Student Life (Greek Life Question)

<p>Hello-</p>

<p>I have been admitted to the TCU Honors college, and TCU is shaping up to be one of my top college choices (along with UNC-Chapel Hill). I like TCU the most, but I am concerned about the student life there. I am not interested in going greek. Will I be left out of the social circles at TCU? (I am not a huge partier, but I like to have fun)</p>

<p>Any help would be appreciated!!!</p>

<p>Classof2015, my son’s been admitted to the School of Music, and I’ve heard that certain departments are pretty close knit (like that one). My son as well is fairly quiet although he’s got a lot of friends…he’s not been the “partying” kind and, honestly, I’d be surprised if he becomes that way. Nonetheless, the TCU SoM students he’s met have been nothing short of wonderful (if it weren’t that way I’d stay quiet) so that heartens me.</p>

<p>Classof2015: I would say that Chapel Hill and TCU are pretty similar socially. Both schools are heavy Greek but if you don’t go Greek, I don’t think it’s a dealbreaker. Really though – they are extremely similar along the southern social line.</p>

<p>TCU is something like 30% greek. My son did not pledge, is a partier and LOVES the school. He’s a senior graduating in May. He says his first year was a little rough socially as he was not allowed into greek parties. His jr./sr years it didn’t matter. All his friends that were greek have dropped it - too much time and money and they are just over it. Greek parties are not the only social scene. Fri/Sat nights in downtown FW are packed with students, live bands, outside when the weather is nice.</p>

<p>Classof2015,
I just read that you were accepted into the honors college. I don’t know what UNC offered you but wow, the honors program at TCU is incredible! Go on the Frog honors camp (it’s in Rome) - you’ll meet others. There are tons of trips with amazing profs AND you get credit for going. You register first for classes, take really cool, discussion-based courses that all students would love. You’ll be in the honor’s dorm - really nice - and that will start your social group.</p>

<p>Class of 2015: My son also is in the Honors College. From what I understand, that in itself is a “group” to hang with. My son may or may not pledge…</p>

<p>I think your son might be surprised if he rushes. What he should do is sign up for rush at the beginning of the summer and attend fraternity events over the summer and as school approaches. Events range from Texas Rangers baseball games to golfing to parties to lunches/dinners. I wasn’t planning on going greek and fell in love with it. Same with a ton of other people I know. Formal rush is only the first week of school, and if he doesn’t like it then he doesn’t pledge a fraternity. He could also look into BYX if he doesn’t drink, which is a Christian fraternity/club. Coming to tcu and not going greek isn’t bad, but if you’re a dude it’s certainly worse than if you’re a girl</p>

<p>I noticed you all posted alot of feedback on fraternities at TCU, but what about sororities? Is it fairly the same or different? Is it harder? Is it much like the greek stereotypes you hear about sororities? And also is the cost extra than normal tuition costs? Is there more involvement among sororities than fraternities? And how’s the social scene for someone who isn’t in one? Will they still have a good first year? Is there a vast difference among students in sororities than ones who aren’t in them? What’s rush like? What kind of candidate do most look for?</p>

<p>Sorority rush is competitive and it starts in the fall, a few days before school begins. There are no optional summer events, like there are for guys. The costs for dues for each sorority vary. TCU usually puts up information about fall recruitment sometime in the spring. This year ~800 girls went through recruitment, but not all received a bid (some dropped and some were released from the process).</p>