Personality of Emory Student Body

Hello!
My daughter is considering Emory. She would have a pretty good chance of getting in (as much as possible for a top school).
What is the vibe of the student body? Know it’s not overly sporty. Is it nerdy? Particularly Asian? Very “southern”? Just “normal”. Or other?
Also–does it feel like a good community or does everyone just do their thing?
Thank you so much!

Emory is very diverse - last year’s class was 33% Caucasian, 21% Asian, 17% non-resident alient, and then other ethnicities. Is your student Caucasian or Asian? May not be as easy an in as you think. They do have Oxford too.

41% were offered need based aid - so like many high end privates, it’s a “rich kid” school for lack of a better word.

Gorgeous campus with a coke bottle shaped quad.

Further from the city than Vandy - on your other post. I know they have transport and there’s uber.

We looked closely and my daughter loved it. My son didn’t because they don’t have engineering -but that’s why females dominate population wise.

Here’s what Princeton Review says.

Your daughter can always call each school and ask to speak with a student ambassador and get a deeper dive into life on campus to see if it fits.

Professors at Emory are “incredibly successful in their fields but believe that you can be too,” and “are willing to invest time and effort” into seeing this come true. All have open office hours, are “very feedback-oriented,” and “respect what students have to say.” There is an emphasis on a collaborative environment here, and the “amazing, smart people who bring their brains to class and help educate us” make sure that this permeates every inch of the classroom. There is a lack of competition on campus, which is “actually really heartening and refreshing because students are being pushed to learn and do well in classes and on their topics of interest.” As one student puts it, “I know that I am graduating with a support system behind me and endless opportunities in front of me.”

Student Body

The diversity within the student body is a huge draw; not only are students “from all over the United States and from around the globe,” but the perspectives represented on this campus are “truly astounding.” Many students come here with friends from high school, and a fair number of students are in the business school or are pre-med (due to the noted Emory Healthcare system). Everyone at Emory is “extremely curious about the world around them” and passionate about both their areas of study as well as their extracurricular involvements. There’s “a niche for literally anything and everything,” and “the mood on campus is overall happy and light-hearted.” The spirit of Emory encompasses “a community of care, embracing diversity, and providing a learning environment conducive to academic success.”

Emory is a great school with a collaborative culture. Keep in mind there are two distinct campus’s for freshman - Oxford and Main with very different vibes. Mr D would not even consider the smaller Oxford campus. Ultimately my D wanted a school with more “spirit”. You can find parties but it’s definitely not a party school. Assuming she is applying RD she should definitely put it in the mix. However, getting in is tough RD vs ED so while she may have the grades, RD is a reach for everyone.

Surely you could have worded this a little better…. Ouch. Southern vs normal? Particularly asian?

5 Likes

For future reference, you would have more success posting under College Search & Selection asking for advice. You should include sentences like:

• My daughter is interested in …

• She is looking for a college that offers …

• Our budget is …

You should avoid sentences that include your stereotypes of a student group or university.

As written, I find that the OP does not comply with the Forum Rules. Closing