Planning for Move-In, August 2013

<p>Hi. I thought I would start this thread so current UM parents can help us newbies as we plan for our DS/DD launch in August. Looking for the latest info; that's why I'm not doing a forum search on this. I have a few questions to start:</p>

<p>My DS' move-in is supposed to Tues, 8/20, afternoon. Ok if we come in the morning or do they not let you do that?</p>

<p>Any traffic hints or just expect a mess that day?</p>

<p>What are some recommended hotels nearby? We don't need anything fancy - just something convenient to the U. Not seeking any kind of Miami/South Beach "experience."</p>

<p>I know there are activities for parents. I really do not want to miss the Shalala reception. Looks like that is Thurs night. Pretty sure DH will want to leave before that (I will gladly bring him to the airport!). Which parent events were worth it; which were not?</p>

<p>After move-in, will we pretty much be done seeing DS or do the parents take the kids out for dinner that night? (I screwed that up with DD -- I figured she would be busy that night but everyone was out with their families! Fortunately we were still in the area so we were able to get her for dinner!).</p>

<p>Are there floor plans of freshman dorms on line somewhere? Want to see how it compares to DD's dorm so I can figure out some of the things DS might need (underbed storage, etc.). He is requesting Stanford.</p>

<p>Does anyone know when Parents Weekend is?</p>

<p>I did find this website, which I think has been updated recently:</p>

<p>Orientation</a> | University of Miami</p>

<p>All advice is welcome :)</p>

<p>Congratulations!! So glad your son will be a Cane - get ready for an exciting four years! I can’t believe it’s been a year since we were in your position - time flies by so quickly when you’re having fun :slight_smile: </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I believe if you call they will put your name on a list to move in earlier. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Copied from this year’s S/S weekend website recommended hotel list: </p>

<p>Holiday Inn - University of Miami (across the street from campus)
1350 South Dixie Highway
Coral Gables, FL 33146
Phone: 305.667.5611
Reservations: 305.667.5611 or 1.800.HOLIDAY</p>

<p>Marriott Miami Dadeland (provides complimentary shuttle to/from Miami International Airport and right next to Metrorail, two stops away from the University stop in front of campus)
9090 South Dadeland Boulevard
Miami, FL 33156
Phone: 305.670.1035
Reservations: 1.800.228.9290</p>

<p>Courtyard Miami Dadeland (provides complimentary shuttle to/from Miami International Airport and right next to Metrorail, two stops away from the University stop in front of campus)
9075 South Dadeland Boulevard
Miami, FL 33156
Phone: 305.670.1220
Reservations: 1.800.321.2211 </p>

<p>But we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Coconut Grove for move in week along with Dindune, Zinc, Meteormom, VHFather and others. I’m not sure if all the hotels have this arrangement with the <em> but the Hampton has Sebastian visit during breakfast one morning for photo ops (see my FB profile pic) and the lobby was festooned with orange and green including a big balloon arch. Definitely </em> parent friendly. We had purchases shipped from Amazon (love their Student Prime) the week before that were waiting for us when we checked in. Free WIFI (request a lower room for better reception, I forgot to and ours was slooow), free breakfast, free parking. Close to the Coconut Grove Metrorail station. The UM rate for Aug 2013 is $104. Many of the other local hotels have a daily parking charge. Here is the UM negotiated rate hotel list for 2013:</p>

<p>[Local</a> Hotels - 2013 Rates | Finance & Treasury | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/finance/index.php/travel_management/hotels/local_hotels_-_2013_rates/]Local”>Financial Affairs | University of Miami)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Preliminary schedule looks a little different this year. The detailed schedule from last year is here: </p>

<p><a href=“https://www6.miami.edu/orientation/pdfs/Orientation2012.pdf[/url]”>https://www6.miami.edu/orientation/pdfs/Orientation2012.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>so you can get an idea of all the offerings they had last year. Definitely a different schedule though - the last two years the parent events ended with President Shalala’s Saturday am brunch. We went to most of the parent information sessions and they were all well run and helpful (and kept me busy so I wasn’t worrying/texting IllD93 who was off having a ball with her new friends of course)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I don’t think I saw IllD93 again except briefly to drop off more packages since we’d shipped two big boxes from home to the local Fed Ex Office that arrived a day or so after we did. Then she ran down to the parking lot for a goodbye hug as we were heading for the airport. I was teary - she was not. They are SUPER busy with all sorts of events - a salsa dance party, a foam pool party, a hypnotist, and more. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>[Room</a> Layouts | Residential Life and Housing | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/sa/index.php/residential_life/housing_a-z/room_layouts/]Room”>Student Affairs I University of Miami)</p>

