Physics 218 Advice

<p>My S is on University Physics and they did take a common test. Since his class average was 41 compared to the 70 posted above, these tests musts be totally different. The highest grade in my sons class was an 85 with over 120 people.</p>

<p>Here’s my son’s contribution to the University Physics versus Don’t Panic discussion:</p>

<p>He had 218 Honors – with University Physics textbook – and had pretty low test scores, which were surprisingly high test scores when put on a curve. Class test averages were like those mentioned above – like 41, etc.</p>

<p>He had 208 non-honors – with Don’t Panic – and still had fairly low test scores, which were, again, high test scores when put on a curve. Class averages were a bit higher for 208. And he found 208 to be much easier and less time consuming that 218.</p>

<p>He was under the impression that classes that used Don’t Panic were a little easier. He also said that he preferred Don’t Panic overall, but that University Physics had lots of practice problems and other helpful stuff, and that he liked that.</p>

<p>After I saw SimpleLife’s comments I asked my son a few more questions and I am convinced it is a matter of personal preference and there really isn’t a better book or easier class. My S liked University Physics better because he liked the way the chapters were organized. He specifically said that he thought the classes were equally difficult because of tutoring but he thought that 218 would have been the easier class if he were not going to A+.(208 was his Don’t Panic class). Go figure.</p>

<p>My S isn’t in honors. but he is strong in math. I promise I am not on the A+ payroll but I am encouraging parents of students whose kids seem to be having difficulty with physics to consider it because my son felt that tutoring translated the professor’s lessons into English. I hope this doesn’t come across a boast but my son finished both of those classes without reaping benefits from the curve. (Well maybe a little benefit in 218 due to his first test prior to tutoring.) I know it may be too pricey for some but if it is doable and if your child is willing and will put in the work, it can be a worthwhile investment. This is not to say that all A+ students ace their classes but I would expect that all of the students that attend and put in the work come out with a better understanding with tutoring than they would have without it. This isn’t the only way but it is a way that can make a real difference. But attending tutoring without putting in the work would probably not be the answer either.</p>

<p>Good Luck to all of your kids.</p>

<p>^^This.</p>

<p>If you are in an introductory physics class, A+ is the best $180 you can spend.</p>

<p>Well, the third Physics 218 test was last week and the averages are in now. My S said the overall average was a 50 with his class average of 45. This is for University Physics book. WOW, its sure does seem as though these tests are way too difficult. My son beat the average by quite a bit, but still not nearly what he was expecting. His raw average in the class is now around 74. Does anyone know how the curve is applied in Physics? I realize this is up to the professor, but I suspect most classes are handled the same way. Do they normally add a curve to the test scores or do they just change what makes a letter grade (90-100 is an A, 80-90 is a B…).</p>

<p>It was my understanding each test is being curved somewhat and there is a possibility of an overall curve at the end of the semester but, of course, that means no one really knows. I remember, over the Christmas break, it was a surprise to everyone to see what grade they ended up getting. My gut feel, after having two kids work their way through this process, your son is doing well as he is beating the average by quite a bit. Also, the general consensus by older kid and her friends, is that the final isn’t as bad but, of course, that was a couple of years ago so who knows. I’ve always thought it was a weird and frustrating way to test the kids’ knowledge when a “D” on a test is an “A”.</p>

<p>It’s hard to say how grades are curved. Probably with a standard deviation around the mean. Each professor is different and they probably wouldn’t reveal it anyways - maybe just hints along the way. My S who took physics 218 last year was pleasantly surprised by his grade after the curve. Of course, getting to that point was misery as it’s so unlike other classes he was used to. He is currently in physics 208 and he said the professor thought the average of the 2nd test they took was too high (76). I guess she took care of that because the 3rd test average was 55. Why have the test so hard and the average so low? It could be a combination of the hard subject matter taught at a rigorous engineering school and a way to “test” the kids and see how they handle the stress and push through. Just a guess…</p>

<p>inspiration12 - I think you are right --“combination of the hard subject matter taught at a rigorous engineering school and a way to “test” the kids and see how they handle the stress and push through.” </p>

<p>Hello everyone,
I’m checking this forum back after the first semester and a round of exams for the first time. I’m extremely surprised at the massive amounts of comments and discussion on this thread. I will post my comments on 218 itself soon. My opinion at the moment is that it’s a pretty challenging course that requires a lot of studying and dedication to it. There’s no way around that. Also earlier I said that I had rupak mahapatra - I don’t think he ended up teaching this semester so I had Barun Kumar Dhar. I’ll review him soon in the future as well.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Also I’ll share grading information soon as well. However the final exam grades haven’t been posted yet and I’m not sure what the curve is going to be either…</p>

<p>Upperclassmen have said that this is a decent rule of thumb for the class…</p>

<p>Raw avg
50-C
60-B
70+A</p>

<p>I’m not sure if this entirely true but it seems somewhat accurate Cuz w/o it more than half of 218 in university physics would definitely be failing</p>

<p>My grade has been posted but I’m in the Dont panic section. I have 90.6 overall. Median grade for my class is 76. It was a very challenging class that I dedicated a lot of time on. </p>

<p>Grades have been posted on Howdy for parents. How did everyone do?</p>

<p>My son was in University Physics and managed to pull out an A in Physic 218. He was very pleasantly surprised as he expected a B in the class. This is where the curve worked well for him. I hope everyone else did well. </p>

<p>@Beaudreau My son managed a 4.0 for his first semester. An A in physics 218, math 152, engineering and his electives. He was very happy today when the engineering grades were posted. Congrats to everyone who passed physics! It is a tough class—especially the final!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Congratulations @kidat1 !! My son had the same schedule and also received a 4.0. He has decided to use his physics 208 AP credit enabling him to fit in another course suggested by his advisor.</p>

<p>Beadreau - yep, same 4.0 for my daughter too. I am not sure what these exams teach them with such huge curves but she’ll take it. It seems to freak out the kids but, in the end, it all works out ok. Like Whciv01’s son, my daughter chose to exempt out of Physics 208 so she can take a deep breath before Dif-Eq. Wishing you all a relaxing and Merry Christmas.</p>

<p>Yay for everyone! Hopefully that gives them what they need to get their desired major. Time for the kids (and parents) to relax for a few weeks.</p>

<p>Merry Christmas!</p>

<p>Congrats to all the kiddos for surviving and doing well in Physics 218. My son had Physics 208 this semester and managed an A. He said the material seemed a little harder, but he was not quite as worried this time after taking 218. He’s now officially in his PetE major, so he’s feeling pretty good. </p>

<p>Congratulations to all and the kids that did the hard work! My son also pulled a 4.0 (Phys 218, Engr 111, Math 253, Germ 201, Hist 334). He was surprised and delighted. He worked harder than he has ever worked in school.</p>

<p>He is enjoying some downtown and catching up with his friends. I hope he can keep the momentum up next semester for Phys 208, Engr 112, Math 308, Germ 202, and another Hist class. He now has to apply for Aerospace Engineering.</p>

<p>I’m so happy to hear that all your kids did so well this semester! What a great start to a great education! Such great, hard-working kiddos. Congratulations to all! :slight_smile: </p>