Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 2)

We are having a hard time getting that answer. A parent on the CWRU Facebook page posted last year that they wouldn’t take CLEP credit for Spanish but I’m not sure why. Maybe they only take certain grades and this student didn’t make the cut? My son’s Spanish teacher thinks he has a shot a 12 credits since he’s doing the essay and feels strong enough on writing. So it would be disappointing if they don’t take them. When we asked admissions they seemed to say “maybe” so this is something we will try to ask in person on Friday.

1 Like

wait. stop. dont you lose your deposit anywhere you put down money and change your mind? And housing is refundable . . . If you want a choice of housing with the school, school rules say deposits by April 1. why would this be against the mission to serve the impoverished citizens of the state? (i’d guess this happens lots of places?)

I had to giggle. This is so my son. He will do the opposite of what I say just to prove he will be independent and do things his way. He’s been shockingly mature and making observations that show true self reflection and awareness.

Last college visit on Monday. Weather forecast shows high chance of rain. It will give him a true representation of the college at least.

6 Likes

At Alabama, you can sign up for housing starting in like November. The order you sign up in is the order you get to pick housing, including Honors housing. To sign up for housing, you have to put a non-refundable enrollment deposit. If you don’t sign up for housing (and thus enroll) by Feb 1, you don’t get to pick your housing at all in May.

At Baylor, by contrast, you can sign up for housing up until May 1, and then the choice of room is done in random order so it does not require a person to make the non-refundable deposits back in January in order to get a choice of room.

In this case, I asked the UA Director of Admissions directly if this was true because this system favors wealthier families by allowing them to reserve spots in the line months ahead of financial aid and merit decisions. He confirmed that is the system. He did not seem especially happy about it, though.

PS- Even April 1 seems bogus to me. It should be that you pay the enrollment deposit by the deadline and do housing then, too. Certainly they all have the capability of making everyone who signs up by May 1 into a random order of selection, if they wanted to.

12 Likes

I think this is the crux. S23 didn’t change his mind. The system basically forces you to enroll by Feb 1 in order to be able to choose housing in May. Otherwise, you will be randomly assigned. So many, many people go ahead and pay the enrollment (not refundable) and the housing deposit (not totally refundable) back in November so they can be first should they decide to attend.

So it’s not really about changing one’s mind at these schools. It is about paying just to hold open the possibility you might attend and not have the housing dregs. I tend to be opposed to anything happening before the May 1 deadline. Let’s just have a deadline of May 1 for all of it- housing, orientation, enrollment. I know it is a marketing and yield issue for the colleges, though.

8 Likes

Other people have answered this, but I’ll add that even at places where the housing deposit is refundable, it’s nearly always only sorta refundable—there’s almost always a “processing fee” or such that gets held back. And for a very poor family that’s running close to the edge of their budget, losing $50 or $100 isn’t negligible, especially since it’s adding insult to injury when it’s combined with having to submit a nonrefundable enrollment deposit just to get on the housing list.

10 Likes

My D is probably going to Seattle U. They don’t take housing deposits/applications until May 4 and accept until June 1 without a real preference for submitting early. Housing guaranteed for Frosh and Soph (notable in Seattle as it is a tough housing/apartment market).
Really frustrating for those who have had to make deposits before needing to make a decision.

8 Likes

Nice to know there is hope, @sursumcorda, for a child frozen in the decision process.

23 does not seem to have strong feelings for any school. Over the last few months, they have said different schools are their #1. They also said they could go to X school for free, study in a well regarded program, and play their sport. I remember how excited they seemed as they imagined the situation, yet that was weeks ago.

A while ago, I suggested making a chart and 23 didn’t seem that interested. I might make one for them now and see if it helps.

Several people here mentioned becoming empty nesters this fall. Same!

A few of you mentioned taking trips. That’s what we’re doing. We’re taking a two-week trip in the fall after 23 is off to school. I really wanted to be OUT of the house for part of the transition time. I figured the new location would not stir up so many memories as our house would.