<p>Here are SVMmom’s pictures of her daughter’s room: </p>

<p><a href=“Google Workspace Updates: New community features for Google Chat and an update on Currents”>Google Workspace Updates: New community features for Google Chat and an update on Currents;

<p>IllD93 was supposed to take pics of the room she shares with Dindune’s D but I’m guessing they’re still on her camera since I’ve never seen them!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Family Weekend is the weekend of October 4th-6th. The football game that weekend is vs Georgia Tech on the 5th.</p>

<p>So much to read tonight! Thank you!</p>

<p>I will give you some more reading! My son moved in 2 years ago - the time flies! We flew in the day before his assigned move-in date. We rented a smaller size suv and we stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in Coral Gables. We had no complaints about the hotel except that if you got back late it was difficult to park. The day we arrived we went to Target and picked up school and desk supplies, laundry supplies, cleaning supplies that I am sure were never used and bathroom stuff. The day of move-in my son and husband brought up his bags and started to set up his room and I made my first of many trips to Bed and Bath and Target at the Dadeland Mall. There is a Best Buy and a Sports Authority also. I had packed a set of sheets and towels that I washed at home so I did not have to do any laundry in order to make my son’s bed. It was a good idea to get to bed and bath early because it and Target did get crowded as the day went on. While I was there I got many texts from the dorm requesting items they needed - duct tape, extension cords (Target did run out so definitely buy a few and keep your receipts you will be making many returns), hooks for the wall. My son hung up most of his clothes on hangers so he only put underwear, socks and shorts in his drawers. I think we bought 2 sets of the 3 drawer plastic bins. He and his roommate decided before they got to school that they were going to loft their beds and his roommate brought a futon that fit under one of beds and their tv and game system were under the other bed. My son’s roommate was from Florida so we were lucky that he brought the big items - fridge, tv, printer. The boys did not cover the ugly windows but I looked in alot of the girls’ rooms and they did. I did buy a rug for the room at Bed and Bath. They do sell rugs on campus. Best Buy and other vendors set up tables on campus for purchases also. Have your son or daughter get their computer set up asap, the line for that does get long. It was done in the dorm then, I am not sure if it still is. I have to tell you that we did not see my son much after that first day :-(. We did make a trip to costco before we left and stocked up on a ton of snacks and microwave food. Some things that you might not think of packing: beach towel, sunscreen, an umbrella that fits in a backpack (your son or daughter will laugh at you, but it will be used!), flip flops for the shower, flashlight, football or soccer ball. I would also bring a small umbrella for yourself because it does rain a lot in Florida in August. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!!!</p>

<p>Just two quick ones-</p>

<p>You will need your drivers license to check out a move in cart. Put it in your pocket to save yourself a long elevator wait or worse run up the stairs! </p>

<p>If you are buying or bringing a bike, skip the lock you will be required to use the ones provided by campus security.</p>

<p>Great info! I’m thinking that I may plan a trip to visit my parents (who live a little over an hour from campus) this summer to pick up some things and avoid the stores near campus as much as possible during move-in. I can leave everything at their house and go there before we move in.</p>

<p>NJmoms: I’m laughing about your umbrella comment. I was in Eddie Bauer recently with DS (before he committed to Miami) and I pointed out the great windbreakers with hoods they had “which will be useful if you are Miami in the fall.” He noted that he already had a windbreaker (no hood)… and that was enough. Yes, I said, but it will pour for five minutes at the exact time you have to go to class across campus! Now that we’ve put down our deposit, I think I will go back and pick it up for him soon!</p>

<p>Great suggestions. Linymom the Target next to UM is great but is not as big as some others that is why you may take advantage of your “Florida connection” and stock up early. I loved the comment about the cleaning supplies never been used…buy Off. Summer is mosquito season and kids will be out playing sports. I recommend a sun shirt with SPF. The sun in Florida is strong and kids go to the beach/pool or play sports for several hours, many times without wearing sunscreen. A good sun shirt will last them all 4 years. They will resist wearing them at first but after their first sunburn they will learn to love them.</p>

