be happier at UCSD. So I think thatā€™s that! I know you know all too well that itā€™s hard to decide to go to a school that is perceived as being somehow ā€œlesserā€ when an option that is more highly-sought-after is on the table. But in this case, feels like itā€™s the right call!

12 Likes

Whatā€™s your childā€™s major? My son is coming in with over 60 units. Heā€™s hoping to start first semester with math 53 and physics 5a.

1 Like

Materials science. He wanted to take the physics 5 seriesā€¦ but his advisor said they would only allow the 7 series. She said that in practice, the 5 series is only allowed for people who switch majors from L&S physics or something like that. Looks like it will be hard to get in to physics 7B this semester, unless it is the 8am section which conflicts with the section of math 53 that still has seatsā€¦ so he will probably take mat sci 45 along with math 53 (if he can even get a seat in math 53ā€¦)

2 Likes

Maybe the Berkeley course selection discussion would be more appropriate in the Berkeley forum.

7 Likes

Is anyone taking advantage of any of the Amazon prime day deals that started today for dorm shopping? Target also has a lot of stuff on sale also. DD leaves in 5 weeks and weā€™ve bought almost nothing yet - literally just a fan and some IKEA bags. I was far more on top of things when my first kid went to college! Anyway, please share if you find a great deal on anything dorm-related.

2 Likes

Bedding seems to be the hottest commodity every time I do this. Those twin xl sheets get scarce and a lot or retailers take some time to deliver. I would order bedding today. Amazon has nice twin xl sheets at a good price. We ordered a comforter from pottery barn back in May, but I donā€™t know that Iā€™d trust them this late in the game. We found a desk fan, hangers, pillows, shower caddy, and towels all at target very reasonably priced.

1 Like

On the plus side, at least Berkeley not only gives credit for most APs but lets you advance standing with them and skip courses. All three of my kids took between 10-13 APs, mostly getting 4ā€™s and 5ā€™s. The first two were able to use 1-2 of them. S23 may be able to use 3 (at most) out of 13.

3 Likes

We are very fortunate that way. California publicā€™s have been very generous with accepting credit. My kids didnā€™t use many APs because those classes were also dual credit, but their colleges took all of that dual credit.

2 Likes