6 Likes

ok - understand your thoughts, but i’ll add just one more thing before i hit the hay - and that is that Bama is incredibly generous to those in state and out of state; and guarantees housing for all freshmen. The school just doesnt guarantee a roomate choice after april 1; so loosing a deposit seems like small potatoes compared to the gift aid the school gives to kiddos! (and i will add my D23 is not going there, and we recently requested a housing deposit refund; but her state school also had a priority deadline for housing of april 5th). Ok . that is all. carry on. :zzz:

5 Likes

Anyone else struggling with letting schools go? My daughter got into 6 schools and we are going to 3 admitted student days, but there’s nothing wrong with the 3 we are not visiting - and two gave her a ton of merit aid. I know she doesn’t want to go to any of these “rejects” but I can’t break up with them!

13 Likes

Well the reality is if you are admitted to more than one, there’s going to be a break up.

Set your budget parameter (up front hopefully) and as long as the final choice meets it, be happy !!

It’s all you can do.

Best of luck to her.

3 Likes

I’m really happy his work was rewarded when he didn’t let go of Case. Regardless of his decision, that’s awesome! I’m following his story and rooting for him to get the best possible outcome for you all.

Spanish is the next hurdle to understand for us. I don’t know the options and the pros and cons of trying to get credits. I have a bilingual kid who will be in a time consuming music major but who wants to speak Spanish when possible. He just really loves it. He’s in AP Spanish Language and Culture now.

6 Likes

Yes. I unfollowed a few schools on instagram yesterday and was sad to say goodbye! I really liked all of the schools she applied to, saw good things everywhere. My favorite was not the chosen school…I will move on but am a little sad about it.

10 Likes

Yes we too are in similar situation.

2 Likes

TOTALLY! Being a music major my son has had to audition and often interview with the direct professors he would be taught by. He has visited his final schools. Its so hard turning down schools that have really put in “effort” to “recruit” my son.

5 Likes

Thank you so much! Yes, my son really wants to practice his Spanish in college, beyond just taking classes. U Albany had some active groups who have gatherings where everyone speaks Spanish and I think they even have housing options with international students for language and cultural activities. Barry in Miami was amazing in that almost 30% of the students were Hispanic and everyone in Miami seems to speak Spanish on the streets. I guess Case Western is pretty diverse for an Ohio school but not sure he’ll get that cultural piece there. We can ask more when we visit tomorrow. Maybe he can request an international roommate from a Spanish-speaking country or something? I know I should be thrilled that Case Western has come into focus as a realistic choice (and lots to love about it) but I find myself fixated on the negative reviews regarding things like housing, food, advisors (sounds like they have to really advocate for themselves and sometimes hard to connect with advisors whereas the honors students were so close with advisors at U Albany, etc.) Having said that, I think my son is willing to overlook certain perks at other colleges to be a part of such an esteemed university with the rigor he has been seeking, and thinks it’s a good thing they force them to be more independent, so it’s probably just a mom thing. My husband seems to be 100% on board with CWRU. I’m keeping my opinions to myself other than to encourage him to keep an open mind and write out pros and cons for the schools he would still consider. He recently said he thinks a Florida school is too far, but he was selected for the Bonner Leaders program at Rollins (an extra $3k per year) so thinking he should still keep in consideration. Then again, I’m thrilled Cleveland is only 3 hours away by car! I think it’s just an emotional time for me as we end this college search journey and prep for our empty nester time and I am in worry overload, being a Mama Bear when it’s probably not even needed, he seems to be doing just fine and on the verge of choosing his college home, given many great choices.

4 Likes

Yep… it is hard to say goodbye and close the door on some of these schools. I think it is proof of a great college list!

5 Likes

Absolutely; even though I’m thrilled with my son’s choice (and so is he!), there was another college that I really liked and we both could see him there if he hadn’t made the ED choice that he did.

I was a little sad pressing the button to unsubscribe from their emails and to stop seeing their instagram posts (I feel so silly writing that out!), but I think a big part of that was that it was another step forward, and another piece of finality in this process.

It’s all: I’m one step closer to him leaving. :sob:

10 Likes

I really enjoy all those “student takeover” instagram posts and I’m going to miss them - when I eventually stop following all the schools my daughter isn’t attending.

1 Like