Pitt Honors Discussion 2025

Will Chancellor invitation be sent via email and snail mail only or will it show on Portal too?

My son received the Chancellor’s invite today, it was sent around 1:45 this afternoon via email.

11 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like

Does Pitt give additional merit aid to kids who interview for Chancellors but don’t get selected? I know some colleges do that.

I’m wondering the same thing! I was hoping to get a little bit more than what was initially offered.

So does your kid have to live in the Sutherland LLC if they’re in the Honors College or is it just a courtesy? Do most kids think the Honors College is worth it? My dd is worried that college in a different state is already going to be hard & the HC may just make things much harder. Also, one of her majors will probably be in the arts (not music). Where do the kids in the Arts Appreciation LLC usually live?

1 Like

Thank you! Son accepted and would not have known without this forum!

Does anyone know how many are interviewing for the Chancellor’s scholarship? So excited at the opportunity for my daughter but no idea how competitive it is.

The website said no more than 50.

1 Like

Ok, hadn’t realized that. Thank you so much.

1 Like

For the students who have been accepted to Honors are you planning on housing at Sutherland Hall or are you preferring to try another dorm?
pros and cons of both please. My D is not interested in the Honors housing as it is located in upper campus away from the main campus area.

2 Likes

My D is leaning towards Sutherland because of the connections she can build with the other honors students. Hopefully they will also make friends in the Towers as well.

3 Likes

My D21 is considering Pitt honors and would probably take Sutherland. My D18 is in Pitt honors and lived in Nordenberg (lower campus)first year and Panther (upper campus) second year
Both were great dorms
upper campus close to gym
lower campus closer to Cathy, but there are shuttles and buses and is very walkable as well

1 Like

What has her overall experience with Pitt Honors been?

Pitt has been a great experience for D18, the honors courses were smaller and more in depth, more work with more support. They can take honors courses first semester or add them later.

1 Like

What is your D18’s major?

My daughter is in Pitt honors and at first we thought she wouldn’t do Sutherland due to “upper campus” but after visiting and talking to many students and parents, she will definitely do Sutherland. Pitt is a very compact campus so the dorm is really close compared to the distance of some dorms at other schools. It is a hill but you can pop into the events center (with Chic-fil-A!) and take the escalator. Sutherland has bigger rooms, a dining center and the benefit of bonding with other honors students. My daughter has already been on several Zooms with other honors students.

4 Likes

D18 is Neuroscience/French double major on premed track. D21 would study poly sci or global studies. Pitt has been a great fit so far.

2 Likes

A Chic-fil-A right next to Sutherland
now she will get convinced to pick honors dorm :smile:
Can you tell us more regarding the zoom calls with other Honors students. I will encourage my D to do the same.

2 Likes

D is also thinking of premed track but not sure regarding her major. Has getting good grades been challenging at Pitt or with hard work it seems to pay off?