Placement Tests for Math & Foreign Language

<p>My son will be a freshman pre-engineering student in the fall. So far, UW is his first choice. I just read about the necessity for math and foreign language placement tests. I have quite a few questions. (1) When are these tests supposed to be taken? (2) Since he is from OOS can he take the tests during SOAR? (3) Do pre-engineering students have to take the foreign language placement test? (4) How are the math placement tests used--meaning, if a student has passed out of the first and/or second calculus classes based upon AP scores, what is the purpose for the placement test?</p>

<p>[Placement</a> Tests](<a href=“http://testing.wisc.edu/placement%20tests.html]Placement”>http://testing.wisc.edu/placement%20tests.html)</p>

<p>Lots of links explaining things.</p>

<p>Perfect. Thank you.</p>

<p>The foreign language placement tests are ONLY for those who wish to continue that language at UW, used to determine which level course to take. No foreign language placement test is needed to use HS language units for meeting UW graduation requirements. Therefore, if a student has 4 HS years of any foreign language they will have met the L&S BA (as well as BS and every other school/college) requirements for graduation. Students who successfully complete a semester level of a foreign language at UW can get retroactive college credits for all levels up to the level they place into. Only students who need/want more of the HS foreign language would bother with this placement test.</p>

<p>Everyone (regardless of intended major) needs to pass a proficiency test in English- most will pass the placement test and not need any remedial college work. Math- same thing, although I hear that recently the AP calculus test results can be used instead of taking the placement test, unlike just a few years ago. We had to buy (son did) pencils when we arrived for SOAR- he didn’t pay attention to the “what to bring” list. Area (instate, nearby places) can sign up to take the placement tests regionally, or just take them when coming to Madison for SOAR (I highly recommend parents attend the parent session of SOAR).</p>

<p>The key word is PLACEMENT, the tests are used to determine which UW courses should/need to be taken, if applicable.</p>

<p>Thanks for the information. After reading about the math placement test it doesn’t seem logical to take a math placement test to see if you are ready for calculus when you have already passed the calculus ap exam. </p>

<p>Do most parents attend SOAR?</p>

<p>Senior year AP exam results aren’t available until after SOAR registration. If your son took one as a Junior, which probably only a small percent have done, then that will allow advanced Calculus placement. Either way, I would think his advisor at SOAR will have opinions on advanced Calculus placement based on the success other students with the same preparation have had. </p>

<p>Many students don’t do the advancement placement or only 1 semester advanced placement in the case of AP Calc BC to make sure they have a sound foundation going forward. Tests aren’t a 100% predictor. It would be somewhat of a review but not necessarily an easy A. Being over placed and struggling wouldn’t be a good thing.</p>

<p>I would recommend him taking all 3 tests at SOAR if he’s had a foreign language in HS. It’s not that big a pain and it’s just more confirmation he has a solid math background. And students do change their mind about majors and he could want to get retro foreign language credit, though I think you need to take the advanced language course in the first 30 credits at UW.</p>

<p>Thanks. Do you happen to know if the SOAR advisors are matched by major or pre-major? It would be helpful to have an advisor on the engineering track.</p>

<p>The reason to specify a major when applying is to get assigned an advisor in the proposed area, getting in had nothing to do with intended school/major. Preengineering will have advising specific to it, as does L&S Honors and others. </p>

<p>Many parents do attend SOAR, even UW alumni can learn from it. Some from far away even use it as a family vacation destination. Staying in the dorm housing is most convenient- and they have great food. The dorm gives you a sense of the daily life for your child away from home. The students and parents are housed in different areas and have mainly different schedules- you won’t be in their way. They go through their advising sessions and scheduling without the parents. Parents get an overview focused on their concerns. It’s a good way to learn a lot about the campus without needing to ask questions your child doesn’t want to answer or doesn’t know answers to.</p>

<p>Thanks wis75. It sounds like fun. We have family in Milwaukee and Lacrosse, so we might extend our stay and turn it into our summer vacation.</p>