Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 2)

I’m over here trying to figure out what warm clothes my kid will need for Berkeley! :joy::joy::joy: It is much colder there than in Southern California, for the record.

3 Likes

Flannel shirt?
:rofl:

2 Likes

I mean, maybe that and a beanie???

2 Likes

We did see a prospective student from New York at Seattle U admitted student days! They exist!

3 Likes

Here’s a place to start:

REI has their anniversary sale in May, and Moosejaw typically will do a sale at the same time; buying winter clothes in spring and early summer will be typically less expensive than waiting until fall.

Here’s another good resource article to help you know what to look for and how to decide between say parkas or layering systems like hard shells, etc.:

Don’t forget boots!

4 Likes

May is the REI anniversary sale, and other outdoor retailers typically will do a sale at the same time (Moosejaw is a good place to check; they were offering 20% off on items last month during REI’s member coupon days).

3 Likes

We live in Berkeley and I have never been able to get either of my kids to wear any warm clothes on a regular school day in any weather. The most I have ever seen my daughter wear to school is a t-shirt over a long sleeved shirt. My son will sometimes wear a very light jacket.

They do have warm things that they take if they are going on an outdoorsy trip somewhere. Like camping. Or if they are going to do something in San Francisco… it can get pretty chilly over there :rofl:

1 Like

My son has never once worn a jacket, or even a hoodie, to school… but, this is Los Angeles. It’s over 100 degrees all summer. He wears uniforms now, so I’m starting from scratch. He can’t wear one Cal hoodie everyday :joy:

1 Like

I was in Southern California this past weekend. It was colder there than in northern california

1 Like

Switch it up, get a Cal hoodie with a different color.
Honestly, they will wear those things until they’re rags.

I send my kids to school (NE PA and WV) with heavy coats every winter and they just sit in their closets (the coats, not the kids, lol).

If there is not a blizzard outside they will not put on more than a hoodie.

7 Likes

We’ve had an absolutely miserable, cold, wet, winter. I’ve been cold since December.

1 Like

You should move to the northeast. NJ had an 89 high last week on one of the days

1 Like

Lol! I think I’ll stick it out, but I hope this winter isn’t a harbinger of things to come. I mean, who wants to wear a cardigan from November to May? :joy:

2 Likes

Wonder how their watch counts those steps - will the counter run backwards too?

I know some of you all are coming from warm climates, but Rhode Island just isn’t that cold and kids just don’t wear winter gear (anywhere, I don’t have any particular knowledge of RI). I wouldn’t spend a lot of money on winter gear until you get asked for it - or until you know that the kid will wear it. My kid - who admittedly grew up in a cold place - didn’t wear a winter coat most of high school and neither did any of the other kids. This year, since they are walking around campus more (but she’s in a somewhat warmer place, but still winter) finally bought herself a men’s jacket from Goodwill. It’s not down, it’s not long, but it seemed good enough. She did wear a scarf this year - go figure - but I don’t think she even brought gloves or a hat with her to college (pretty sure I tried to get her to bring some after winter break & she refused). The only boots she owns are Doc Martens. I’m just saying, don’t spend the money until you have to unless you know she’s going to be skiing or ice-skating or some other outdoor winter activity on a regular basis. Coats go on sale pretty early in the season and she won’t freeze before they do.

7 Likes

@socalmom007 my oldest D lives in San Diego. I have a kid in college in NY, another in Cincinnati and we live in MD. I’m always comparing the weather in all four places. With few exceptions, the past two months the weather has been similar in all four cities. In fact, there have been several days in recent weeks where it was warmer here in MD than in San Diego, including right now. Every day this week it will be warmer here than in San Diego. It has really been a wet, dreary few months for my daughter in San Diego.

Now to keep on topic for this thread :slightly_smiling_face:, D23 is headed to Chicago for college. She will definitely be needing a winter coat. She doesn’t own one since she is rarely outside long enough here to need one when it’s cold here. However, she will definitely need one there as she will be walking everywhere.

6 Likes

Layers. Many layers! It was cold and windy here today. But as the saying goes, “if you don’t like the weather (in SF), just wait a minute!”

Have lots of layers that can easily come on or off, maybe to be tied around the waist.

3 Likes

For those who don’t live in cold areas, this is the constant refrain of all parents who do (hopefully the link works): "This Is A Coat" - Original Song - YouTube

4 Likes

Sounds perfect!

1 Like

Good points all about RI - my daughter is cold all the time except in mid summer. She already has a short puffer so maybe we’ll start with that and see if she needs more. Ironically she does plan on skating outdoors as much as possible it’s one of her favorite things :slight_smile: