pleasee chance a premed hopeful?

<p>i'm interested in premed, but i'm not sure is this is the right school for that.
so just to start off, i think my hook will be my future. i plan on joining peace corps after undergrad, and then after my residency, i will join doctors without borders.
maybe become a ob/gyn because they are desperately needed in doctors w/o borders (medecins sans frontiers)</p>

<p>if this has any relevancy, i'm asian (chinese)
but from i've heard, being asian is a disadvantage under affirmative action.</p>

<p>my wgpa is 4.3 but unweighted is 3.6
not too good in my opinion.</p>

<p>sat II's
chemistry 770
i'll take bio this oct/nov and i think i'll get at least 750 on that</p>

<p>studied five years of french at my school and im fluent in chinese, if that's a lang plus?</p>

<p>APs</p>

<p>AP AB Calc- 4
AP Chem- 5
AP gov't and politics-5
AP Psychology- 5</p>

<p>senior year (this year) i will take
AP Human Geography
AP statistics
AP environmental science
AP biology</p>

<p>SATs (i know i need to improve)</p>

<p>math 650
writing 720
critical reading 660
essay 11 (but i heard essays aren't that important)
SAT: 2030</p>

<p>ACTs (i'll raise this to at least a 33)
English 30
Math 27
Reading 33
Science 24
Writing 11
Composite 29</p>

<p>Extracurriculars</p>

<p>Founder of Charity for China (raised $2,000)
Secretary of Technology Honors Society
Treasurer of Fantasy Literature Club
National Honors Society
French Honors Society
Treasurer of Chesapeake Bay Club
Tutoring Club (teach local middle schoolers)
American Red Cross (3 years)
Track & Field (2 years)</p>

<p>275+ hours of community service</p>

<p>thanks thanks.
how important is teacher reccomendations?</p>

<p>Your future plans are NOT a “hook”- if so every potential student would be up for a Nobel Prize in something per their plans. Explore the UW admissions website- there’s a chances chart for ACT/SAT (subject tests are not required) and unweighted gpa- yours looks like an 80% chance. Your teacher recommendations will count- there is a discussion of things on that website. For the essays answer the questions asked. Most colleges are fine for premed. UW has a medical school (public so instate favored of course) and offers good preparation. Most students who think they are interested in medicine either change their minds or do not get accepted into a medical school, premed is an intention, not a major. Therefore choose your colleges based on where you would like to spend 4 years and the availability of majors that interest you. Wisconsin doesn’t have a large Asian population so that may be a plus for diversity.</p>

<p>thanks thanks. i realize how naive i was to think that i could use my future as a hook.
being told that being asian might be beneficial for diversity is a first haha</p>

<p>Depends on your location- most Asians in Wisconsin are SE Asian, especially Hmong. They fall into the URM category, not sure others, such as Indians, Chinese, et al do. Still represents diversity in this area. Regarding foreign languages- some required, many/most will have 4 years of one- read the freshman admissions site for all sorts of info on the typical successful applicant, not just the requirements.</p>

<p>I think you’re fine.</p>