Please help- question about ucb and ucla admissions

I have a 3.96 unweighted gpa, got 1 B in the sophomore year of high school. My uncapped UC gpa is 4.62. How much will that 1B affect my chances at UC Berkeley or ucla? i heard they care a lot about gpa.

Not at all. One B in your sophomore year won’t get you rejected at any school.

I agree that 1 B will not get you rejected but all UC’s use 14 areas of criteria to review Freshman applicants (minus test scores) for this year. The UC’s tend to be very GPA focused but your Personal insight essays, EC’s and HS course rigor will all contribute to your chances along with intended major.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/applying-as-a-freshman/how-applications-are-reviewed.html

Some UC statistical data below:

2019 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above capped weighted and not major specific:

UCB: 38%

UCLA: 35%

UCSD: 71%

UCSB: 73%

UCD: 84%

UCI: 55%

UCSC: 85%

UCR: 97%

UCM: 98%

2020 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range:

UCB: 4.22 (4.13-4.30)

UCLA: 4.25 (4.18-4.31)

UCSD: 4.18(4.04-4.28)

UCSB: 4.17 (4.03-4.27)

UCI: 4.11 (3.96-4.26)

UCD: 4.11 (3.97-4.25)

UCSC: 3.94 (3.71-4.16)

UCR: 3.88 (3.65-4.11)

UCM: 3.68 (3.40-3.96)

I am pretty sure the highest possible capped UC GPA is around 4.4 so, you may want to recalculate yours here:
https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

That said with just 1 B, you are certainly a strong candidate BUT, UCB and UCLA get more well qualified applicants than they have seats. Admit rate at both for students with 4.2+ UCGPA is less than 40% - so your chances are less than coin toss.

Be sure to apply broadly and good luck.

@anyonmyous123 When posting about the UC’s, you should post your Unweighted UC GPA, Capped Weighted UC GPA and Fully weighted (uncapped) UC GPA along with HS course rigor.

If you check the UCLA and UCB websites, they show their admit GPA ranges for the Fully weighted UC GPA. The data from the General UC website quotes only the Capped weighted UC GPA which has a 4.4 maximum.

Thanks for all the answers you provide on this forum and others related to UCs and CSUs.

Shouldn’t this be 4.16 for UCSD and 4.15 for UCSB? The stats you post are very useful to a lot of folks (including the ones only reading) - hence suggesting the corrections.

Thanks for the correction on the averages.

1 Like