Please chance me + advice

UC/CSU GPA: 4.0
UW GPA: 3.67
Academic weighted: 3.83
SAT: 1510, super score is 1530
National merit semifinalist

Please chance me at the following schools (nursing program)

University of San Francisco
SDSU
CSU Fullerton
UCI
UCLA

Also, I have a few questions. How important is location of school to getting a job? Specifically, do we usually get offered jobs at the hospitals we do clinicals at? If I want to stay and work in the Bay Area after graduating, would it be best to attend USF?

Also, how important is the mid year report if I’m applying early action/decision? It wouldn’t factor into the admissions decisions as long as I don’t get deferred right? I’m not doing too well in my AP Courses this year, but as long as I don’t get D’s or F’s and maintain a 3.0, the mid year report should be fine right?

I would really appreciate some help, I’m pretty stressed out right now. Thanks in advance!

USF will be the only school that will consider your Mid-year Senior grades for admission purposes. The rest of the schools just want to make sure you pass all Senior courses and maintain a weighted GPA of 3.0 or higher (SDSU/CSUF/UCI) while UCLA expects a 3.0+ unweighted GPA with no more than 2 C’s senior year to maintain your acceptance.

You look competitive for the schools on your list, however, with 3-4 % acceptance rates for UCI/UCLA Nursing, they are tough admits for every applicant. There are plenty of job opportunities for Nurses throughout California, so I would not worry about the school location. In the end, pick the school that fits you best academically, socially and financially.

Best of luck.

If I apply early action to USF, I should be getting a decision by late December/early January so they shouldn’t have access to my senior grades, if I’m correct. In that case, like the rest of the schools, I just need to make sure I pass right?

Also, do you think I should apply to more nursing programs just to be sure I’ll be accepted somewhere, or am I okay with my current list and stats? I would definitely prefer to stay in California.

One more question: would applying early decision to USF significantly increase my acceptance chances? I would like to attend a slightly smaller, less party-like school, so I feel that USF is probably my top choice. However, im worried about what would happen if I am not offered a good financial aid package. Could you share your thoughts?

Thanks for your help, and I apologize for so many question haha :slight_smile:

California nursing programs are highly competitive. UCLA is one of the most competitive nursing programs in the US. I’d also apply to other programs.

You do not need to graduate from a “prestigious college.” Health care organizations may trust graduates from certain colleges because they know previous hires from that college were well-prepared. Some employers try to stress graduates over a certain GPA, which means that people who just barely graduated may have a more difficult time.

since your asking here, my presumption is you aren’t volunteering in a health-care setting where you could ask RNs these questions.

Which is unfortunate, because the UC schools and some other nursing programs emphasize the importance of experience, as you’ll discover when you read their admission process info. UCI says for example

Given how competitive admission is to these programs, it will be much harder to get in if you don’t have the experience they mention.

I can only speak to what was told to my daughter when visiting and speaking with nursing programs (in Ohio).

If you do well at clinicals, your chances of being offered a job there are huge. If they don’t have an opening on that floor, they will try to find a spot for you in another department. My DD is a high school senior so we have not seen this in action.

At least one school said they have hospitals call them asking about their recent graduates. I think some schools probably have close relationships with area hospitals, and the hospitals know what to expect from their graduates. That’s not to say you can’t take your degree and NCLEX passage and go somewhere else, but it probably is easier to get a job where you’ve already done a successful clinical.

My daughter was hired at the hospital where she did most of her clinicals and where she worked for the summer. However, most of her fellow graduates did not. In any case, it is preferable to go to college where you eventually wish to work - not only so you have a good chance of being hired, but also so the student can test out various facilities to decide where they want to work. Some facilities have a very positive culture for new nurses, while other places do not.