Party school?

<p>Is TCU a party school? Someone told me it was, I visited the campus and i did not see any evidence of it. Insight anyone?</p>

<p>Bump bump .. .</p>

<p>Ummm.... yes and no....</p>

<p>They like to say it's not a big greek school, but it is. Then, there are all the greek-related parties/mixers. (You can be successful and happy not being greek.)</p>

<p>Things may have changed since I went there, but from what I hear not much -- it's got great parties constantly, but unlike traditional "party schools" - you are aren't usually made to feel guilty or pressured into going to parties if you say "I have to study." You won't be the only one studying on a Thursday night. In fact, studying is valued at TCU. </p>

<p>I always thought it had the social when I needed the social and the academics when I was wanting to be engrossed there.</p>

So I got full tuition scholarship at TCU, but I don’t like partying and I’m not going to go greek or anything.

Do you guys think I won’t fit?

We have friends at TCU that are very social but chose not to go greek because they wanted to concentrate on academics. They have often been included in greek parties and have been invited to sorority formals. They say their social life has not suffered at all. They did however rush so they met many of the greek guys at the beginning of school just didn’t end up joining.

I too received a full tuition scholarship (you living in Milton?? So fun!), and though I’ve only been a horned frog for one year now, I can say with confidence that you will be fine. I am not in a panhellenic sorority, nor have I ever gone to sorority/frat parties. I was very worried about my social life as well, especially since so many people talk about TCU being greek-centered and a party school. The truth is, it took me about a semester to feel like I’d really made solid friendships, and it was hard at first. But I don’t think that’s because TCU is a party school, I think that’s because I didn’t know anyone and friendships take time. However, I was able to have a wonderful social life with wonderful people without ever attending a party or drinking.

When I looked at TCU many moons ago I was worried that I would have trouble making friends if I didn’t go Greek but that was far from the case. There’s tons of groups to join that socialize and have fun that aren’t Greek. When I was there I joined Alpha Phi Omega, a coed service fraternity and ended up meeting my husband at one of their unofficial parties. I know several current and recently graduated students who say it’s still the same way. There’s plenty of partying to do outside of the Greek scene if you want to but there’s not pressure to party if you don’t want to.