Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 2)

Some of this, “I’ve never heard of (insert X school)” reminds me of the apocryphal quote from the NY Times columnist after Nixon won in a landslide, “Well, I don’t know anyone who voted for him.”

All of us only know the schools we know. And unless we take the time to learn about more schools that just the ones we are interested in…us knowing/not knowing any particular school pretty non-meaningful.

9 Likes

Deleted

And wool socks. They say “cotton kills”.

4 Likes

Seriously I have never heard of this. The most I’ve head is maybe graduated Magna cum laude from XXX University.

But then I’m from the west coast so . . . .

Yes. Darn Tough socks are good, as are smart wool socks. Both have fairly good sales pretty regularly. 2-3 pairs would be plenty.

Wondering the same for a girl. The two things I know for sure are LONG black puffer coat. And waterproof but cute shoes. I’ve told her to wait and see what others wear for shoes when she gets there but I’m wondering if I can get a deal on a coat this time of year and what brand I can get away (i.e. not the $2000 brand)

1 Like

There is a shuttle van that runs from main campus UCSD down to Scripps Oceanography, which is indeed right on the beach, no cliff climbing needed! There is a wonderful wide sand beach there, but also tide pools and interesting rock formations!

3 Likes

We love Smartwool socks in our house. Or similar knockoffs.

2 Likes

Aritzia has nice/stylish down jackets/coats. Not sure they ever go on sale, but maybe worth the investment for 4 years?

2 Likes

For college in Maine, NH, or VT – a Skida hat and neck warmer. Beautiful patterns and so comfortable. The company was founded by a Middlebury grad.

3 Likes

I no longer live in the north, but my spouse’s family lives in Michigan. In preparation for our trip in early February I bought a coat from Lands’ End that kept me nice and warm. Lands’ End has a classification of warm/warmer/warmest and I’m 95% sure that the one I bought was part of the warmest collection. Lands’ End pretty much always has a sale going on.

6 Likes

IMO she won’t need too much “heavy gear” in RI. I live about 45 minutes NW of Kingston and I almost never need my heavy coat (that was a daily requirement in Chicago in winter).

(Granted, I’m not a college student who has to get everywhere by walking anymore. But in the seven years we have lived here, I have literally only worn my heavy coat when shoveling snow, and of the 10 times I’ve worn it, at least half of them it was too heavy. It is actually the same coat I bought 25 years ago when I was a college student in Boston. Even then, it was often more than I really needed, but I liked it because of its water repellent properties.)

3 Likes

North face is pretty ubiquitous if you aren’t going the Canada Goose route. Nordstrom usually has some north face puffers on sale this time of year. My oldest went with Eddie Bauer micro puffer than she found on their resale site, good quality that was super cheap (they sell the gear they’ve rented out, so it is very gently used -basically like new but can be 70% off). Super light weight but also super warm.

D23 swears by her SuperDry long puffer. Not too pricey, Japanese brand, fits her perfectly (she is a tiny 5’).

Boots - some swear by the LLBean duck boots, some like the Hunters, I agree she should wait to figure out what shoes others are wearing.

4 Likes

Yes. The UVM admissions department controls the weather, I hear. I saw the NWS office.

:wink:

3 Likes

I like Title Nine and bought a puffer coat on sale there a few months ago.

2 Likes

My spouse swears by her Skhoop skirt.

4 Likes

Mike Leach was a personal hero of mine through the decades, so even I will ring a cowbell for him during the season this fall. RIP. It’s still shocking.

And I was just kidding about Mississippi State. I mean, no, the cowbells should be banned, but I was kidding about it being the worst. We all know that’s Auburn. :grin:

3 Likes

LL Bean makes a long down coat and the Bean Boot. That coupled with smart wool or darn tough socks and some layers should do the trick. Obviously if there are any outdoor activities planned, long underwear, snow or rain pants, and fleece with a nylon shell.

Yaktrax for shoes can help if ice is an issue.

2 Likes

Oh heck yeah, I can’t wait! Take pix because apparently my idiot menfolk took NONE.

2 Likes

We have a good friend who lives in Vermont, who describes it as 9 months of great skiing and 3 months of lousy skiing.

2 Likes