So, chadbourne...

So I just signed up for a room in Chadbourne in madison and now I’m really regretting it… I wanted to stay in southeast because I want to go to parties and have an active social life but I wanted to stay away from witte and sellery because I’d like to be able to go to sleep before 3 am on a weekend night if I need to. So I thought chadbourne would be a nice mix of chill and party with it being on the edge of southeast and all. But now I’m hearing a ton of people say that everyone in chadbourne are super awkward introverts who have no interest in any social life outside of whatever learning community activities there are… is this just a stereotype or did I just doom my social life by signing up for chadbourne? Will there be at least some people who I can actually go out and party with and whatnot? Or am I going to spend my first year living only with people who study for fun?

That’s just a stereotype. The social aspect will probably vary depending on what floor you are in, but it should be a good mix.

Relax and don’t worry about it at all. You state wanting a more quiet environment and that works. There is nothing wrong with having friends who live in other dorms, you are not at all restricted to the dorm you live in. Rumors will fly. Ignore them.

I’d call that a very silly theory.

LOL - we just toured Chadbourne and Sellery a while ago and don’t believe the stereotypes. There are academic students who like sleep in Sellery. There are social and outgoing students who live in Chadbourne. The population changes in full from year to year anyway so no one can predict exact vibe. It’s win-win wherever you live.

ETA - my geeky academic not likely to drink or party kid chose a LC in Sellery.

My daughter just finished her first year and lived in Sellery. All the kids study a lot it seems. I think in Sellery and Witte the kids may spend more time going out to party when they have down time versus other things the school and Madison has to offer. She is from san diego and does not want to come home. Loves every aspect of it and we live in San Diego! She already told me she wants to spend next summer there.

@rogerman1 Yup, get used to them not wanting to come home! At graduation, my kid’s social media post was something like "they never told me I’d have to leave . . . "

But to the OP, Chad is great, at over 500 students, there won’t be a single kind of student, and its convenient location, with small dining hall on site, makes it ideal for a lot of kids.

The only bad thing about Chadbourne is that it is the smallest dorm room size on Campus. The students there are all super nice, there are defintely some normal ones, but there are going to be awkward people in whatever dorm you are in. Just because you live in Chadbourne doesn’t mean you can’t make friends and go out with people in Witte and Sellery.