Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 2)

@neela1 answered for the university as a whole, but it also doesn’t look bad to the recommending professors—plans change, after all, and if anything at all we’d be glad to see a student we thought well enough of to recommend back in our own classes.

6 Likes

I’m eager for feedback on Hope.

PM if necessary. :grin:

Syracuse and Holland are very comparable in temps.

@swan1 I know you are disappointed with the colleges for your daughter, but I wouldn’t start somewhere with the intent of transferring. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy … she will be unhappy because she won’t really try to integrate with her peers and guess what? Won’t make friends. And then starting somewhere where everyone else has a friend group and has activities.

Is there something she can do to take a gap year? Volunteer? Get a job and earn money to make those financial decisions easier? Maybe take a few classes at community college in areas of exploration?

I just know walking into freshman year planning on leaving sounds like a recipe for disaster.

IMHO of course. Ymmv.

5 Likes

Yes you are right. I too hope she stays happy wherever she chooses to attend.

That’s a very optimistic way!

1 Like

She is way mature and most likely she will either stay put or even if she tried to transfer she will still give her 100%
She is very good overall so gap year is not an option at all.
With her AP credits she can graduate early or go for combined undergrad and grad and then see where life takes her.
I am just curious to understand how process works.
She does things as she wants I usually don’t influence her much.

1 Like

What is your daughter’s intended major?

1 Like

Computer Science/ Engineering with strong interest in business/finance .

Has your daughter looked at how Computer Science is like at PSU? My son was debating between PSU and another school. He took a deep dive into their curriculums and researched how students like the CS program at PSU and school #2. He eventually committed to school #2 for reasons I’m not going to post here. But I suggest she compares both curriculums and research how students at each school like the program. It may be that your daughter likes what she sees at PSU vs. Rutgers. Encourage her to make a spreadsheet to compare both programs. Maybe a 2nd visit to both will help! Good luck!

Thanks for your recommendations. Will let her know.

I’m hoping some of you will humor me and share which school you’d like as a parent for S23.

The starting place for his college list was thinking he wants to study psychology in a warm-to-hot climate. He’s a hard worker but not a competitive go-getter; coming from a private HS of ~500 in TN; loves to be with his friend group and girlfriend, talk about music and movies, and walk outdoors.

The options are:
Auburn, medium merit/medium relative price
Texas A&M, high relative price
Tennessee-Knoxville, small merit/low relative price
Furman, high merit/high relative price
Florida State (summer start), medium relative price
Clemson (summer start), high relative price
Elon, small merit/high relative price

4 Likes

Tennessee
Auburn

3 Likes

Whichever one offers my kid’s field(s) of interest, is financially likely to be around for four years, and is cheapest.
money

1 Like

Holland Michigan is a great town and college campus is really nice.

I live in Michigan and our winter at Hope would be more mild than Syracuse.

1 Like

Is the cost a barrier to entry? If it is, then any other argument should take back seat.
If it is not then I’d consider fit. Elon and Furman might provide a better educational experience in lower level gen ed classes. How much support does he need? Level of motivation?

3 Likes

Furman… beautiful campus with woods and a lake to enjoy the outdoors, plus a small and supportive academic environment.

1 Like

Cost is a consideration but not a barrier to these options. Tennessee is the clear winner on cost, and it and Auburn, I think, will be popular choices among his classmates. I’ve thought about how a large public school will be more insulated from the enrollment cliff that’s coming or could have less in the way of year-over-year tuition increases than a smaller private school. But, most of all, I’m focused on where he might be best supported in being ever better as a student and person.

Furman and Elon will provide a very different experience from the large publics on his list. In general terms, LACs can provide more personal attention and support than large unis. Also having attended a private HS the experience may be more familiar. Is this something that appeals to him?

(ignored cost per OP)

4 Likes

Wow - quite a list.

I’d choose Elon - it’s gorgeous. But it’s relatively small and there’s little around from a walking POV. Then Furman…but I’m choosing based on school size.

Auburn - nice town, very clean, nice area - of the big schools you list, it’d be my preference…because it’s just aesthetically nice.

A&M is enormous - but a very nice town - and lots around.

UTK - you have city issues - homelessness, etc. but it seems real popular on the CC…not in state were most look down on it - but that seems a common issue with most states. And if he likes nature - it’s close to the Rockies.

FSU - it’s in Tallahassee - a smaller city - it has an airport if it matters - but so does UTK and A&M - all smaller airports. It’s reasonably priced - even full weight.

Clemson - not for me - but they people (tailgaters) are totally inclusive - great people. But it’s a long ways from society - and that’s not for me - but it might be for your kid.

All can work for outdoors - but if he wants to hike, etc. and do real stuff, UTK would be best.

I think the big publics are all interchangeable - meaning sure US News might show a range here - but honestly, they’re all relatively the same from a pedigree, etc. but not from a size (A&M is huge) or environment (UTK in a city/downtown, FSU close to downtown but it’s less downtown than Knoxville, A&M and AUburn are in towns, and Clemson is well…not :slight_smile:

No wrong choice here - except if a) you can’t afford it and b) he doesn’t feel comfortable.

If one stood out to him and you can afford it, that’s the right choice!!!

1 Like

I’m sorry it didn’t bring it down even more. Our son got one of these additional scholarship offers, but it was too small to make a difference. Kind of like a 10% off coupon. Grrr.

He did turn down a few schools today, anyway, because he doesn’t want to go to them anymore. Even if they offered more scholarships, I think it would just make things confusing. I had him keep several options open, but I think it felt good to shed a few. I know it’s not one in, one out, but I do hope that together with others turning down spaces, it will make a difference for waitlisted students.

5 Likes