Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

is everyone getting accepted so far for Smeal?

I saw one engineering and a science? But all seem to be instate correct?

Are there separate decision threads for schools? Or do they get added into the discussion threads?

Oops I just answered my own question but can’t see how to delete my post. Sorry.

Thank you. I would be happy to post in the decision thread if you could point me to the thread. Tried to search, apologies but this site confuses me.

@jdmccon

Yes! I currently have two boys at psu. The first applied architecture and was denied. He then called and switched to dus and got in UP 24 hours later. He now found his niche and is majoring in physics. My other son contacted his regional advisor about his app and his regional advisor told him he would have a better chance getting in dus than business. He got in dus at UP and is taking classes in business. He needs to keep a 3.2… just like business majors to get into the business major. Two things i learned:

1. Apply dus because u can still get into most majors as long as u have the right gpa and they are not locked majors.
  2. Contact your regional advisor. They are a big help! It also puts your name and app in front of them prior to you being considered.
3 Likes

Hi- can you share any information about locked majors? I hadn’t heard that switching from DUS into Smeal would prevent you from any major, assuming you have the right GPA and requirements.

Can we change major when we submitted already?

My younger son did. He contacted his regional admissions advisor.

1 Like

Generally, you can enter into any major from DUS.

random info:

• for example, you cannot go Engineering => business (Smeal). You have to spend a semester in DUS first.

• any business class (Smeal) ETM (entrance to major) classes can be taken if you are PMAJ-BUS (pre-major Business) or PMAJ-DUS (pre-major DUS). You cannot take business ETM classes if you are in Engineering or IST or Science (Eberly), for example.

• the most popular major that is direct entry - and cannot be entered from DUS - is nursing. and extremely competitive. There are others - for example, the PGM (professional golf management) major - which also requires a specific handicap.

• majors that are “controlled” have a gpa and ETM (entrance to major) requirement. These include the most common majors in Smeal (finance, accounting, supply chain, marketing). These include most engineering majors, IST, Advertising/PR. Not an all-inclusive list, but a guideline.

if you want to learn more about the majors, google “Penn State Smeal entrance to major” or whatever. or look at “recommended academic plan” with Penn State and proposed major. (it might be “suggested” academic plan - I think they changed the wording, but don’t remember which is the most up to date).

I’m not sure exactly what is meant by “locked” majors - the Penn State wording is “controlled” majors. Or enrollment controlled. I’m assuming what I am called “controlled” is what is meant by “locked”.

1 Like

I don’t know exactly which majors are locked. The forum advisor might be able to tell you more.

Hey can tell me how you found out the contact info for your regional advisor?

1 Like

What is DUS?

does anyone know when acceptances will start coming out more?

Division of Undergraduate Studies. It’s basically undecided major.

1 Like

They will continue to drop decisions from now on to Dec 24. We learned from the school that decisions are uploaded and portals are updated twice a day - at noon and at midnight. Also, only approximately 200 decisions have been rolled out thus far, so we’re in the very early stages. Based on prior years, and what we heard recently from the school, the bulk of decisions will be toward the end of Nov to early/mid Dec.

5 Likes

thank you so much for the info!

1 Like

Thanks to you and @Mycold for this info. It is consistent with what I have read as well. I was just nervous when I heard that some Smeal majors would not be open to DUS students.

There are no “locked” majors at Penn State. I’m not sure what that means. There are enrollment controlled majors and direct entry majors and non enrollment controlled majors.

Keep in mind that other than direct entry majors, NO ONE at Penn State is in a major until after they complete the entry to major requirements. Even if someone is accepted into Engineering as a freshman admit, what they have really been admitted to is Engineering Pre Major (PMAJ-Engineering) and they will need to complete entry to major requirements during their first two years to get into a major. DUS (undecided) majors can also work on those same entry to major requirements and apply for the major at the same time as Pre Majors.

Enrollment Controlled Majors : There will be majors where there are more people wanting to get in than they have space for. So there will be Entry To Major (ETM) requirements of both classes and GPA. For example, Finance has a 3.5 GPA to get in after taking a list of classes. After the ETM’s are completed, you can apply for the major. You can apply from either the Pre Major or from DUS.

Direct Entry Majors: These are majors for which a Pre Major does not exist. You must be accepted as a freshman and you cannot transfer into the program. You can find the complete list of Direct Entry majors here: Direct Admit Majors | Penn State

Not Controlled Majors: These are majors for which there is plenty of space so the requirements to get into the major will be more easily obtained. They usually have a GPA requirement of 2.0 and possibly a few ETM classes to be completed. But in general, if you want that major, you get into that major after the credit window requirement has been met.

Regarding Regional Advisors Most, if not all, regional advisors are alumni volunteers and do not work for the university. They can still answer questions and have been trained by the university in how to answer questions, but they do not make admissions decisions and cannot help you get admitted.

5 Likes