Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

What is considered “very high stat” for Penn State? Is it SAT or GPA or both? Thanks

Very high stats would be well over the middle 50% for both SAT (if submitted) and GPA. You can see the middle 50% here:

1 Like

for what term? Maybe Spring 2023 are going out now, but I do not for one second think anybody is getting a UP Fall offer yet. Commonwealth campuses, maybe.

I can’t find that fb page?

I just saw two posts of acceptances (parent posts about their kids) on PSU Facebook pages, both were for Harrisburg campus. Just fyi.

1 Like

Do you know, was that their first choice campus location?

It almost certainly was. They have not started releasing decisions for UP yet so no one would have been deferred yet. Oct is a very normal time for commonwealth campus decisions though

1 Like

They didn’t say in their post but they must have applied direct to that campus. Can’t imagine that they applied to UP and already received admit to a commonwealth.

1 Like

Did anyone send in more than one set of ACT scores? I know Penn State says it doesn’t superscore, so my daughter initially just sent in the higher composite of the two test scores. But now I am wondering if we should just go ahead and send the second ACT score as well. The math score is 3 points higher on the test she didn’t submit. Even if they don’t officially consider it, they may still look at it. Any advice?

1 Like

They don’t superscore - so they will only look at the highest composite score and will disregard any other test scores.
What major did she apply for - and what was the difference in overall ACT scores. Is it a math heavy major?

Can anyone advise about saying yes/no to considering the summer session? If you say yes to summer does that increase your chances of acceptance?

Yes, it increases your chance of acceptance, but if you are accepted to summer, you would have to start in summer. You won’t be able to change it to a fall acceptance. They will consider you first for fall and only consider you for summer if you were denied fall. If you don’t put summer, and you are denied fall at UP, they will offer you a commonwealth.

3 Likes

She is applying to health and human development - undecided. Overall composite ACT score was 31 (Reading 33, English 32, Science 34, Math 26). But earlier ACT was a composite 30 with a 29 Math. Superscore to a 32, but aware this doesn’t matter for Penn State. Currently getting an A in Calculus, but Geometry online during the pandemic seems to be the problem with the ACT scores!

Her math ACT score will be irrelevant for HHD. I wouldn’t worry about it at all and just keep the scores you have sent in. A 31 ACT puts her smack in the middle of the middle 50% and that’s not bad for HHD.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I know EA decisions come out on 12/24, but when is realistic to start hearing decisions for University Park? If you applied early in the process, should you expect to hear earlier? Thanks

1 Like

Decisions are released BY Dec 24th, not ON Dec 24th. So if you applied EA, you will hear by Dec 24.
Penn State admissions are not first in, first out. The decisions have always been random so don’t panic if you see people posting acceptances for people who applied after you. It means nothing. Penn State decisions do not come out by major, by state, or by any other measure that anyone has been able to figure out. They are truly random due to the many steps and many people involved in funneling the applications around.

Just know -you will hear by Dec 24. Otherwise, no promises and no discernable order.

5 Likes

Are applicants submitting both the optional Common App essay and the optional Penn State Personal Statement? I get submitting optional essays, but if both are optional, should both be submitted? [Obviously I am tired of reading supplemental essays at this point - but will absolutely do it if both are suggested]

According to an admissions officer that hosted an information night that we attended, the essays will not be read…I wonder why they even have them. :frowning:

3 Likes

Seriously? Two optional and they aren’t going to read either? Maybe they won’t read them, but will check the box if they are done :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes