Physics 218 Advice

<p>Physics 218 sure brings back some interesting (and not the best) memories. My son is in Physics 208 currently, so he is not out of the physics cycle yet. A few thoughts: My son was in a 218 class that curved (I think most do), and he was very worried about low grades, also. The key for him was to keep in mind how far he was from the average. His first grade was a 58. He was convinced he failed, but with his class the average was a 40. The next test he was around the average, and the third one above. So even though his grades were not standard A’s, he felt ok about the class. Keep in mind, too, that test grades make up appox. 60-65% of the total with homework, recitation, and labs making up the rest. Think about how you are doing with those remaining grades. The biggest determination for my son being successful in 218, he says, was going over old tests many, many times and if he didn’t understand, he would ask. </p>

<p>@inspiration12 I’ve asked my daughter to find out where she stands as far as the class average. All of these posts suggest that this is the key. I think my daughter is the most frustrated because she has gone over the old tests and felt very comfortable with that material, but she didn’t think this test was like the old tests. Hopefully another meeting with her professor will be helpful in determining if she needs to shift her focus.</p>

<p>Thanks to everyone for your responses and words of encouragement!</p>

<p>My son had already decided to use his AP credit for Physics 208. He did well enough to use it for 218, but his advisor suggested he take Mechanics since he is an ME major.</p>

<p>I do think more professors curve these days. His syllabus says they reserve the right to curve after the final. My son is not counting on it, but it would be nice. He still thinks he can pull a B out… maybe.</p>

<p>I do think they use these first PHYS and Math courses to wake up the kids. It sure got my sons attention. But I also think they try to make some of the Physics common tests almost impossible. </p>

<p>@inspriration12 I’m curious, if you don’t mind answering, does your son have an opinion yet on which course is harder – Physics 218 or Physics 208? Is he finding 208 to be considerably more difficult, as so many of us have heard over the years? I understand if you or your son don’t want to answer that, or if it’s too early to answer. Thanks!</p>

<p>@SimpleLife Physics 208 is more difficult for my son in terms of new material being learned. He had physics B in high school not C, so electricity and magnetism is a whole new ballgame. It is more abstract for him and he’s had to learn new concepts he has never seen before, unlike physics 218. HIs a-ha moments take longer, but first 2 tests have been decent. Hope that helps! </p>

<p>Thanks, @inspiration12, for your thoughtful response! Yes, it helps. I’m just really curious about different people’s experiences and trying to get a bigger picture of what our kids have been going through. </p>

<p>It’s great that his first 2 tests have been decent and that he’s soaking it all in! :slight_smile: </p>

<p>I can also attest to inspiration12’s son’s observation about grades. When I took 218 two years ago I got a 50 something on the first test, 60 something on the second, and I think a 60 something on the third one. But I still ended up with an A as my final grade. So I wouldn’t advise anyone to drop it as long as you’re at/above the average. </p>

<p>And in terms of difficulty of physics courses for engineers, I’d say (from least difficult to most difficult):</p>

<p>218<222<208<221</p>

<p>I have a senior at A&M right now - and completely understand the despair and panic you’re feeling. My son is a Petroleum Eng major. Those two physics classes were incredibly frustrating and scary for him. He, too, had never experienced low grades. I actually think he had a 28 on one exam - and it was higher than the average in the class. They are, indeed, weeder classes. He ended up with C’s in both of those - and did celebratory dances each time the final grade came in. The finals were not easy - that’s a rumor. A couple things we learned…

1. Don’t drop. It’s not going to be easier the second time around. Stick it out.
  2. Run - as fast as you can to A+ Tutoring. They saved my son in physics and calculus. A+ learns how each professor tests - and offers comprehensive sessions the week of each test. It’s worth EVeRY penny. My son was incredibly hesitant at first (shy engineering type who prefers to work on things alone). After the first session - he never missed. If I remember - it was in the $200. Range for a semester pass per class.<br>
  3. Take the other physics at a jr or community class? DO IT. Mine wouldn’t and regrets it. Why? Those C’s hurt his GPA. When the recruiters come for internships - GPA is huge. They don’t care if some classes were taken elsewhere (and that grade doesn’t factor in GPA). He was beaten out on a couple internships by people who took the toughest classes elsewhere. It has all worked out - he’s had great internships every summer since he started. But not taking physics elsewhere to have his GPA in the high 3’s instead of low 3’s is something he wishes he’d done. </p>

