Physics at VT

<p>A while back i had heard from a couple friends that the physics and many science departments at vt are pretty bad. Can anyone tell me whether this is reliable and accurate?</p>

<p>All I know is chemistry at VT is hard, or atleast the class I was in. I can say from my experiences at Tech that the Science departments are pretty strong.</p>

<p>Physics specifically is not one of VT's strong points.</p>

<p>chuy or anyone else- what do you know about the math department?</p>

<p>Correct me if I'm wrong, but i heard the math department had many professors that could hardly speak English.</p>

<p>From my admittedly limited experience with the math department it seemed like one of the more english speaking departments here. Maybe it's just the lower tier math classes that have native english speakers but none of my professors were hard to understand. No clue how well regarded our math department is though.</p>

<p>It seems nobody wants to answer College332's actual question. I'll go first.</p>

<p>The statement that "the physics and many science departments at vt are pretty bad" is inaccurate. As to the reliabilty of the statement, I will go ahead and say that your friends are unreliable.</p>

<p>As to the rest of the assertions made in this thread, I will provide insight with regards to my firsthand experience in the Math, Physics, and Engingeering departments. </p>

<p>It really all boils down to this-If you have a serious interest in mathematics, the Virginia Tech Mathematics department will more than suffice for your learning and undergraduate growth.</p>

<p>If you have a real interest in Physics, the Physics department is an excellent place to build your foundation. The department is home to many renowned Scientists who will surely be able to capture your interest in many different fields.</p>

<p>If you are practical, want to be a high tech plumber, and you can't handle the rigors associated with total immersion into pure science, look into engineering.</p>

<p>My son is a double major Physics/Computer Science with a minor in Math. He had a bit of a tough time with a couple of the Physics professors who, well, let's just say that English isn't their first language. But they more than made up for it by being generous with their time outside of class. Plus, developing a little bit of a relationship with the TAs is always a good idea. Definitely try to get Chang for 1st year physics though!</p>

<p>@yuhc-- Thank you that covered all my questions and was very helpful overall.</p>

<p>thanks to everyone else as well.</p>