<p>Off is a good idea, but I wouldn’t say that mosquitoes are a problem here. I’ve had waaaay more mosquitoes back home in Baltimore than on campus. The administration does a very good job with pest control; I haven’t been bitten by any mosquitoes on campus since I’ve been down here!</p>

<p>Moving to UM campus</p>

<p>LINYMOM…Hi again and THANK YOU for staring this thread!! Brilliant idea. And thanks to the moms for the contributions. I will be stalking this thread on a regular basis. I stayed at the Hampton Inn Coconut Grove for accepted students day and the Hilton Garden Inn for auditions (deliberately stayed at 2 different places to compare). Both were fine and close. And like you LINYMOM I’m expecting to send DH home before most of the orientation week.
But hoping to spend a few days to a week before orientation down there with the whole family on vacation, so suggestions of things to do with them would be great.
Looking forward to being part of the UM parent “family”</p>

<p>NYsaxmom: I just made reservations for the Hampton Inn Coconut Grove for move-in week and Family Weekend (Oct. 4-6).</p>

<p>August is hot so attractions like the Everglades National Park while a lot of fun, should be left for a later time of the year.

• the beach ( not only South Beach but also north up to Hollywood Beach).
  • water sports- Key Biscayne - right off Brickell, close to the Grove- you can rent all types of water sport equipment- from jet ski to catamarans
  • want a restaurant by the beach? Red Fish Grill-<a href=“http://m.redfishgrill.net/”>http://m.redfishgrill.net/&lt;/a&gt;
    -if you have a kids (teens also enjoy this) and do not mind driving one hour north - Rapids Water Park
  • Shopping is the biggest attraction here. Huge Outlet Malls.Sawgrass Mills and Dolphin Mall.
  • red double decker tour buses are a great way to get around and see the city. They go all the way to Miami Beach. Stop by and say hi! ( they go by my house)
  • Lincoln Rd is a lot of fun. Lots of shops and restaurants.
    Just a few ideas. Around campus you have Sunset shops and Sunset drive. Lots of restaurants. The Shops At Merrick Park- fancier stores ( Neiman’s, Nordstrom) great outdoor restaurants (Yard House, Villagio)
  • Little Havana- Cuba in Miami - unpretentious Versailles Restaurant is a Miami institution. also if you do not feel adventurous get some Cuban coffee an pastelitos at the bakery next door.</p>

<p>I’ve started a new tread so people can post more ideas.</p>

<p>Hello parents of Miami students! I have learned so much on this thread and I already have a S finishing up sophomore year at the U and a D starting there this fall!! I did have a question about why people say DS on these threads? What am I missing? PM me if you have daughters going to the U in the Honors program. Is there any Honors FB page?</p>

<p>LINYMOM I did book a fancy place on the beach for the week before as it will be our only vacation this year but I think I will book coconut grove for the time during move in week as it might only be me and maybe a child or two
And ddahwan…thank you for all the information. Hopefully in August we’ll actually get to meet
Arborvitae I have a S and he’s definitely not honors. He got in on the beautiful music he plays…LOL but he’s cute and smarter than his grades suggest :slight_smile:
I am WAY too excited about this…more so than S</p>

<p>LINYMOM…just booked Coconut Grove for move in week and parents weekend. Woohoo!</p>

<p>NYsaxmom for sure. You will be right by where I buy my Subway sandwiches and doughnuts. It is a great location.</p>

<p>Subway, donuts…I’m there :)</p>

<p>Just had to chime in with my THANKS for all of the great information! This is my first child going away to school - so I’m feeling a little overwhelmed - but it helps so much to hear from those that have been there/done that and also those that are in the same boat :)</p>

<p>Arborvitae - my D is considering the Honors program. I don’t remember - is that something they have to commit to before they register - like the Prism program? Or can they decide later on?</p>

<p>Also - I’m really not sure what the “D” in DS and DD stands for - but when I read it I always say “Darling Son” or “Darling Daughter” in my head. I have no clue where I got that idea or if it is at all correct :)</p>

<p>I think it means DS-Dear Son, DD-Dear Daughter, DH- Dear Husband. I guess not to be confused with other acronyms.</p>