Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 2)

I know one of the associate deans for the LSU Honors College, and she is fantastic, so I imagine the program is very good.
I would try to get there for a visit with a talk with someone in Honors.
And congratulations!

1 Like

Oops! I meant flying into NO from either Philly or Newark and then renting a car to head to Baton Rouge.

I go for work all the time. The advantage of New Orleans is you’re not on a tiny plane that’s constantly hitting the wind. The disadvantage is that they have a new airport and must have hired the worst engineers. The lay out stinks and while the rental cars are close, they didn’t build a road to the facility so it’s a 20 minute drive. The good news though is you are clear West of the city, enroute to LSU (about an hour).

Not sure when you are going but if you drive a bit farther (BWI) you can go non-stop on Southwest. And if you’re a real risk taker, I know Spirit Airlines flies there - if you pack light I suppose, you can save.

Best of luck.

4 Likes

Don’t fly Spirit. Just don’t.
@MACmiracle - few direct flights from our area; we just did that trip and had to change in Charlotte. It wasn’t so bad; Charlotte is easy as far as hub airports go.

4 Likes

I never have - but they go to MSY.

I actually checked Laguardia since Newark was mentioned. Non stops and cheaper depending on the day - but just over $200 each way - on Jet Blue

We did a Tulane / LSU trip. Daughter loved LSU - it’s quite nice - not huge but nice. She did not like Tulane at all - thought was run down. Didn’t end up applying to either.

Go figure.

3 Likes

We’re in south Jersey so LaGuardia isn’t the easiest trip and could add a lot to the travel.

2 Likes

oh - ok - i saw Newark and they’re not that far.

Yeah, it’ll be tough then - but on the flip side, what you waste in stops, you could save in non-stop. And the fares were cheaper.

You could fly to Houston (on Southwest) and drive 4 hours 15 instead of one?? Or on other airlines - but the prices aren’t good.

Last minute is tough. Sorry.

Road trip?? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

D has an old friend visiting this week which makes it a little awkward. I wonder how her friend and her friend’s family would feel about me putting everyone in the car and heading south. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Spirit flys from Atlantic City to NO non-stop. I’d look at that. Spirit is no worse than any other US airline and seems to have had less meltdowns than Southwest lately. Let’s face it all US Airlines are crap.

7 Likes

We have flown from NOLA on Spirit twice this year so far. Nice, new planes and no delays. Just don’t expect anything free - no drinks, snacks etc. We have had issues with the NOLA security lines being long and slow, so make sure to leave enough time for that.

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought of AC airport. Thank you!

3 Likes

I can’t remember if you felt the programs are strong in Florida. I wouldn’t underestimate the power of weather and location. I also understand that the programs at Syracuse sound really strong, with clear opportunities to perform. It’s hard.

I say go for it! It will be a fun adventure and memory whatever happens!

6 Likes

On a map maybe, but getting to LaGuardia means crossing into and out of NYC and that can be a huge hassle and take forever at the wrong times. Years ago we used to go to whichever tristate airport was the cheapest. After being burned a few times, we started only doing it if it was at least $300 cheaper (our time and sanity before or after a long flight are worth at least that). Now I don’t even check, except on super expensive international flights when we also cross check JFK.

3 Likes

It seems once you get to school, the name won’t matter as much as the programs, people and place (unless the name will make a difference for his future career). Does Syracuse seem like a better music program? I’ve seen many parents and kids here on CC struggling with making school choices that extended family and friends might not understand. He might have to deal with that if he chooses a lesser known school, but I’m sure he can handle it.

1 Like

Well it was $100+ cheaper going down (didn’t check coming back) and non-stop - if that helps OP.

If not, it’s ok too - i hope they get there.

2 Likes

I actually left a job years ago because they wanted me to fly in/out of JFK or LGA instead of Newark. The travel agent said “It’s only 17 miles from your house, it’s the company policy
” and I told her it’s 17 miles but two hours and white knuckle drive.

8 Likes

I think it depends on time of day.

I’ve done Lagurdia from North Jersey without issue.

In fact, my current company interviewed me in North Jersey - and flew me out of Laguardia and I was thinking all this and was surprised at jhow easy.

Nonetheless the two hours extra might be worth it for the lower fare and non-stop. That’s up to OP.

But just a thought.

Looking at Amtrak and Greyhound. :rofl:

4 Likes

Actually, we had a fantastic train ride to NOLA all the way from the PNW. The train is wonderful!

8 Likes