Party Scene - should I be worried?

<p>I really wasn't looking to go to Madison when I applied, just thought i'd send in an application to another good safety-target school that was well regarded and close by. Unfortunately, I ended up not getting into any of my reaches (some ivies + schools along the lines of Northwestern, UChicago). Really wasn't looking forward to visiting the school and choosing between it and another I didn't seem to like very much, Brandeis. I drove to Madison, took a tour, walked around, saw the Capital and campus etc. etc. and ended up loving it. It looks like an awesome place to study and be for four years. When I talked to a few friends about it, though, the large party scene seemed to come up. The thing is, I definitely want to have fun in college, and will probably love the Madison atmosphere, but really do not want to get sucked into that social atmosphere too much. I would really like to be around kids that are smart & driven and going for that 4.0, etc. I know that those kids exist at Madison, but are they hard to find? Is it easy to get sucked into that social and party atmosphere at the University? Are there any recommendations you guys can make to me in terms of how I can put myself in the best position for doing well at the school and not getting to sucked into that scene? Any Dorm Recommendations? Any other general comments about it? Should I take another look at Brandeis even though it has little school spirit, won't be as fun, and has bad programs for what I do because it is a more intellectual atmosphere and (in some cases) more highly regarded?</p>

<p>I’m not sure if this will help or not but I’m looking to do the Business program. I know that an application is necessary to get in, so are the kids in the B-School usually more driven/ focused on doing well?</p>

<p>Dorm suggestion: live in Chadbourne, rank it first on your list, choose the Learning Community aspect (extra $300 fee) and you will get to choose your own room (hurry).</p>

<p>Chad is across University Avenue from the Wisconsin School of Business. </p>

<p>[Chadbourne</a> | University Housing at UW-Madison](<a href=“http://www.housing.wisc.edu/chadbourne]Chadbourne”>http://www.housing.wisc.edu/chadbourne)</p>

<p>[CRC</a> | University Housing at UW-Madison](<a href=“http://www.housing.wisc.edu/crc]CRC”>http://www.housing.wisc.edu/crc)</p>

<p>You can’t screw up your first semester and plan to get admitted to the Business School, so I’d say the kids who are serious about getting admitted need to be focused (3.5 GPA at UW) and get involved (join Badger Business Buddies or the B School fraternity, for example). You apply by April 1st of your 2nd semester freshman year (if you will have completed 24 credits on campus and the four required pre-business courses).</p>

<p>If you don’t want to be a part of the party scene, you don’t have to be. If you’re worried about having a quieter study environment though pick a lakeshore dorm, like Adams.</p>

<p>Also, Madison is a good school (obviously) and lots of people, even those who party, are extremely driven. Even the biggest partiers I know study quite hard Sunday to at least Wednesday, and are very smart - you have to be in order to get in here! My friends are all extremely driven people and they still party quite a lot, the two things aren’t mutually exclusive. You can live in a quieter dorm if you want though, that might help. Chadbourne is probably your best bet if you want to live in the Southeast area, and other than that any Lakeshore dorm would be quieter. Don’t worry about getting “sucked” into it though, it’s not that big of a deal. Yes, a lot of people around you will be partying, but there’s no pressure or anything, people don’t care if you don’t want to party.</p>

<p>OP, I think you’re going to get the best of both worlds in Madison. What others have said about Chad or maybe the Lakeshore dorms is good advice, but what my D has told me that is key is finding a productive place to study, which is different for everybody. Your room, a library, one of the many State St. coffeehouses, or in nice weather Bascom Hill or the Union Terrace. Or all of them. Hammer down, don’t fall behind & you’ll be fine.</p>

<p>It won’t be a problem. It’s a big place and you’ll find your niche and find that you’re not alone in it – even if that means you intend to be in the library some Friday and Saturday nights.</p>

<p>Chances are very good that in a year or two you are going to be thankful you didn’t get in to those top schools, because there’s just not much better than being an undergrad in Madison at the UW. You’ll get a great education and the lifestyle and social opportunities will be terrific.</p>

<p>Only live in Chad if you like it. There are plenty of other dorms you may prefer (I get annoyed with Chad being the answer to all dorm questions- it is NOT the dorm of preference for everyone, it is just as good as but not any better than any others).</p>

<p>You need to consider what atmosphere you want to come home to in your dorm choice. For some destressing works best in the city- Southeast dorms and for others the more suburban- Lakeshore setting. Some look forward to being closer to State St and others Picnic Point for a quick walk to get away, alone or with others. </p>

<p>You can be as quiet or social as you want to be in any dorm. The Honors program does not have any special housing- those students are to be found all over campus. Typically in any dorm students will study during the week and some may party on the weekend. Those in business are no more focused than most other students- there are more and less serious students in any proposed major (business majors may need to spend more time studying in a math class than the math majors, but that doesn’t make them more studious).</p>

<p>Relax and look forward to UW. There are plenty of many types of people so you will discover those with similar interests and study habits.</p>

<p>everyone here is smart and parties</p>