<p>Good luck! Once they get through these two physics it isn’t exactly a cakewalk - but it will be nothing as excruciating what they’re experiencing now…</p>

<p>@go4fan56‌ I loved your post. It was passionate, informative, direct, and you provided some excellent advice!</p>

<p>But to be fair, the statement that the final is easier than the other 2 tests is not really a rumor. It’s just that different people have experienced the course differently. My son’s 218 final was definitely easier than the other 2 tests. At least that’s the way that he and his close friends experienced it. </p>

<p>But, yes, it’s clear that some people felt that their finals were tougher. </p>

<p>My son also felt strongly that 208 was easier (well, required significantly less time) than 218.</p>

<p>He might be kind of an “outlier” when it comes to academics. Other than the fact that he, like so many others, was stunned by his low test scores in 218, he seems to have experienced engineering Physics differently than the majority here. I guess that makes my feedback more irrelevant than most! Oh, well. :)</p>

<p>Taking physics at a community college is a personal decision, of course, but keep in mind that if a student can get through the physics series at A&M they are probably more prepared for future challenging classes. In the big picture, this may be a positive.</p>

<p>I haven’t read all of your posts but see a lot of concern about the physics “weedout” classes. One tip we found in a course review was “A+ tutoring”. After my son’s first test he decided to sign up and it was definitely worth the cost. </p>

<p>FWIW my S’s formula for success with these classes was to do al of the reading before class, take good notes during class and review and rewrite them after class and then attend A+ review sessions. .He had a friend with each class who helped each other with areas of difficult… This was one advantage to living in Mosher but he was able to continue this even when not in Mosher. Lots of work but doable. I hope this helps.</p>

<p>My S informed me that his class average for exam 2 in PHYS 218 was 41. Seems a bit much that the tests are so hard that they average so low. </p>

<p>Whciv01 – I agree! I have always wondered what value there is in a test like that! It doesn’t seem to test what the kids learned or what the teachers taught. And, when they don’t tell the kids what the curve will be, definitively, it just leaves them with additional stress of the unknown.</p>

<p>There seems to be such a difference in grading between Don’t Panic Physics and University Physics. But I guess it t should all be relative. If you scored in the top of either whether it is a 95 or a 55 the student should still earn an A. But you never know.</p>

<p>I’ve also heard that it is not a good idea to change from one to the other for the next semester. If you started in University Physics for 218 you should stay in it for 208. The same goes for the Don’t Panic students. Has anyone else heard this? Has anyone switched?</p>

<p>@kidat1 Are there two different common tests for Don’t Panic and University Physics? I was under the impression that the common tests were just that, common to all Physics 218 students for that semester.</p>

<p>I don’t know for sure but I thought the tests were different. It makes some sense due to the difference in the textbooks. Hopefully a current student or someone with a former engineering student can answer.</p>

<p>My son is currently in Don’t Panic Physics 218. He said that the tests are different and the second test average was around 70.</p>

<p>My S used the University book for the first semester and Don’t Panic for the second. He didn’t have a problem with this. It didn’t make a big difference for him but he thought he liked the University book a little better. As I mentioned before for him with either book, doing the reading taking and reviewing/ rewriting notes, having a study partner and A+ tutoring were his formula for doing really well with both classes. FWIW he as others said that the grades would definitely be curved. Some profs don’t curve each test but set the curve based on overall performance at the end of the semester. I just texted him and he told me that the common test only go with one book but he didn’t say which book. My guess which I have a 50/50 chance of getting it right is that the common tests go with University Physics. I’m happy to ask him if you have other questions. </p>

<p>S just texted me that he thinks the common tests go with don’t panic but he didn’t remember for sure.</p>