Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 2)

I agree 100%! My daughter wasn’t seeking out a Christian school (perhaps even avoiding one?) and is very critical of the Catholic Church for many valid reasons (we are practicing Catholics but attend services with a VERY progressive priest.) But she fell in love with the community service-based, social justice, embracing ALL of God’s children vibe she got at Loyola. They warmly welcome a diverse population and are very LGBTQ-friendly, which seems to surprise some people. Maybe Jesuit schools aren’t shown enough love on CC but I’m on a few college social media sites that do talk up Jesuit schools and I’m always happy to bring the praise.

7 Likes

That’s too bad that Stockton didn’t hit for her. Did she go back for any accepted students events/are there any still happening that you could get her to? That might give her a different feel. To me, it seems like she has a lot of great acceptances from a range of school “types” - so I just wonder if her moving the bar now is a more indicative of her own ambivalence, not that she needs even more choices?

Just as all bourbons are whiskey but not all whiskeys are bourbons…

All Jesuits, Benedictines, Marianists, etc are Catholics, but all Catholics aren’t members of these individual orders or congregations. Each of them has a unique history and set of distinguishing attributes but all are founded and rooted in Catholic faith and tend to share many if not most common beliefs.

It should be noted that the approach to academics and style of teaching can be different at these schools based on founding affiliation.

Hope this helps.

16 Likes

You could be right. I think one thing she really wanted was a good college town where she could bike around and explore interesting shops. None of them really offer that unless I’m missing something. I think Hope would be the best fit but she has never visited and is having second thoughts because of the weather, etc.

Is Hope’s weather any worse than SUNY ESF’s (Syracuse) weather?

3 Likes

Havent been to Syracuse yet but i would say Hope is the same or a bit better.

Bonus of Hope is that Lake Michigan on that side is really lovely.

2 Likes

@2plustrio

Syracuse does not seem nicer than Hope. Holland, Michigan seems really nice to me. The sidewalks are heated so you can walk around town easily in the winter.

ESF only seems more geared to her interests.

1 Like

One of the things my husband, a huge fan of the Jesuits, constantly reminds me is that the Jesuits have been excommunicated by the pope three times in their history. :wink:

8 Likes

I have friends who went to Hope and now friends kid who is currently there. Super cute area!

My niece is graduating from a Philadelphia area private Jesuit HS this year and attending Clemson this fall. She is Valedictorian, SC Pres., etc. and was denied UNC-CH, her top choice. While the UNC-CH acceptance rate of white females in the Philadelphia suburbs is extremely low, our top rated public HS (where both my children graduated '21 & '22) was the winner of the white female UNC-CH acceptance this year. And my niece is thrilled for her. Once she (my niece) visited Clemson, she was sold. All good. But A+ on the HS Jesuit education, truly something special happens inside the halls.

2 Likes

Just curious who writes the LOR for transfer students?

Ideally profs at the college where you are currently enrolled. You can have a recc from the HS also if necessary. You can also have reccs from outsiders – people in the community that you worked with, internship mentors etc.

We are going through the process this year.

2 Likes

Generally a professor, if required…but many colleges don’t have an LoR requirement for transfers. LoR requirements in general seem to be decreasing for transfers (and actually incoming first years) due to equity and access issues.

Some colleges also require a school report for transfers, typically filled out by the dean of student’s office at the current college, basically confirming the student is in good standing.

4 Likes

Thanks for responding.

Doesn’t that make student look bad if transfer didn’t work out?

The current university doesn’t care. Unlike a high school, universities are very large places. There is no central authority that is keeping track and taking action against you for trying to leave. My son asked two of the profs because he has a good relationship with them, and they don’t mind. Anyway he may never take another class with them even if the transfer doesn’t work out.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying. Trying to understand the process.

1 Like

All good questions, and it makes sense to understand the process (but hopefully if you are asking about your Class of 2023 student they will go into their school this fall with full intention of giving it a good chance).

I agree with neela on the university not caring about (and many actually support) students who are considering transferring. This is just what those offices/administrators do. Generally admin want students to be happy and feel that they have a good fit, and sometimes that’s not the first school they end up at. I haven’t seen recent data on 4 year transfer rates, but I expect it’s at least 25%.

1 Like

Agree I too want my D23 select a school and stay happy there. She is very ambitious so I was just trying to understand.

Would you mind sharing what schools and reason if possible or PM me.

1 Like