Politics at UM

<p>Although I know that UMiami isn't known for being socially-minded, are there any prominent opportunities at the school/in the community for students interested in politics and/or activism?</p>

<p>I believe that there is a student government1</p>

<p>Definitely during the election years!</p>

<p>lol the thought of student government being socially active…</p>

<p>there are some social justice groups on campus (last semester we petitioned for the rights of one of the cafeteria workers). We also get a good number of high profile politicians because of florida’s swingable electoral votes and Donna Shalala’s former political creds. There’s also young dems and college republicans, as well as debate and MUN teams.
However, I don’t know that we can match, say a Berkeley or Northwestern or Georgetown on this. That doesn’t mean that we won’t forever. One of the things about the school is that if you see something you don’t think the campus has, you can make it happen. You get to create the traditions of the future. For example, a friend of mine was really interested in studying US-Turkish relations. He got prestigious awards to study abroad in turkey and founded a middle eastern studies society.</p>