Positive preread but not eligible for a likely letter Hopkins

I am a prospective student-athlete in the Class of 2024, being recruited by Johns Hopkins. I am in the process of navigating the complex D3 recruitment.

My pre-read with admissions came back positive, indicating that I should have a good chance of being admitted. However, I’ve been informed by admissions that despite my pre-read results, I won’t be eligible for a “likely letter.”

I find this a bit perplexing, given that my academic stats are quite strong, even for a Hopkins applicant: a 1550+ SAT score and a 4.0 GPA, along with a rigorous course load (all they look at for pre read). This leaves me curious and admittedly, a little worried about what’s to come.

The coach has been incredibly supportive and is resubmitting the pre-read in the hope that admissions will reconsider their stance on the likely letter. But, the uncertainty of the situation has been stressful and I am hoping to find some understanding through shared experiences.

Does anyone have experience with a situation like this, or any insight into how these processes generally work? I’m particularly interested in knowing why a strong pre-read wouldn’t result in a likely letter, especially when academic and athletic qualifications align so strongly.

Any advice, thoughts, or similar stories would be greatly appreciated.

The OP is welcome to repost under their original account. Since Terms of Service prohibits multiple accounts, I am closing this thread.